Notices

Thank you

Old 12-27-2020, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank you

It's only been a few days since I joined, but I already feel like the clouds are starting to clear. I know it will be a long road but I am confident I can do it. I know what I really need to do is heal the reasons why I was drinking to numb myself. Some reasons will be much harder to get over. I may never forgive myself for one of the main reasons I began drinking so much in recent years, but I may be able to work through it.
Reading so many others' advice and stories is already helping me.
And I want to thank the good friend of mine who told me of this site. Your friendship may be relatively new, but it is so comforting to have someone that I am able to finally share all the dark secrets that have led me here.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gushna, I'm so glad you're doing well and feeling good. And, for me, the really hard work began in early recovery. Stopping drinking is essential, but I still needed to deal with decades of issues that I had ignored. It was hard to do, but I took it very slowly and did what I felt I could manage at one time. You're doing great.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gushna, I'm glad you're here and glad you're doing well. Keep posting!
Old 12-27-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A support group is very valuable for many of us. I've heard of alcoholics who quit entirely on their own, but I know a group helped me, and I'm not sure if I could have made it over the first hump without it. Contact with others who have gone through it provides information about alcoholism, of which I had relatively little, tips on how to identify problems we all face, and tips on how to deal with them. The biggest thing for me in the group was to be with people who were celebrating sobriety. Friday nights were especially fun. While my old friends were out getting drunk, we were celebrating the exact opposite, and in our group, the New Years Eve bashes were the best New Years Eve parties, I ever attended. It was one of our biggest turnouts, with turkey, ham, and all the trimmings, and in the middle of it all, we would settle down for an hour long meeting where we discussed sobriety. And after that, it was back to the bash with fireworks, more food, and revelry. Gosh, I miss those parties, now that I'm 3000 miles away from that group. There's so much fun you can have sober.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm glad you could join us Gushna, SR has been my main source for recovery support (nearly 6 years sober now)

One thing I learned here is that you can forgive yourself without letting yourself off the hook if that makes sense.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Gushna.

You have found a group of people who understand, and are here to listen and give support through what seems an impossible task. It's not, you know.

Hope you continue to post.

Becoming sober is the best decision you have ever made.
Old 12-27-2020, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad Gushna. This site gave me my hope back too

D
Old 12-27-2020, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Gushna,

So happy that you are here. Your post brings to mind the serenity prayer:
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference."
Good luck, keep posting!

Eddie
Old 12-27-2020, 08:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There is strength in numbers and we are many here at SR.