Notices

I unplugged for awhile

Old 06-13-2020, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I unplugged for awhile

only to come back and see not much has changed, but its ok. It was worth it. I shut off the TV, rode my bike, went to the gym, took long drives with my wife and dog. I stayed off facebook, sober recovery and twitter. I got into a Netflix series and stayed away from news sites.

I am re-engaging with the world with a clearer head. I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All great in StartAnew's world. Thank you for asking after us all.
Sometimes we need a break from routine and especially at the moment all the depressing stuff knocking around. Glad you're feeling refreshed.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are okay and sober Jeff. I would keep prioritizing the things you just mentioned. Extra self care is critical not only for pandemic but when you are at risk for relapse. I am at 11 months since final relapse today and I have been doing my version of this—it has helped me build both sober and “regular” muscles
Old 06-13-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good on you Jeff. The rewards of sobriety are manifold.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. The courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

If ever there was a time that applied.

I think everyone in America, left, right, center and every in between is pretty wound up right now. I see so much media I do not agree with. I'm really big on facts and logic and common sense and so much that I see just makes me want to hit my head on a wall. Even the stats people can interpret the way they want and critical thinking seems to go out the window. On so many political issues.

Getting all bent out of shape over stuff that I have no control over is a hobby of mine. There is a lot that I have to accept. There is little I can change other then vote and try to keep my eyes open for something I can do to help.

God is control. If the political ideas I have are rejected, even if I'm pretty sure right now logically they are the best things for this country, there is nothing I can do about it. Things are going to happen for a reason. I have to trust God with the long term plan. I have no idea of the how things are going to unfold but no matter how bad it may look at times God is there. God has the answers not me.

I continue to look for as much common ground as I can with those I do not agree with. These are human beings no matter how much trouble I may have understanding the logic.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that helped you, Jeff
Old 06-13-2020, 07:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you! I'm sure the mental and emotional weight feels less.

I permanently deleted my social media(Save SR), got out of every whatsapp group where I dint personally know everyone and it went political. No way I could change my life while actively raging against what I see in logic & facts, cant control what other's feel.

Again good for you and I hope it fortified your sobriety😊
Old 06-13-2020, 08:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Social Media especially is more toxic than ever right now. I too have removed myself from a lot of it; it wasn't doing me any good.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
only to come back and see not much has changed, but its ok. It was worth it. I shut off the TV, rode my bike, went to the gym, took long drives with my wife and dog. I stayed off facebook, sober recovery and twitter. I got into a Netflix series and stayed away from news sites.

I am re-engaging with the world with a clearer head. I hope everyone is doing well.
Good job re-engaging. I think that is the secret. Addiction is a learned behavior. I learned to regain control of my feelings with a quick fix or mood changer back in High School. This can be unlearned by empowering oneself with other healthy behaviors, that are of high value, that help us regain control over circumstance in life that make us feel helpless and lead to substance abuse in order to temporarily regain control. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by RecklessDrunk View Post
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. The courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

If ever there was a time that applied.

I think everyone in America, left, right, center and every in between is pretty wound up right now. I see so much media I do not agree with. I'm really big on facts and logic and common sense and so much that I see just makes me want to hit my head on a wall. Even the stats people can interpret the way they want and critical thinking seems to go out the window. On so many political issues.

Getting all bent out of shape over stuff that I have no control over is a hobby of mine. There is a lot that I have to accept. There is little I can change other then vote and try to keep my eyes open for something I can do to help.

God is control. If the political ideas I have are rejected, even if I'm pretty sure right now logically they are the best things for this country, there is nothing I can do about it. Things are going to happen for a reason. I have to trust God with the long term plan. I have no idea of the how things are going to unfold but no matter how bad it may look at times God is there. God has the answers not me.

I continue to look for as much common ground as I can with those I do not agree with. These are human beings no matter how much trouble I may have understanding the logic.
Hi RD

You may have missed my many recent reminders but politics is off topic here - thanks.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ics-again.html (Politics...again)

D
Old 06-13-2020, 04:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you back Jeff

Seeing as things have not changed much tho, whats the plan going forward?

