Notices

Is there any solution? (dating a heroin addict)

Old 04-19-2020, 11:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is there any solution? (dating a heroin addict)

Hi I've been in a relationship with a heroin addict for the past 5 years... I discovered he was a heroin addict about a year into the relationship after falling deeply in love with him,
he relapsed shortly after me finding this out, I stuck by him thinking I could "help" him get clean then I stuck by him after he went to prison for almost two years I loyally waited for him to get out believing his promise to stay clean and we could finally have the relationship I wanted with him

About six months after he got out he was back on heroin, not shooting up yet but smoking it. I live with him and this time around I do NOT want to go along for the ride with him. I'm over it.
He has tried to detox on his own numerous times since relapsing each time failing and each time refusing professional help(although he wants to go to rehab that's reserved for the rich)
Watching him go back and fourth with this has been hell. The biggest reason we are still together is not only that we live together and I can't afford to break the lease, but the biggest reason is that when I talk to him about how I am going to move to my own place and we will break up, he says he will start shooting up again and kill him self through overdose,

I know this emotional abuse and that it is not my responsibility but despite that, the fact is walking away and willingly taking the risk of him dying, knowing that him losing me (the only person in his life) will 100% spiral him into an ungodly depression binge at the very least with an extremely high chance of him overdosing and dying, the fact that the chance is SO HIGH..I want so badly to wait until he gets clean then once he is in a good place try to peacefully go our seperate ways but waiting for that to happen could be years and I don't know what to do, my main question is, how do you walk away knowing doing so is putting the love of your life at SUCH a high risk of dying? Any type of advice from someone who has been through this situation is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey again HelpMe2020

you already have a thread here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-solution.html

as long as you bookmark that link, you'll be able to read your responses

Dee
Administrator
SR