Notices

Anxiety

Old 01-24-2021, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

Anxiety off the charts and having tried everything else (apart from drinking, fortunately) it is time for me to re-consider medication.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do understand this. I am sorry to hear it is so bad for you. Zencat, Bimini and others helped me greatly with "tools" to use when I get into episodes. The mental health section has a thread started if you want to check it out....just until you get the medications. Here for you.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dude, try deep breathing. Google 4-7-8 breathing. It honestly works, proven in Eastern religions over millenia, but best if done daily. Still, it always helps me.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here is a tool that was shown to me from Bimini!

https://www.healthline.com/health/bo...#slowly-exhale
Old 01-24-2021, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Seeking wisdom

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
Anxiety off the charts and having tried everything else (apart from drinking, fortunately) it is time for me to re-consider medication.
I hear you !I have so much anxiety when I get the urge to drink and Im driving - I literally go blank in my mind and aimlessly drive to liquor store, buy alcohol, chug it and then think I feel better. When in reality it was what gave me permanent depression and more anxiety. I went on medication and it stopped working about 8 years ago, so now I am looking for a new medication. If only I could find a good psychiatrist. They are hard to find in the new state I moved to.
Deep breathing too works !
Old 01-24-2021, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I've been extremely anxious this weekend. It can be scary, depending on the physical symptoms, right? Mine includes chest pain at its worst. Ugh.

breathing helps
acknowledging this is happening helps
knowing it will subside helps

But yeah, sometimes all we can do is live through it. I am on medication and it has lessened these episodes considerably. I'm definitely a proponent of consulting with your favorite addiction-savvy physician.

Hang in there.
I know it sucks. It will pass.

O

Old 01-24-2021, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The best thing i did to help my anxiety was quit drinking. Drinking caused in the morning panic attacks, anxiety about what i said or did the night before, not to mention normal life anxiety stuff. I also have meds from my doctor for emergency anxiety/panic attacks. I don't need them tho if I'm not drinking, but it comforts me to have them.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

are you feeling any better Sort?

D
Old 01-24-2021, 07:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There are some natural supplements as an alternative. I would list them here but we're not allowed. Ask your doctor about them. They have done wonders for me.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Samantha

I would talk to your doctor. They can prescribe meds, supplements, even a therapist, or websites that would help, depending on what you're open to.
I have horrible anxiety too.
It's always been bad, not jusy when drinking.
I get a ton of exercise, eat better than most, take meds, etc. Nothing works. I'm just always anxious, all the time.
good news is fitbit counts my panic attacks as "zone minutes".
Old 01-25-2021, 04:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How are you feeling today sort?
Old 01-25-2021, 04:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hope you are feeling better today
Old 01-25-2021, 05:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
How you doing today? I know I often post bout it as a joke, but when I spoke to my therapist he said there is something in it..

What i ate made a huge difference to me. Porridge for breakfast seemed to literally soak up the anxiety. I know it's not a catch all or solve-all but it's worth a try? Slow release carbs and exercise really did make a huge amount of difference for me

Hope you have a better day today
Old 01-25-2021, 07:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
The best thing i did to help my anxiety was quit drinking. Drinking caused in the morning panic attacks, anxiety about what i said or did the night before, not to mention normal life anxiety stuff. I also have meds from my doctor for emergency anxiety/panic attacks. I don't need them tho if I'm not drinking, but it comforts me to have them.
This! Absolutely same for me including having emergency meds--just in case. But I don't need them when I don't drink.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How are things SortOfHomeComin? I hope you are feeling better. Anxiety can still hit me out of the blue and it is not fun. Here in anxious solidarity with you!!
Old 01-27-2021, 07:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi. Thank you very much for all your replies, which I have read.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I will try to implement some of the solutions, yes I have tried the 4-7-8 breathing thing before.

I was just told that 5 people who used to go to my old AA group have separately been diagnosed with COVID. Most are long term sober and most were in good health, fwiw. I have no information on how they could have contracted it or what their conditions are.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope they will all make a complete recovery Sort.

D