A little funny, and a little sad

Old 01-22-2021, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A little funny, and a little sad

My husband and I just recently bought and moved into our first home together, which is very exciting! His drinking has increased during this time due to the stress and ease of getting alcohol at the new location (ofc drizzly delivers &#128580.

Early last week he had a more substantial breakdown, and had been improving over the week since then. Yesterday he went out to get groceries, and the temptation to grab something on the way proved too great. Once I got home from work, it was clear he'd had some. Not enough to fall over, but enough it was clear to me immediately.

I'm rather used to that roller coaster at this point, and wasn't particularly upset or surprised. I asked him directly if he'd had anything, and he confirmed. We talked a bit, but I didn't push it. We were working together to assemble our new computer desks that had just arrived, which was frustrating as assembling furniture usually is, but nothing too bad.

The funny part occurred when I handed him the vacuum to clean off the pieces, and he calls to me from the other room asking "how do I turn it on?" I've always been the one doing nearly all of the chores, and hearing him ask how to turn on the vacuum we've had for the 5 years we shared an apartment was a rather poignant reminder of the discrepancy!

It's funny to tell my coworker (who's husband also struggles with alcoholism) about, and made us laugh, but kind of bitter sweet in that it points out my own enabling habits as well.

My hubby will do chores if directly asked, but very rarely initiates them. Generally if I don't do it, it just won't get done. I've found success in listing two chores that need to be done, and ask which he'll do (would you rather clean the bathroom or vacuum? 3 guesses as to which he picks) while I do the other. That way it's not me "controling" him, though it would be nice if he initiated more chores without needing to be told.

Does anyone else have those little moments?
Old 01-22-2021, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Cookie! Yeah I can relate, just that my partner is sober. But he's never really dealt with anything other than his career in his life to this point and I often feel like I have to teach him everything from scratch. We started dating about 2 years ago and he's willing to learn. He now knows how to cook a few dishes and how to do the laundry. But we just moved in together and I often wish too, he would just see the things that need to be done and do them. But then again, I feel like that's a common problem not just amongst alcoholics, that many men are not overly involved in household chores...
Old 01-22-2021, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

@Kevlar it definitely seems to be a guy thing, doesn't it? I never really know what the correct answer is. On one hand, I enable that by just doing the chores myself. On the other, I feel like he should be able to see things need to be done, and initiate it without being told, or do it without the expectation of receiving praise or some reward for it. Yet if I don't tell him that, he clearly doesn't see it. It's... confusing and a little silly I suppose
Old 01-22-2021, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

LOL.....I agree that most domestic tasks are still left to women, more than the men----even when the women have full time jobs outside of the home and when they have children.
At one time, my second husband (the sweet wonderful one) had worked directing the clean up of massive train derailments. A massive responsibility. Yet, he seemed to be challenged by some simple household tasks.
lol....one time, I attempted to teach him how to cook some simple dishes. My first "lesson" was to teach him to make rice krispy treats. After all, my children could make them when they were still very young.
Before it was over....there were dirty utensils all over the kitchen...and marshmallow fluff in his hair, all over the counters and his clothes. It looked like something had exploded.
I never did give him another cooking lesson.
I just gave up on my campaign to teach him how to cook.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Before it was over....there were dirty utensils all over the kitchen...and marshmallow fluff in his hair, all over the counters and his clothes. It looked like something had exploded.
Lol, yes! He is terrible at dishes! We don't have a dishwasher installed yet, so it's back to hand washing. He was watching me wash the dishes the other night, and was like "I'm sorry you're the dish slave." I looked him dead in the eye and said "I'm not, you can do the dishes too you know."

He tried to back out of it by saying how bad he'd be at it, I just started laughing at him about it being literally the most menial task you can assign to someone! Put soap on the sponge, rub the sponge against the dishes, rinse and repeat.

The worst part is, he does the dishes sometimes now, but he really does wash them badly. 🤣
Old 01-22-2021, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Haha, I pictured that cooking scene dandylion and it made me lol! I'm glad I didn't give up on my partner learning to cook although he was nearly in tears the first time he tried to follow my recipe as everything went wrong and he got so stressed out. Then I broke it down into small tasks like him only prepping the veggies, next time, he'd make the whole pasta sauce, eventually he'd make the whole dish. I also encouraged him to take a lot of notes as he hasn't the best memory.

