Notices

paws at 275 day

Old 07-21-2020, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
VinBx

paws at 275 day

Hello all,

Hope everyone is doing well with this crazy virus and your all maintaining with recovery in a positive way. Im at 275 clean and i made my decision to go clean in July 2018. Let me tell you, its been a hell of a ride. From anxiety, depression, anger instability and issues , balance problems, lightheadedness, general feeling of being down, fatigue (severe in the early stages) . It sure has been a roller coaster of a ride. I fell of in dec of 2018 at a Christmas party then again at a bbq, then another family get together i had 2 glasses of wine which I'm sure contributed to my symptoms longevity from what I have been reading. Oct 15 2019 was the last day I had any alcohol in my system. The symptoms continued. I began to feel somewhat more energized about 3 to 4 months after my last drink. Then all of the sudden all my symptoms came back. As if I started binging again. I have always binged for 25 years. Never an everyday drinker unless I was on vacation once a year for a week at a time. Other than that just over did it to many times. After 275 days I was hoping to feel better. I still have occasional buzzing in my head which completely gets me confused and I lose my focus. Im hoping its related to paws. I feel like I'm losing my head on occasion then the next day i feel better and its gone. I'm taking supplements, vitamins cod liver oil which I feel has been helping me. I'm just trying to see if anyone else on here has had these symptoms and have they been eleviated or even cleared up completely. I feel that the lightheadedness and some slight confusion has been the most lingering symptom as of date. The body aches and pains have gone. I've done ecgs, done blood work, mri, ct scans and even nerve conductivity tests. I was cleared of any issues. I'd love to hear feedback from you guys. All the best and thanks in advance to sober recovery as this has been my life savior which has given so much hope to stay clean and not lose focus on this amazing journey in life.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

You're almost 10 months sober, Congratulations! Keep moving forward! Things will keep changing for you!!
Old 07-21-2020, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It took 21 months for me to get through PAWS. Actually the reason I signed up for SR is because I found out about it after desperately searching google, wondering why I was losing my mind after nine months of sobriety.

All of the symptoms you described I also had. Month 20 was probably the worst for me, there were times I would go for a drive and scream at the top of my lungs. Then somehow Month 21 rolled around, I had a bunch of good days in succession and I just knew it had passed.

I was certainly not lazy about my recovery. I exercised, ate better, slept better, meditated, took long walks, nothing helped. This is a debt that must be repaid in full, no other way around it.

I've built a sober life I love and have no desire to escape from. With that being said there is some truth to the statement that the thought of going through nearly two years of hell on earth again is also a good deterrent to stay away from drinking.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

On the topic of supplements...did you tell your medical team exactly what you're taking and how much?

Some regular supplements can cause some serious issues. I had to stop taking some of the regular over-the-counter supplements I was taking and my symptoms resolved.

Also, how is your nutrition? Plenty of a variety of fruits and vegetables? Fat and Protein in good quantities? How about exercise? Exercise saves me from myself.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I have paws/kindling still at my time clean.

Mine started out so horrible I could have been sent to a ward.

Reading your post reminded me that guys like us best not relapse or face worsening mental anguish that will lead to clinical mental conditions...e.g. insanity.

After this time, mine is nearly gone but i still get little tremors and feelings that remind me of the early days.

I knew if I spoke to a Dr. Back them I would begin a lifelong rx med regimen and who know what else.

I am an addict for life and come here because this is the only place I can talk about my issue without having to drive to an AA meeting.

I did several AA meetings, but it seemed to me all i was really doing was waiting for my chance to talk....and even then I only talked a few times. Otherwise i sat there and sort of listened while I rudley played on my phone.

paws equals permanent brain damage. I don't think it ever goes away, I just got used to it. The brain damage is permanent.

I must stay clean or face the consequences.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
VinBx

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
On the topic of supplements...did you tell your medical team exactly what you're taking and how much?

Some regular supplements can cause some serious issues. I had to stop taking some of the regular over-the-counter supplements I was taking and my symptoms resolved.

Also, how is your nutrition? Plenty of a variety of fruits and vegetables? Fat and Protein in good quantities? How about exercise? Exercise saves me from myself.
Hey Bimi,

Thanks for your reply. I did see a nutritionist and they recommended I was low on some vitamins. I added some to increase my levels. I am now about to do a new blood draw to see my levels. I'm eating a variety of fruits vegetables and quality meals. I am exercising regularly and use to do crossfit for 5 years religiously. I hit a wall called paws and lost all drives to workout and do anything for that matter. I slowly got back into the groove and I'm hoping I get better than I am currently. I thank you all for your responses and I appreciate the time you took to respond to me. Wishing you all the best.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vindawgs View Post
Hey Bimi,

Thanks for your reply. I did see a nutritionist and they recommended I was low on some vitamins. I added some to increase my levels. I am now about to do a new blood draw to see my levels. I'm eating a variety of fruits vegetables and quality meals. I am exercising regularly and use to do crossfit for 5 years religiously. I hit a wall called paws and lost all drives to workout and do anything for that matter. I slowly got back into the groove and I'm hoping I get better than I am currently. I thank you all for your responses and I appreciate the time you took to respond to me. Wishing you all the best.
Oh, thank you, and you're welcome.

I just know that "doubling up" on some supplements or certain combinations of supplements can cause problems.

I hope your blood draw gives you some answers.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vindawgs View Post
Hey Bimi,

Sometimes it's just how it is I believe. You have your good moments and bad moments during the day. I try to think of it like this. If you don't hang on those bad moments they will surely pass, If you hold on then it will make the entire day bad. I too am a workout kinda person, alot of times I don't feel any motivation to work out or do anything but I push myself. If I always waited to be motivated to do something , I would never get alot of things done. It will pass.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’ve stopped a bunch of times and it does take longer to get better the older you are and the longer you overused booze.

