Notices

First attempt - help!!

Old 02-15-2021, 11:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First attempt - help!!

Hi everyone, so today was day one of me trying to not drink and I can barely go an hour without getting the shakes and nausea. Not sure I can do this because it's become so much a part of my life. Anyways I'm just grateful to be on this forum. Any advice is definitely welcomed. Does anyone know how to stop the violence shakes?
Old 02-15-2021, 11:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd consider calling your doctor if you have violent shakes.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Joey, this is a great forum to support you in your recovery plan. As for violent shakes, alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous. You should definitely call ER or head over there, they can help you through the withdrawal.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, @Joey21! I'm glad you found us here.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Joey
If you're having violent shakes please get yourself to the ER or your own doctor.

Your health is really important and really too important to leave to self management.

D
Old 02-16-2021, 02:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree. With such a violent withdrawal see a doctor. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous. Many of us don't need it, but what you describe is something I would at least see a doctor about.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

You 100% need a doctor!
but, welcome
Old 02-16-2021, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As everyone else has commented - alcohol withdrawal can quite literally be LETHAL!
Old 02-16-2021, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey there!
Good for you for starting this journey, that alone needs a pat on the back. Great for you for posting here, that is a huge step! The good news is that many like you and even worse off than you have managed this journey and found meaningful and fulfilling lives beyond anything they ever imagined. If you are having heavy withdrawal systems, a doctor may be necessary. I personally went to AA after many repeated relapses and took the program seriously. If you have any resistances, you can at least make a friend or two, there are plenty of great sober people there. Some of those in the program would spend many hours per day in meetings, especially in the beginning. Things get MUCH easier as time passes. You can get through this initial hurtle, but unlikely you can do it alone.
Wishing you all the best
Old 02-16-2021, 09:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Can't go to ER or detox right now

First off thank you to everyone who replied with encouraging words and support. It's much appreciated. I hear what you all are saying but as of right now I cannot go to the ER or detox because I have a very sick cat that I cannot leave and will not leave. Does anyone have any suggestions are coping strategies when the shakes get really bad? Thank you
Old 02-16-2021, 09:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Hello and Welcome Joey
I agree with the above that you should consider speaking with your Doctor.
Please keep coming back
Old 02-16-2021, 09:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Joey, you should find a way to leave your cat for a few hours if you can get to a medical appointment. If you are drinking enough to have severe detox symptoms within an hour of quitting, are you leaving your cat for several hours each day as it is when you descend into our drunken brand of sleep?
Old 02-16-2021, 10:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is really no advice we can offer as to how to deal with the shakes and symptoms you're having. We can't offer medical advice and your situation sounds quite risky. Please consider going to an ER.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Joey - Welcome - this is a great place for encouragement as you get free of alcohol dependency.
I know it's not convenient for you right now, but I have to agree with the others about calling a dr. to stay safe. I hope you'll continue posting - we care about you.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Joey, I can see you have already been given sound advice . And while I am also unable to give medical advice, I can share that I once had a seizure from trying to get sober with no medical assistance. It’s not great fun. You need to ask yourself how your very sick cat will go if you have a seizure and/or die while withdrawing. It may be that you can detox at home with medication , if that is your preference - but you still need to see a doctor. You need to put on your own oxygen mask, first.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Never

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
Joey, you should find a way to leave your cat for a few hours if you can get to a medical appointment. If you are drinking enough to have severe detox symptoms within an hour of quitting, are you leaving your cat for several hours each day as it is when you descend into our drunken brand of sleep?
My cats have never gone without or suffered in any way. It doesn't matter how out of it I am, my fur babies will ALWAYS come first, even before me. But I thank you, and everyone so much. It helps to read all the supportive resp
Old 02-16-2021, 11:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joey21 View Post
My cats have never gone without or suffered in any way. It doesn't matter how out of it I am, my fur babies will ALWAYS come first, even before me. But I thank you, and everyone so much. It helps to read all the supportive resp
That’s probably what I thought about my kids, too. That I put them first - before me. I had given up on me, and was living “for them”. But it wasn’t true at the end of my active drinking days.

No one is asking you not to care for your cats. To the contrary, they are asking you to make a hard decision as their parent to ensure you are there for them long term. To really care for them. It’s great that you are here and seeking help. It’s a huge first step. So at some level you already recognise this is part of that. That you need to be sober for you and for your fur babies . But if your withdrawal symptoms are very severe, it’s likely that you will either go back to drinking or otherwise not be able to care for them in the way you want. So knowing that, you need to take the next step. Making a call to a drug and alcohol service or your doctor is just part of putting your cats first.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Please seek medical assistance for a proper withdrawal.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

"Violent shakes" always require medical attention Joey.

What do you mean by "violent"? People are obviously, and rightly concerned.

It won't prevent the shakes Joey, but water/hydration is important.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Joey the only advice we are allowed to give you is to seek professional medical treatment, particularly if the shakes are as violent as you say.

I think you owe the same duty of care to yourself that you owe your cat.

How are the shakes now?

D