One thing I've often heard from men who never do any chores without being asked but are willing to help once things are pointed out, is that they just don't see the work that needs to be done. Just like a kid. My partner asked to have a clear "territory" over which he is responsible, that would make it easier. Like vacuuming or laundry. For us that works great.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Cookie.....I don't see it as "silly". I just see it as going up against generations of cultural sexism in that department.
I see it as all about what they have been taught and what they learned----and what we were taught and learned, also!!
My husband would, also, do (or try to) do any specific task that was ASKED of him---like, maybe, carrying a heavy basket of laundry, for me.
What makes sense, to me, is to try to take it out of the morality zone and keep it in the zone of "work that just needs to be done"...and, then try to problem solve it, as a couple, from there.
Negotiate it out---like most problems in a marriage---negotiate, negotiate, negotiate.

I will say, that if a man is drunk and can't effecienty or willingly do a specific task....then I think that alcoholism comes into the situation---more than just lack of equity about household responsibilities.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Cookie,

Oh I can relate! You are not alone in this. While my RAW knows how to turn on the vacuum and cook and do the laundry. I find like your husband she wont initiate the process of chores or cooking unless I ask her. she will pawn it off to one of the kids or wait till i do it saying your better at it then i am. I don't know how many times i have heard the phrase "We need to clean or do this" which means i need to put it on my to do list.

Why some things i don't mind doing. she is not a morning person, I am, so i am the one making us breakfast and coffee and bringing it to her. It would be nice if every now and then I would get ask if I needed something or hay it's the weekend I'll make breakfast and coffee.

Growing up my mom made sure me and my two brothers knew how to cook and do chores around the house. So when we were out on our own, we knew more then how to throw a pizza in the oven. So a lot of it boils down to how the child was brought up.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kevlarsjal2 View Post
One thing I've often heard from men who never do any chores without being asked but are willing to help once things are pointed out, is that they just don't see the work that needs to be done. Just like a kid. My partner asked to have a clear "territory" over which he is responsible, that would make it easier. Like vacuuming or laundry. For us that works great.
Yes, I definitely think he just doesn't see it. Before we lived together, he had a bachelor pad with two friends from college. All of them were... disgusting. Like, they had a really nice set of dishes one of their mothers had given them. They used it once, then never washed it, and ask just used paper plates rather than do any dishes. They had pizza boxes stacked to the ceiling. That sort of thing. So his... threshold for "this is bad and needs cleaning" is *slightly* higher than mine. I guess I need to just say my thoughts better, it just often feels easier to just do it to the level of clean I want it.

I will say, that if a man is drunk and can't effecienty or willingly do a specific task....then I think that alcoholism comes into the situation---more than just lack of equity about household responsibilities.
His drinking has definitely interfered with his ability to do chores, past his general aversion to them. The harder part is when he's had just enough to drink to feel good, but still function (like in my original story) he's really motivated to do things like assemble furniture. But you know, he's still got alcohol in his system, so he's not great at the task. 🙄
Old 01-22-2021, 10:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ironwill View Post
Growing up my mom made sure me and my two brothers knew how to cook and do chores around the house. So when we were out on our own, we knew more then how to throw a pizza in the oven. So a lot of it boils down to how the child was brought up.

Yeah, definitely. His mom is...a thread in herself lol. She's a very classic narcissistic alcoholic, and absolutely where he learned his habits from. She's very quick to complain and say people don't help. But from personal experience, if you do help, you are doing it wrong. Once on vacation I started doing the dishes after breakfast, she literally stood over my shoulder telling me I wasn't filling the sink right, wasn't scrubbing right, etc until she told me she would just do it. So I can absolutely understand where his hesitation to initiate any chores comes from. It gives me a bit of a complex too, because I want to explain and show him how I do things, but I don't want to come across as the same way.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Cookie......does it occur to you that both of the people that you have trouble in the chore department with----both are drinkers? Maybe the drinking is the problem and not your own "unreasonablemenss"?
What do you think?
Old 01-22-2021, 10:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wait, how do you not fill the sink right. turn on water and add soap. start with glasses, then on to plates, last any pots and pans. Maybe you not scrubbing in a counter clockwise motion. Cause that will make all the difference. LOL
Old 01-22-2021, 11:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Cookie......does it occur to you that both of the people that you have trouble in the chore department with----both are drinkers? Maybe the drinking is the problem and not your own "unreasonablemenss"?
What do you think?
Yes, I know! My therapist has told me to keep an eye out for my own self doubt and depreciation. It's that fear of being the stereotypical "nagging wife" perhaps. I know he is an adult, and makes his own choices whether to clean or not. I guess I just feel I've enabled his laziness as well, because it's easier to me to just do the chores so I know they're done right.

