Notices

Liver Pains after quitting drinking

Old 06-13-2020, 03:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver Pains after quitting drinking

Hi guys,

I'm two weeks sober at this point and have been noticing occasional liver pains (I know it's not actually the liver but surrounding tissue). I've had
these in the past very sparingly, but why after two weeks without drinking?

Anyways experience that? I know no one can give medical advice I'm just wondering if others had a similar experience.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2020, 04:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi ladeeda

No idea why the tissue surrounding your liver is painful. I can tell you that I got occasional pain just below my rib cage on my right hand side (liver sort of area) which was due to my digestive system sorting itself out. I was lucky that mine disappeared around the two week mark when my stomach and bowel got used to the idea of processing food rather than wine and vodka.
Worth checking with your doc, as pain in the liver area can be caused by a myriad of things.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Our required answer is see a Dr. They might be able to help.

In my experience...

When I quit, I woke up every day for about a year with red eyes, a head ache, and body aches (including liver/kidney).

My brain needed the booze. I was anxious and paranoid. I didn't' go to a Dr. for 2 years. Some folks hate when I say that but I am telling my story.

I ended up med free but I suffered like hell getting here. Mentally and physically. Suffering was my way out.

Suffering made me respect and cherish being sober.

The AV would always say...have a few snorts, blow out what ever funk is in me. Simply insane.

I hurt all over for many months, off and on. Every cell in my body had developed under the influence of booze. It takes a long long long time to totally get the booze out of my system and the same amount of time to get used to not drinking and being content.

I bought all sorts of detox teas/pills. I ended up throwing 90% of them away The main thing for me water and healthy food (e.g. fruits and veggies).

Suffering and time was my way out.

Love and Thanks.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Drink plenty of water!
Old 06-13-2020, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

withdrawals.

your body relied on alcohol; now it's healing
Old 06-13-2020, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Al5

Had the same and still get it occasionally. I find I need to drink more water than normal especially after quitting. Since quitting, it's like my body is demanding water all the time. If I get dehydrated, I get the pains.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I get them, but less now at 71 days sober.

I've had blood work and a ultrasound of my upper right quadrant. They didn't see anything that would cause it.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I got aches and pains after quitting too. Maybe I had more time on my hands and less anaesthetic every evening. The pains went on for months, so I paid for a private fibroscan and all was fine, in fact more than fine as my previously fatty liver was cured! The pains then stopped so maybe it was partly mental.

Maybe it’s your liver repairing itself. If you’re concerned, speak to your doctor.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nobody here can tell you if there is anything wrong with your liver so book an appointment with your doc. The good news is that the liver is remarkably resilient and often recovers quickly once we put the bottle down.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better soon, and if not, do talk to your doctor.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
I got aches and pains after quitting too. Maybe I had more time on my hands and less anaesthetic every evening. The pains went on for months, so I paid for a private fibroscan and all was fine, in fact more than fine as my previously fatty liver was cured! The pains then stopped so maybe it was partly mental.

Maybe it’s your liver repairing itself. If you’re concerned, speak to your doctor.
I have right pain often (like right now). I’ve often wondered if it’s actually my liver repairing itself. Initial blood tests found liver functioning normally. I still had pains so had ultrasound. Found fatty liver. Eating healthy and lost 18lbs but still liver pain. Had a blood test today to see extent of damage if any. I’m very concerned. Started quitting feb 4th, had 3 drinks March 15 then last drink April 12th. This has scared me into quitting. I don’t have any cravings or have had any AV because this pain has me so freaked out. It’s a blessing in disguise I guess.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Hi there, I can say I was still having major aches and pains at the two week mark. So like sugar bear said, you could be still going through withdrawals. I also still had a lot of balled up anxiety and wasn’t sleeping well. So It could be your still not out of the woods yet. I highly recommend the doctor route. I know people wait for better results but I’d go in slamming an energy drink, hungover just to see how bad stuff was...so I could compare the Hopefully good results later.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going ladeeda?

D
Old 06-19-2020, 10:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

We often think it is liver pain but it very well could just be digestive issues.