D
Old 06-13-2020, 09:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good one Dee.

I was thinking same Jeff, but I guess 'tis true, it is ourselves that need to change. And you are. Me too. Yay, us!
Old 06-14-2020, 02:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Good to see you back Jeff

Seeing as things have not changed much tho, whats the plan going forward?

D
Hi Dee, I wish had something profound to tell you, but I don't. What's the plan, stay sober, get a job?. Seems pretty straight forward. Who knows at this point.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I meant whats the plan dealing with stress anxieties and worries Jeff cos you seem to get bowled over every so often
but every time I ask, you (very nicely) fob me off.

Fair enough - if you're not into planning, I can't make you man..

Good luck on the job thing. you don't need luck to stay sober
D
Old 06-14-2020, 03:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Jeff,

It's great to disengage from all the stimulation and demands of the world and take a breather every now and then. I always find if I don't take that sort of time to regroup with a certain regularity, my mental health and satisfaction with everything suffers.

I was wondering the same as Dee: what specific steps you are taking and/or plan to take to accomplish your goals? Because, as you have experienced, staying sober and getting a job is not that easy and trivial. "Who knows" leaves everything kinda random, which can be fine if you deal with challenges on the go very well by default, but you often seem to be knocked off-balance by many things. Sometimes it leads you to drink, other times into what seems like serious turmoil. And you said yourself on other threads that you want to make changes in your life. It's hard to make constructive and lasting changes via leaving things to chance but you often share your goals, this is why some of us wonder what your strategy is going to be,
Old 06-14-2020, 04:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have also been very absent from social media and SR the last few weeks. Like Jeff, I too live here in Mpls and am involved in public safety and health issues. Been an interesting few months and a VERY interesting few weeks. I got sober nearly 7 months ago and I don't know how I would have made it through these troubled times if I was still using. My work days have been 16+ hours daily and the first few days of the civil unrest I was up for nearly 72 straight hours. There would have been absolutely no way I could navigate any of that unless I was clear, strong, focused and healthy.

I hope you can stay sober Jeff and that this unsettled and shifting city we are living in eventually calms down. I hope you are well this morning brother.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've distanced myself from social media too Jeff. Found it was making me anxious. Avoidant. Hope you land the dream job that might be just around the corner. And if not you (me) will not be hiding in the corner result of another ill conceived idea that drinking might actually work. Happy for you Jeff.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I meant whats the plan dealing with stress anxieties and worries Jeff cos you seem to get bowled over every so often
but every time I ask, you (very nicely) fob me off.

Fair enough - if you're not into planning, I can't make you man..

Good luck on the job thing. you don't need luck to stay sober
D
I think we are at a point that is historical in terms of how upside down life is. There is no blueprint for how to handle this. I'm just moving along.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce2 View Post
Hi Jeff,

It's great to disengage from all the stimulation and demands of the world and take a breather every now and then. I always find if I don't take that sort of time to regroup with a certain regularity, my mental health and satisfaction with everything suffers.

I was wondering the same as Dee: what specific steps you are taking and/or plan to take to accomplish your goals? Because, as you have experienced, staying sober and getting a job is not that easy and trivial. "Who knows" leaves everything kinda random, which can be fine if you deal with challenges on the go very well by default, but you often seem to be knocked off-balance by many things. Sometimes it leads you to drink, other times into what seems like serious turmoil. And you said yourself on other threads that you want to make changes in your life. It's hard to make constructive and lasting changes via leaving things to chance but you often share your goals, this is why some of us wonder what your strategy is going to be,
Hi Allyce, you bring up a valid point. I wish I had something to tell you, I don't. We are in uncharted waters right now in terms of life and culture. Yes, I get caught up in it now and then, but I do my best to deal with it. And "my best" is the best I can do. At least I'm thinking clearly, and that's important for a person like me.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good for you! We all need to do that in this world.