Notices

Hello!

Old 12-10-2020, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello!

Hey everyone!

I registered a couple of days ago but am just now writing my first post.

I had a problem with alcohol which gradually got worse through my twenties and into my thirties, and it reached its worst point during and after my divorce when I was 36. I finally stopped drinking alcohol completely at the age of 38 and was sober for 5 years and almost 2 months. Life was so much better and I was lucky enough to get remarried during this time to my wonderful second husband.

So yeah, I had a fantastic run at sobriety for 5 years and nearly 2 months, which I sadly broke at the end of October 2020. I never imagined I would ever drink alcohol again, but here I was. There are reasons why I think this happened, which I'll explore more in later posts. I drank for two nights at the end of October, was horrified that I had done so and was sober again until the very end of November 2020, when I drank on four nights.

I have managed to stop again, thank goodness, and have now been sober again for a week (my new sobriety date is December 4th 2020 - I had my last drink on December 3rd).

I was really lucky with these relapses in that I didn't go overboard and nothing bad happened, but they absolutely made me realise that drinking alcohol holds absolutely nothing beneficial for me and I just cannot go down that path again. I feel like my resolve to stay sober for good is very strong, but I thought that before my relapses! So I have promised that I will take some action and reach out to people who understand so that I have resources to call on if I ever feel tempted again. I'm really hoping to help other people stay sober too.

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to everyone! I am SO glad to be back on the sober bus again! Life really is SO much better sober for people like us.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to have you join us DarkStranger

SR helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you too

D
Old 12-10-2020, 09:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Stranger! Glad to see you here, and glad you were able to stop the relapse. We're here to support you.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You did better than me..

Five years is fantastic! Glad you made your mind up quickly to get back on the wagon. I took a lo-o-o-ng detour, when I drank again in 2017, after over 3 years of sobriety. Since then I have had several quits lasting up to 3 months but always go back to it. I can control it for awhile but it ends up controlling me. I finally made up my mind i have to stop permanently and am back here at SR where I was able to achieve long term sobriety before.

You will find many like-minded individuals here, and excellent support.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, DarkStranger! It's good to have you with us. You'll find lots of hope and understanding here.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the support and the warm welcome, everyone!
Old 12-10-2020, 11:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope we can help you get sober again for good. Lots of support here, just avail yourself of it. Read and post often, especially if you feel like drinking. Post here instead and we'll try our best to talk you out of it.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I will be celebrating five years in January 1st, and reading your post was a good reminder to me of how important it is to stay active in my recovery. Thank you for sharing your story.

This is an incredibly supportive forum, and you will find lots of support on here. Looking forward to seeing your posts and getting to know you!

Delilah
Old 12-10-2020, 11:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome DarkStranger.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone! I plan to dive right in here and post a lot.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, DarkStranger - so good to meet you. Congratulations for seeing what needed to happen & taking action.

I was once sober for 3 yrs. & decided to test the waters again. Unlike you, I didn't catch myself & vow to quit. I went on for 7 years, trying to moderate & be a social drinker. My life was chaos - worse than ever - dui's & reckless behavior. It was quit or die. That's when I found SR, & my anxiety about the whole thing calmed down. I knew I was among friends who truly understood what I was going through. I found the strength to quit forever. We're glad you're here.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DarkStranger,

It sounds like you've learned a lot about yourself and your addiction so that will benefit you as you move forward in recovery.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Stranger, I look forward to reading your posts.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Once again, a big thank you to everyone who has replied! This seems like a super-supportive place!
Old 12-11-2020, 03:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hey DarkStranger!!! I'm so glad for you!!! The fact that you faced this and took action before it ran away on you is awesome. AWESOME. The fact that you took the action to find this place - as you will discover - is also awesome. Welcome aboard and hey.... THANK YOU for helping me stay sober today (coming up on seven years of sobriety from alcohol)... your story is another of the many, many reminders I always find here that help me keep my commitment to a sober life.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR DarkStranger.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys! I'm doing well, still staying sober and committed to doing so forever.

I'm glad that my posts have already helped some of you, even if just by providing us all with a reminder never to get complacent in this sobriety journey.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Welcome to SR! I will be celebrating five years in January 1st, and reading your post was a good reminder to me of how important it is to stay active in my recovery. Thank you for sharing your story.

This is an incredibly supportive forum, and you will find lots of support on here. Looking forward to seeing your posts and getting to know you!

Delilah
Welcome DarkStranger!! So glad you found SR!

^^^Delilah is my sober twin and I second everything she wrote. Take care & stay with us......
Old 12-13-2020, 05:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Free.

Welcome to SR DarkStranger!

Old 12-13-2020, 08:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I have a similar story. After years of struggles I finally managed to get sober. I was sober for 5 1/2 years. Then I let my guard down and had a beer with dinner in a restaurant. I really struggled for the next year get sober again. My pattern was typically a 3 day bender followed by 2 weeks of sobriety. This was then followed by another 3 - 4 day bender and on and on. Don't do what I did.

Fortunately, I'm now coming up on 11 years of sobriety.