Notices

First attempt - help!!

Old 02-21-2021, 05:19 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
My cats were a huge part of why I got sober.

So Joey, I lost one cat while I was still drinking. I feel bad for him that his last years were spent with smelly, self-absorbed me.

I got sober and four years later I lost another cat. (Both had CKD, both needed special care at the end.) I felt bad that he died of course but I felt really good about Myself that I had given him four years of a not-smelly self-absorbed me. When I drank I managed to feed them and clean the litter box daily and give them their meds but I was usually pretty out of it in general and did not have a lot of tenderness to give because I was too wrapped up in my own misery/drink/feel better/hungover/misery/repeat cycle.

Now my third (and LAST!) cat is winding down. I think she's around 20 years old. When she goes it will be devastating but every day I talk to her, sit with her several times a day, and any time she comes to me I stop what I'm doing to just love on her. I'll remember that as her last days. I've done absolutely everything I can do to show her unselfish love, just as she's done for me for 20 years.

It would have been horrible if I had died of my alcoholism or a heart attack or something due to my drinking and left these cats alone. That was a very real possibility. I would wake at 3AM daily with a racing pounding heart due to drinking. Terrified.

If you are doing a taper, do you have a set plan? Like it shouldn't take more than three or four days to completely quit even if you're doing a taper without medical help...don't let this decision drag on for weeks until he does die and then you'll likely use that as a reason to drink heavily. Not only that, but don't forget cats have nine lives. I don't know how many times I've thought, "This is it!" and my cat rallies for another day.

What's your plan for drinking today?
thank you for your experience and advice. I don't really have an exact set plan in place but I'm just trying to maintain enough so I don't have the violent shakes so I can be there for my cat. I know what you're saying but trust me my cats don't go without anything and maybe they do know when I'm not in a great state but they always know how much they are loved. And with my one cat sick there's no way I'm leaving him. I really hope the tapering works and if it doesn't then I'll have to reassess and go from there. I'm so sorry about your cats. It's so hard losing a member of your family because to me my cats are my family. Not doing so great today had a few too many. But I'm sure I'll get back on track tomorrow again. Just been a rough day
Old 02-21-2021, 05:20 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joey21 View Post
thank you so much, I will do that
things are going pretty shity as my cat's health is deteriorating and I can't help it or make him better. I've been doing pretty good with the tapering off system, or so I thought. But it doesn't take much to just say **** it and overindulge
Old 02-21-2021, 05:40 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
You can absolutely beat this thing Joey. It does end up controlling every aspect of our lives and that is an awful reality. When you are ready you can get on top of this problem. Keep posting and letting us know how things are going.
my cats getting worse and making me want to just drink to forget. I cuddle him and spoil him but when he has that look in his eyes it just makes me sink. Maybe I'm using him as an excuse to keep drinking but regardless I will not leave him in his time of need. But I thank you for your support because I am willing and wanting to stop this ****
Old 02-22-2021, 04:05 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your cat Joey. I will say one more time that your status as a great caretaker to your pets would not be compromised in any way if you sought medical help. Think about a longer time horizon with you as a healthy sober person who is fully there for your other animals and more animals to come down the road who need a home. I know your retort will be that your cats come first, that they want for nothing, that you are comforting your sick cat in his time of need. I am only humbly suggesting that your life is as important as your cat's life. Worried about you.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:14 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joey21 View Post
thank you for your experience and advice. I don't really have an exact set plan in place but I'm just trying to maintain enough so I don't have the violent shakes so I can be there for my cat. I know what you're saying but trust me my cats don't go without anything and maybe they do know when I'm not in a great state but they always know how much they are loved. And with my one cat sick there's no way I'm leaving him. I really hope the tapering works and if it doesn't then I'll have to reassess and go from there. I'm so sorry about your cats. It's so hard losing a member of your family because to me my cats are my family. Not doing so great today had a few too many. But I'm sure I'll get back on track tomorrow again. Just been a rough day
See, but this is the problem.

It's been seven days since your first post.

Seven days. You're still drinking and still drinking, "a few too many," is not a taper.

A taper has a plan and an end and doesn't need to be more than two to four days. You could have been done days ago but instead you're drinking too much - again.

Your drinking is not getting better, and your mental health isn't either.

If you can't or won't get medical help and you can't taper - what's your Plan for stopping? I mean, some people find it so difficult to taper that they decide it doesn't work at all. Have you tried AA meetings?

I tapered off in less than three days. BUT what I learned is that tapering doesn't work if I allow myself more than two drinks, ever. After two drinks, all bets are off and I would just keep drinking - just like you are saying in your last couple posts.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:30 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
See, but this is the problem.

It's been seven days since your first post.

Seven days. You're still drinking and still drinking, "a few too many," is not a taper.

A taper has a plan and an end and doesn't need to be more than two to four days. You could have been done days ago but instead you're drinking too much - again.

Your drinking is not getting better, and your mental health isn't either.

If you can't or won't get medical help and you can't taper - what's your Plan for stopping? I mean, some people find it so difficult to taper that they decide it doesn't work at all. Have you tried AA meetings?

I tapered off in less than three days. BUT what I learned is that tapering doesn't work if I allow myself more than two drinks, ever. After two drinks, all bets are off and I would just keep drinking - just like you are saying in your last couple posts.
when you've been drinking 3 bottles of wine a day plus more, I feel that I'm tapering down at a good rate. Yes I screw up and have one too many once in a blue moon, but I do think that I can do this with tapering. Just not as fast as someone else like you might have done. My tapering is going to take quite a few weeks before I see results. I'm determined to do it because of my cat and I appreciate all your input. My addictions counsellor has signed off on this method although I did put a call into the RAAM Clinic