Notices

30 days in....

Old 05-25-2021, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 days in....

Basking in the glow of my new life 30 days later, my heart is full. My days are spent in service to others and being present for myself and the people in my life. I'm open to receiving the gifts that are given to me without fear. I feel powerful, healthy and joyful with limitless opportunities and potential. I am released from the anxiety and fear that life once held. My optimum mind body and spirit are connected now as they never have been before. Today I take care of myself daily with kindness, honesty and purpose. I am so much stronger physically, mentally and emotionally. I am unafraid of what others think and live my life content knowing the person that I am. I look forward with giddy abandon at what the future. I rarely think about my sobriety in terms of years. - Daily Vision Statement Review (30 day Sobriety Solution):

For me, celebrating sobriety is about reflecting back on “trying to do the next right thing” for the past days or, more honestly, for the past hours. It also means staying humble and grateful that, with the help of countless people, I’ve been able to get back up the same number of times I’ve fallen down. And I fall a lot.

The biggest learnings from the past attempts at sobriety are twofold:

1. Own the stories and the hard ****, or the stories you’re trying to outrun and the pain you’re denying will own you. The truth will set you free. It will kick your ass first, but then it will set you free.

2. We don’t have to do the hard stuff alone. We weren’t meant to. We heal in connection.

The gifts that have accompanied my daily and sometimes hourly decision to feel instead of numb have been too many to name, but the one that I rarely talk about is how my sobriety has affected my level of self-trust.

Trust as a marble jar. We build trust like we collect marbles – one small gesture at a time. It’s not a big, sweeping act or a single gesture in a stressful moment. Trust is a collection of small moments.

We talk about trust between people and groups, but we often forget about self-trust. Self-trust is normally the first casualty of failure or mistakes. We stop trusting ourselves when we hurt, get hurt, feel shame, or question our worth.

Here’s how to use the BRAVING tool to think about self-trust:

B - Did I respect my own boundaries? Was I clear about what’s okay and what’s not okay?
R - Was I reliable? Did I do what I said I was going to do?
A - Did I hold myself accountable?
V - Did I respect the vault and share appropriately?
I - Did I act from my integrity?
N- Did I ask for what I needed? Was I nonjudgmental about needing help?
G - Was I generous toward myself?

Today, I’m putting 1 marble in my self-trust jar. One for every month of my messy, hard af, wonderful, wholehearted, imperfect, sober life.

- Borrowed and followed From Brene Brown

STAY - 31 days tomorrow....

Last edited by livingintegrity; 05-25-2021 at 07:30 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 05-25-2021, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good post.

Could you explain this one a bit?
V - Did I respect the vault and share appropriately?
What is the vault?

**edit to say, I found this: https://bloomsoup.com/braving-brene-brown/
Old 05-25-2021, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Livingintegrity, congratulations on your month of sobriety. I love Brene Brown.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love this too! I love Brene.....this is stuff that is helpful to all of us and thank you for sharing this. It's been great to read today
Old 05-25-2021, 11:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know who Breen Brown is but I love your post! Congrats on 30 days....that's an awesome start to a lifetime of sobriety. You go!
Old 05-25-2021, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober months!
Old 05-25-2021, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh, Brene Brown. I remember her! She did a book signing tour several years back and I’m not sure if I even read the book/s but I’ll make sure I find them and do so. I did enjoy her talk though!

Thank you for posting! x
Old 05-25-2021, 05:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like you have a good handle on things Livingintegrity

D
Old 05-25-2021, 11:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days sober!
Old 05-26-2021, 10:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days. I really enjoyed your post, especially the part where you assert that being willing to fully feel one’s emotions will lead eventually to a calm and serene state of mind. I have always fled my feelings because they’re so painful, especially when my brother passed on and I never even allowed myself to acknowledge it because it felt like it would kill me to do so.

I admire and even envy your bravery to face your feelings and I am noting especially that it requires a day to day if not moment to moment commitment.