Notices

Watching Intervention

Old 12-05-2020, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Watching Intervention

Tonight is a normal Saturday night in just watching Netflix etc. I came across an episode on Intervention showcasing an alcoholic’s addiction/intervention. Watching the addict in this episode brought back memories of how I used to act while intoxicated. I would get very very angry. I would have these episodes where I would argue with people whenever I was drunk. It’s all very sad....it’s a dark place to be and you’re just so helpless. I never want to be in that headspace ever again in my life. I’m 20 days sober and hangover free today.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

That show is a good reminder of what was/what could have been if we hadn't escaped. Congratulations on your first 20.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 20

D
Old 12-05-2020, 07:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on almost 3 weeks sober!
Old 12-06-2020, 06:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

congratulations!

Intervention and shows like it are powerful reminders. Reminders that help us connect with our own stories and our own 'evidence' in our lives for why we chose sobriety are some of the most potent medicine for continued sobriety.

Keep it up!

Old 12-06-2020, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 20 days!
Old 12-06-2020, 07:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

On intervention I saw one young kid drank himself to death. I remember him living with his dad and his dad only allowing a pint after a certain time. But, of course the kid would sneak more.

Any time I am around folks drinking, I don't envy them, I study them. I try not be obvious, but I will watch as they have their first drink and so on.

Prior to covid I was at a house party and a couple showed up a bit late for dinner. There was a huge spread of buffet style food. There was a modest selection of beer and some frozen boozey drink.

I immediately realized the wife was under some apprehension because her hubby didn't want to eat "right away." Instead he started drinking. He had several drinks over the first hour or so. He wanted to get drunk and he knew eating would mess that up.

The transition from craving to drunk was clear to anyone watching. His eyes glazed over, he took over conversations. His wife brought him a plate of food. He didn't want it. He said one more drink first. She said, ok, one more and that's it.

Awkward and sad.

Glad those days are over as well.

Booze is poison. It is neuro toxin that permanently damages the CNS. The damage can be insidious. Recovery is painful. My only way out is suffering and time. It is a lifestyle change. I don't drink any more. I hate the stuff.

Thanks for the therapy.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job on 20 days sober as you continue to learn
each day how to remain sober moving forward in life.

An intervention was done on me some 30 yrs ago when
family out of concern and love placed me into the hands
of those capable of helping me get into recovery.

Thru proper channels beginning with phone calls to my
spouses company to find a claus in his health policy, to
a call for a court order, to the authorities picking me up,
to delivering me the the rehab facility for mental evaluation
to spending 28 days there.

It was my choice to remain in one place after 2 weeks in
and them saying I wouldnt remain sober if I returned home.
So they wanted to send me off to a halfway house hours away
from my little family. With agreement, i remained where I was
and did what was necessary to complete 28 days, that part of
the process along with a 6 week outpatiant aftercare program
setting me on the path of my sober recovery for 30 plus
yrs.

It was an experience I will never forget nor regret because
it saved my life, my family and my future.

That is a gift that has kept on giving with many blessings
along the way.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 20 days!!! 👏

I can't watch Intervention - as i used to watch it while drinking, and telling myself "Well, I'm not that bad so I can keep drinking." Ironically, watching it empowered me to continue drinking, clearly not its intended purpose!
Old 12-06-2020, 05:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Honestly, sometimes I watch intervention to remind myself what it was like. The harsh reality of seeing these people go through hell and what it does to those around them is jarring but important for me to watch. I mainly seek out the alcoholism ones but the other eps are . They did do a whole series on the Heroin Triangle (a group of three cities and the suburbs in Georgia) and the way that addiction affects people at literally ALL levels (personal, environmental, etc) and it takes a whole community to intervene at those levels. It was really interesting to see how addiction happens, is perpetuated thru society, and the ways in which it can be fought. I highly recommend it.

However, I enjoy the show and can usually tell which people are going to stay clean after their treatment - I think it's a testament to being an alcoholic myself and the type of attitude/action it takes to stay sober.

Congrats on 3 weeks sober though!! No easy feat. Sorry for getting a little off topic there but that show really interests me.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 20 days Takeaction.

Have to say I have my reservations about that "intervention" stuff. Too controlling for me.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Samantha

I used to watch intervention but we have few channels and it never seems to be on now.
I have watched my 600lb life and its insane how some peoples food addiction is exactly like alcohol addiction...the things they say and talk about...same as what I think about alcohol!
Old 12-07-2020, 04:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Way to go on 20 days! I watched every “anti-drinking” thing I could find including Intervention. I found doing that to be very helpful in developing the mindset and attitude I needed to stay sober. Perspective is everything.