Originally Posted by ironwill View Post
Wait, how do you not fill the sink right. turn on water and add soap. start with glasses, then on to plates, last any pots and pans. Maybe you not scrubbing in a counter clockwise motion. Cause that will make all the difference. LOL
Lol I think it was because I had filled a bowl with the soap water instead of the whole sink or some nonsense.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Cookie......You knew of his housekeeping attitudes and aptitudes when you married him, right?
I think any couples therapist with tell you, that, when a couple starts to argue over the shoes in the middle of the floor or some such thing---that the REAL issue is something bigger or deeper---and, the arguments is over the "safer" issue to discuss----that the deeper issue is to scary to address, directly.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My AH will do chores when sober on his own. He doesn't have much work, can't drive anyway, so he's home most days. He will pick up the puppy toys, vacuum, wipe down counters, and switch laundry loads. When he's drinking he just makes messes, things strewn everywhere, won't do much of anything even if asked.

Sometimes it's frustrating because I work away from home with a 3 hour round trip commute. If the house is still standing and everyone is in tact I usually just let it be. I might mutter a few "thoughts" under my breath though. Lol
Old 01-22-2021, 01:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cookie......You knew of his housekeeping attitudes and aptitudes when you married him, right?
I think any couples therapist with tell you, that, when a couple starts to argue over the shoes in the middle of the floor or some such thing---that the REAL issue is something bigger or deeper---and, the arguments is over the "safer" issue to discuss----that the deeper issue is to scary to address, directly.
Yes, I definitely did. We lived together 3 years before getting married, so I knew what I was in for. Like I said, I can be picky too. It's usually easier to do the chore myself, so I just do it. I know it has been a failure in my communication too, because I feel that frustration, but haven't always articulated it properly. After a while those roles become very entrenched, and it's hard to suggest changes.

Originally Posted by HopeUnending View Post
My AH will do chores when sober on his own. He doesn't have much work, can't drive anyway, so he's home most days. He will pick up the puppy toys, vacuum, wipe down counters, and switch laundry loads. When he's drinking he just makes messes, things strewn everywhere, won't do much of anything even if asked.

Sometimes it's frustrating because I work away from home with a 3 hour round trip commute. If the house is still standing and everyone is in tact I usually just let it be. I might mutter a few "thoughts" under my breath though. Lol
I'm definitely familiar with muttering under my breath lol. I'm sorry your commute is so long, I could never handle that much driving!
Old 01-23-2021, 06:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'd have to say, that I think my AH has done less and less around the house as his alcoholism gets worse. I always try to just tell myself that these are things that I'd be doing even if he wasn't in the house. Yes, the toilets need cleaned more often, more trash is generated, carpet needs vacuuming more often, etc. It is sad but I think he has regressed in maturity. I think of him as an immature man child who plays stupid video games excessively and gets **** faced repeatedly. I don't bother asking him to do anything. I'm not his mother. I've had so many discussions and fights with him about it with no sort of improvement so I'm done talking about it. I also plan about 90% of the meals and do about 75-80% of the cooking too. It's complete ******** and unfair. Honestly though, I don't really want him cooking because he just doesn't have the ability to do it well anymore. If I want a good meal, I have to do it. And for the most part, I do enjoy cooking (I do get sick of it sometimes). Sorry, I went off on my own little rant. But does any of this sound familiar? I just think this stuff goes hand in hand with a functioning alcoholic as they get less functional.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flower959 View Post
ISorry, I went off on my own little rant. But does any of this sound familiar? I just think this stuff goes hand in hand with a functioning alcoholic as they get less functional.
Yeah, it definitely does. My hubby actually does a lot of the cooking recently (since he's working from home it's easier for him), but most of the other chores fall to me. The other day I took a half day from work so that I could buckle down on some projects that I hadn't been able to do over the weekend. I hung two new coat racks, 3 towel racks, built a bookshelf, set up a new vet for our cat, meet with the landscaper about regrading our lawn, cleaned out all the packing Styrofoam, cut up the boxes, took out the trash, did the dishes, and fed/pilled the cat. I was basically super woman, and it was incredibly gratifying to just be on a role.

During that time he did one load of laundry, and slept off whatever he'd had in the morning. Before bed he at least made it to the toilet to throw up, so hurray for that. It's disappointing. I would have liked to share that progress on our house with him more.