Notices

How do you think of things to share at AA meetings?

Old 07-02-2020, 12:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you think of things to share at AA meetings?

I can never come up with things to say at AA meetings. My mind just goes blank. I get nervous and I normally just really quick say some nonsense when I share. I feel on the spot and I hate public speaking. What are some tips you have for being more comfortable sharing at meetings?
Old 07-02-2020, 12:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would talk about what happened to me in rehab .
I would speak to over 100 people at once at work so I was never afraid of speaking to a large number of people .
Old 07-02-2020, 01:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just remember that you can share what you want to and that it might take more time to get to know the group and be comfortable in that setting.

I went for a while and was really nervous too.....I just told them all how nervous I was and that helped! It took the pressure off and people were really sympathetic and important.

Maybe start with the things that you have been thinking about that day and go from there.

You'll get the hang of it.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You only need to listen if you want. However something like “my names ..... and I’m an alcoholic and I’m really grateful to be here and grateful to be sober” would be a valued contribution I’m sure. Of course assuming you are grateful obviously but sharing it even if you’re not can be good for you.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've only been to a couple of AA meetings while working out of town. Most of them were obviously there just to get their court papers signed and could not have given two flips about what was said. I told them that if I weren't there, I would have likely been smashed at the hotel. I told them about the process by which I came to develop a dependency on alcohol. Although most were staring into their phones the whole time, some were not, and seemed to connect with what I was saying, which helped.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had this problem in AA for a long time because I always felt like I had to talk "their" talk....
I realized I wasn't there to say what they wanted me to say....I was there to save my life.

When I started talking from my heart...and stopped worrying about using "AA lingo" in my share...and just directly go from my heart....of whatever I was feeling at the moment...kept it short and didn't pressure myself to "please" anyone with what I said....My sharing became easier...and actually I was feeling a relief after talking...instead of feeling disappointed and afraid.

If I were to share in an AA meeting right now this is exactly what I would say (exactly what I am feeling).
I am Missy and I am an alcoholic...and sitting here right now...I just don't want to hear all the wonderful messages....I got myself here because I wanted to drink very badly today....and for some reason when I leave here that feeling is no longer with me....Thanks for letting me share....

Always keep it simple and keep your share to how you "really" feel...don't worry about lingo or peoples opinions....as they say...
We are not that important...no one is going to be worrying about what you said....

When I changed my style of sharing....I then had so many people coming up to me saying ….I felt the same as you and I was afraid to say it...I have said in AA meetings before...I really sometimes don't like AA....its too scripted...too cultish at times...but it is saving my life and for me that is all I need to be concerned about....

They accept you for who you are at any given time...and that is my favorite thing about AA.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Talking from the heart grabs my attention