Notices

Encouragement in this especially difficult time

Old 04-19-2020, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Encouragement in this especially difficult time

I haven't checked in for a while, but I've been thinking about the community here and how extra difficult this time has to be for anyone trying to not drink. I just wanted to stop by and give a word of encouragement.

You CAN get through this. One day at a time. And it will get easier.

Don't believe the addiction's tricks. NOTHING is made better by drinking. It seems like it would, but it's a lie, just like everything it tells you.

Drinking doesn't relieve stress, it increases it. It doesn't make you sleep better, it disrupts it. It doesn't give you peace, it gives you horrors, regret, shame and wrecks your body and health. It doesn't make you stronger, it makes you weak. It doesn't make you more fun and bring you closer to people, it drives you apart and destroys relationships.

I am now almost 3 years sober and am incredibly grateful that I'm not plotting how to get alcohol during this time. I'm sure I'd be making excuses to go to the store so I could buy wine. I'd be hiding it in my car. With family members working at home, I'd be hiding drinking and hiding miserable mornings.

It's just such a RELIEF to not have it ruling my life right now.

I feel bad that I haven't been here more regularly to help others, when I received so much support here when I was new. I was able to quit alcohol on my own, using the support and wisdom of this site, no meetings, nothing else. You can do it too.

If anyone wants to read my initial story here it is:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rate-stop.html (Wine drinking woman, desperate to stop)

Hang in there. To those who have stopped drinking, KEEP IT UP. You can do it and it WILL get easier.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for a wonderful post and congratulations on your sober time. Sobriety is a wonderful thing and I’m truly grateful to be sober 🙏
Old 04-19-2020, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to hear from you, Tealily.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you tealily i have really struggled today and was close to thinking of excuse to go to shop, your post has really helped me remember all the reasons i do not want to do that
Old 04-19-2020, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tinkerbeau View Post
Thank you tealily i have really struggled today and was close to thinking of excuse to go to shop, your post has really helped me remember all the reasons i do not want to do that
So glad, Tinkerbeau! You can make it through. And the more times you do that, the easier it will get.
Whenever I found myself saying "I deserve it" I would make myself say, "actually, I deserve so much more, and so much better." Try to keep your eye on the long game. Alcohol wants you to think only in the moment.

And then ultimately, you won't even think about it at all! It loses its power if you stop giving it to it.

Hang in there!
Old 04-19-2020, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Tealily,
I remember you from one of my earlier attempts at sobriety! I'm so thrilled to read that you are still going! It offers me and others so much hope. Congratulations
Old 04-19-2020, 02:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tealily View Post
So glad, Tinkerbeau! You can make it through. And the more times you do that, the easier it will get.
Whenever I found myself saying "I deserve it" I would make myself say, "actually, I deserve so much more, and so much better." Try to keep your eye on the long game. Alcohol wants you to think only in the moment.

And then ultimately, you won't even think about it at all! It loses its power if you stop giving it to it.

Hang in there!
Thank you tealily i really appreciate your reply, it has really helped
Old 04-19-2020, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on nearly 3 years of sobriety!
Old 04-19-2020, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you tealilly

D
Old 04-19-2020, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

Just checked my SR dictionary and yep just like I remember

Tealily n. Compassionate badass

Nice to see ya
Old 04-19-2020, 09:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ah, dwtbd, same. You are too good! Thanks for that
Old 04-19-2020, 09:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AwkwardKitty View Post
Hi Tealily,
I remember you from one of my earlier attempts at sobriety! I'm so thrilled to read that you are still going! It offers me and others so much hope. Congratulations
I remember you too, AW! Keep on keeping on... I had SO many false starts. I'm not taking anything for granted now, but am treasuring the life and health I've rebuilt.
Recently even managed to lose 20 pounds, working out almost daily. A totally new thing for me. It's a gift.
Would never have been able to do anything close to that drinking the way I was before. Have zero interest in going back to that awful place. Thank you for posting back!

Old 04-19-2020, 10:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tealily View Post
Whenever I found myself saying "I deserve it" I would make myself say, "actually, I deserve so much more, and so much better."
This is so helpful! There have been many times during these past few months that I thought "I deserve it" The day I heard like 30 ambulances go by, the boring days with nothing to do, no responsibilities, the days of fear and sadness. I did give in once and it wasn't worth it. I like the idea of reminding myself "I deserve so much more and so much better"

Thank you.