Notices

Not a morning person :)

Old 01-09-2021, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not a morning person :)

It’s lockdown 2 here in the UK. I’m not massively affected, but I’m starting to get annoyed with the restrictions. The gyms are closed. I can’t train with my sports team. I haven’t seen my brothers in months. Plus I’m a trainee teacher at a new school. The classes are currently a mix of kids attending in school and online. It’s not a great situation for the kids or teachers. I get wound up more now by first world problems such as no parking space, having to walk in the snow and then not being able to get in the school as my badges, etc, aren’t activated yet.

But if it sound grumpy now, two or more years ago, I’d have had a hangover to contend with too and would’ve snapped at a receptionist or whoever crossed my path. There are more than a few people out there who’d recognise me again for a morning outburst, and that’s not a good feeling.

This week - it was freezing too - I’ve sure been glad I don’t drink.

Let’s be nice, folks.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The lockdown in the UK isn’t great, and similarly to you, the gyms being closed is really annoying. Home workouts just aren’t the same.

But as you say, it’s great to be waking up without a hangover and I find myself snapping a lot less and also I’m not grumpy anymore! I eventually just thought I was a naturally grumpy person, but actually I was so easily irritable because I felt like crap all of the time.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hangover / drinking etc - self inflicted
More annoying - being hungry, not having a job / not getting paid, terminal illness, homeless not having roof over your head.
Gratitude for what we have in our lives that many others don't have and also not suffering under alcoholism
Old 01-10-2021, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Hodd. Isn't it great to be able to face a less than ideal day sober and healthy and with a quiet mind? As you said, times are frustrating right now but at least we aren't self-bludgeoned zombies wandering around trying to navigate all of this hung over and miserable. Being sober and clear-headed also allow us to have a more adult-like response to irritants like health regulations, rather than pitching childish fits about not being told what to do by anyone and conflating measures designed to keep us healthy with a loss of freedom. Sober, we can leave childish shouting and tantrums to the children and get on with our day.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi S19, I’m still a grump until lunchtime, but it’s all relative

I’ve never smoked thankfully, and whilst I don’t understand the attraction, I symphathise with any form of addiction. Saying that, I can’t abide smokers who get shirty because they’re missing their hourly fix, and a lot of smokers are plain unreasonable. That was me, though, with a hangover
Old 01-10-2021, 07:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It’s lockdown 2 here in the UK. I’m not massively affected, but I’m starting to get annoyed with the restrictions.

The good news is that there are several vaccines now available that will probably get us back to "normal" (whatever that is) later this year.

Successful vaccine development usually takes several years, if not decades to happen. If that were the case with Covid - 19, then it would probably happen beyond my expected life span.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Here in the US things are teetering these days. No political commentary allowed.

I try to avoid the news because there is not much I can do except take care of myself (stay sober/live clean) and my family. But, I still find myself searching for the good online and TV.

In searching for positive intake I am watching "Won't You Be My Neighbor." It is about this guy from the 60's, Fred Rodgers, aka Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood. He was a religious man whose calling was trying to help kids understand how to make their way.

I was about 4 years old when he got really big. I haven't finished the movie yet, but I relate strongly to his message and believe this is because I watched many many episodes of his show as a little kid.

I went through some drama as a little kid like war, divorce, and drugs. So, I am watching this program and having a smile. That is probably one of the best things I could be doing with my foundation. Finding happiness. "So, let's make the most of this beautiful day, since were together we might as well say....da da da da...blah blah blah blah...my neighbor." Love this song.

Anyway, I don't go out much due to covid. I cook more and am systematically cleansing my home of 20 years of entry level hoarding from me and my wife (when she is not looking). She gave me the green light to do this during a recent spat/make up session.

I am optimistic covid is going to be controlled soon. But, I don't expect to live as long any more. Some weird disease will probably take me out sooner than otherwise. But, at least I won't be further hamstrung by booze. Additionally, I am starting to spend some of my retirement nest egg because of covid.

Party on in a healthy way!

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m not so pessimistic although it’s annoying this pandemic popped up in our time.

Remember, the Spanish flu, which was so named as other countries were too demoralised after WW1 to report further bad news, and Spain decided to let the world know, fizzled out after a couple of years. That virus mutated into colds and flu, the various forms of which are still mutating and with us today. Covid-19 would presumably also have mutated into less harmful forms.

Apparently, as I don’t believe any figures, the number of healthy under 60 year olds in the UK to have died from Covid is under 400. The amount of road deaths in that age group in the same period must be way higher. I don’t think I’m a Covidiot, and I can see it’s a serious virus, but to impose a lockdown on healthy youngsters who are supporting the economy does seem to be overkill. I’m far more likely to be killed driving in my car - I’m supposedly a key worker so am allowed to drive still - than from Covid.

Hopefully this odd situation will end soon, but I’d advise people to be careful what they read. The amount of bs is astronomical.

I haven’t seen any figures to show increased drinking, but I can see the boxes of beer stacked up in supermarkets. The liver and cardio health knock on effects of Covid lockdowns will linger on for decades, so let’s all stay healthy, steer clear of booze and get some exercise. We’ll all be the healthiest people out there when Covid’s gone
Old 01-10-2021, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nez

The pandemic has brought many changes to our world. The house is getting a little chilly so I am going to restock the woodstove. While doing that I will tell my wife that I love her. I work in an event center and with cancellations due to the pandemic, I have no work at the moment. The dog is letting me know it is time to go outside to take care of business and to check on the status of boogies on our property. Even though it is winter, there is no snow on the ground and the sun is out, so I can sense a spin on the motorcycle is in order. I don't plan on stopping anywhere, but I will take my mask just in case.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Samantha

Lockdown here too.... not allowed to do much....a few outdoor things. But no gyms, libraries, hair cuts or nails, not even an AA meeting, can't shop for anything "non-essential".
but, liquor and weed are essential because you can buy those any day lol!!!
But I can't buy new workout clothes for my online workouts.....or dumbbell.

I'm angry.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I’m not a book person, which is a shame as I used to be, but I notice UK libraries are still
open. I think that’s a good thing as who can begrudge someone wanting to read, but I think gyms are an example of somewhere equally important. I was at my gym spraying everything I touched. I don’t see people spraying books.

And as for pubs, they can stay shut. Even as a drinker, I found them dull, and before this current lockdown, the pubs I walked past were packed with people. I’m not a Covid nazi as I think people need fresh air and exercise and even to see friends and family at a distance, but crowding into a pub is pretty stupid.