But sometimes people just have bad days. I know plenty of non drinkers or very light social drinkers that have all kinds of issues. Similar to paws symptoms.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't know that PAWS equals permanent brain damage D122y. I've read, and experienced, that it improves with time.

I'm still going through PAWS benzodiazepines 17 months off. I've experienced the symptoms you describe, plus other mind torturing stuff that still lingers, but is abating.

Haven't used alcohol for 7 months. Which, is which? It's a very slow process. Your symptoms sound PAWSY to me, but I'm not a doctor. I have never regretted for a moment the cessation of both. Never abused benzo's, prescribed. Alcohol a different story.

I agree that it improves with time because have seen it within myself. Just very slow. Homeostasis ain't easy.

Congratulations on staying sober through difficult times.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
VinBx

Originally Posted by WeThinkNot View Post
It took 21 months for me to get through PAWS. Actually the reason I signed up for SR is because I found out about it after desperately searching google, wondering why I was losing my mind after nine months of sobriety.

All of the symptoms you described I also had. Month 20 was probably the worst for me, there were times I would go for a drive and scream at the top of my lungs. Then somehow Month 21 rolled around, I had a bunch of good days in succession and I just knew it had passed.

I was certainly not lazy about my recovery. I exercised, ate better, slept better, meditated, took long walks, nothing helped. This is a debt that must be repaid in full, no other way around it.

I've built a sober life I love and have no desire to escape from. With that being said there is some truth to the statement that the thought of going through nearly two years of hell on earth again is also a good deterrent to stay away from drinking.
Hey Wethinknot

Thank you for uoir words of encouragement. Your reply gives me some comfort knowing that you had these symltoms and your now feeling better. I appreciate your feedback and I sure hope thhope get to where your feeling soon. It sure isn't easy when your feeling good and having a good day and all of the sudden you get this sense of doom and this sudden feeling of being down. It mostly starts with me with the bizzing in my head. Then all of rhe sudden a myriad of symptoms come on and outright out you in a horrible mood which sometimes lasts for days at a time.

Thanks again for the feedback
Old 07-28-2020, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
I have paws/kindling still at my time clean.

Mine started out so horrible I could have been sent to a ward.

Reading your post reminded me that guys like us best not relapse or face worsening mental anguish that will lead to clinical mental conditions...e.g. insanity.

After this time, mine is nearly gone but i still get little tremors and feelings that remind me of the early days.

I knew if I spoke to a Dr. Back them I would begin a lifelong rx med regimen and who know what else.

I am an addict for life and come here because this is the only place I can talk about my issue without having to drive to an AA meeting.

I did several AA meetings, but it seemed to me all i was really doing was waiting for my chance to talk....and even then I only talked a few times. Otherwise i sat there and sort of listened while I rudley played on my phone.

paws equals permanent brain damage. I don't think it ever goes away, I just got used to it. The brain damage is permanent.

I must stay clean or face the consequences.

Thanks.
of course it goes away. It’s not permanent brain damage. Your brain has simply adapted to the presence of alcohol. It took a lonnng time for it to do this. It did not do it overnight. And it will take a lonnng time for it to adapt without alcohol. But it will. Have faith.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is a debt that must be repaid in full, no other way around it. This really hit me. Today I'm working on day 76 and feel horrible but I Know as long as I stay sober it's for the best. I was feeling great until the ending of last week the boom a slump of depression and anxiety most likely paws. It will pass and as long as I stay sober and learn from this experience then I can continue to grow in recovery. 1 day at a time

Old 09-14-2020, 04:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
VinBx

Good morning sticky one,
Hope you are feeling better and staying away for the alcohol. Congrats on your sobriety and wish you the best.

Vinny
Old 09-14-2020, 04:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
VinBx

Ant385

Thank you for your words of wisdom. You said it with confidence. I appreciate all you taking your time to reply and kudos to you all in staying sober. It's an amazing journey. I dont know what I would of done without SR. Your a lifesaver.

Vinny
Old 09-14-2020, 05:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You're back, Vin.

How are you feeling now? It's been a couple months? Hope you continue to improve. I had a lot of improvements even into 2-3 years.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have yet to see any scientific evidence for the existence of this syndrome.
One aspect that has been researched is the 'muscle memory' of the brain. This explains why as alcoholics, if we relapse, even after many sober years, we usually end up in the same place we relinquished the habit/addiction/affliction/crutch within a short space of time, and that the overwhelming majority, if not all, true alcoholics cannot successfully moderate over the medium to long term.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I had those symptoms. I remember being exhausted, unable to focus, anxious, but mostly tired. It goes away completely, but it took longer than I thought. I was a binge drinker for about 30 years.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
VinBx

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
You're back, Vin.

How are you feeling now? It's been a couple months? Hope you continue to improve. I had a lot of improvements even into 2-3 years.
Hey Blue,
Yes I'm back and here almost everyday reading alot of the posts and replies. Rhey keep me going on those rough days like today. I can really say that I still get these paws symptoms. Yesterday was a better day, today I'm kind of inthe slums and felling off beat. Better than 6 or even 8 months ago. I get these paws symptoms like every 3 or 4 th day. I would have a good day and a better day then boom it hits you like a smack in the face. I'm keeping the faith in all of you guys and of course in my creator. I dont ever want to be in that state of alcohol again, knowing what it does to your body and how I have been struggling to cope with the symptoms. It really is a blessing knowing that it gets better. God bless you all and SR is such a great support group.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
VinBx

Hey Sober,
I've been a binger for about 25 years. How long did it take you until you felt majority of the symptoms leave your body or at 90%
Vinny