Notices

My First Day Sober!

Old 02-28-2020, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My First Day Sober!

Hi everyone 😊

Im not sure what peoples first post is usually like but I'm just gonna throw some info out there and hopefully get to know some of you in return!

My name is Steph, I'm 26 and I'm originally from England(UK).
I'm currently almost 22 hours into my first day of sobriety and thankfully it isnt too intense (praying it stays that way!)
I've been drinking consistently since I was 12 and of course we all know that over the years everything increases! I'd been experiencing a lot of symptoms and ended up having an abdominal scan - this showed that my liver was large/fatty and also that my Spleen was enlarged which is very concerning. So just before christmas I managed around 3 weeks sober but then I slipped during the holidays and havent been able to find the motivation to try again - Until now!
The past 2 weeks I have been drinking a 70cl bottle of vodka every night but it is exhausting and painful.
I chose to go see my GP and she was amazing about it all and has referred me to our community team to be an inpatient...She also explained the need for vitamin b and something else but I cant remember the name...
Anyway, I came back home and I just couldnt stop thinking about everything she told me about different conditions cause by alcohol consumption including alcohol brain damage etc...
This among everything else scared me a lot and I made (a probably very silly decision) to detox at home. Obviously inpatient services would be great but she said I'd expect to wait around 6 weeks for a place and I just couldnt bare the thought of drinking for any further length of time let alone six weeks so here we are...
I'm taking vitamins and plenty of water as normal (I think it's the only reason my kidneys havent given up yet) my appetite has been really good and no vomitting etc. I'm staying with my parents so they can keep an eye on me etc and are aware of anything to look out for that may require medical attention and I'm also going back to the doctors on monday to explain the changes and see where we go from there.

Day one - Very anxious until early afternoon, quite shaky but eased as the day has gone on, slightly irritated/snapping once or twice, Slight headache at times and insomnia seems to have kicked in!

One of my main concerns were seizures but as time goes on I'm more hopeful that this wont be the case 🤞

I know that's a lot of info but I want to be as open as possible so please feel free to offer any advice, ask questions or even just tell me about yourselves. I've been reading a lot of posts today and I'm already really glad I stumbled across this site!

Steph x
Old 02-28-2020, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Steph!

You have come to the right place for support!
Old 02-28-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Welcome Steph!

Thank you! It certainly seems that way! 🙂
Old 02-28-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Steph1h2

You've come to the right place for support with posters at various stages of their sobriety journey. You've joined just in time for the support thread for us posters who have quit alcohol (or drugs or any kind of addiction) in February 2020. Hope to see you posting there!

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...pt-2-a-10.html
Old 02-28-2020, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard Steph

D
Old 02-28-2020, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We all had our first day. Welcome.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Steph! I'm so glad you found us. Congratulations on your Day 1 - I love your upbeat, determined attitude.

I found SR to be a life saver, especially in the early days. I was climbing the walls - and was very grateful for the distraction of reading & posting. I'd been drinking many years & was completely dependent on it. Being here helped me find the strength to let go of it & get free. You'll never have the devastation to deal with that many of us have. I wish I'd been in my 20's when I quit - I knew back then that I was headed for trouble. Be proud of yourself for taking charge of your life.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome aboard Steph

D
Thank you, Dee ☺
Old 02-28-2020, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Welcome Steph!

Thank you, fishkiller! I appreciate any advice and I'd love to be of help!
Old 02-28-2020, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Samantha

Glad you're here and made the decision to quit. The anxiety is always the worst!
Old 02-28-2020, 06:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi Steph! I'm so glad you found us. Congratulations on your Day 1 - I love your upbeat, determined attitude.

I found SR to be a life saver, especially in the early days. I was climbing the walls - and was very grateful for the distraction of reading & posting. I'd been drinking many years & was completely dependent on it. Being here helped me find the strength to let go of it & get free. You'll never have the devastation to deal with that many of us have. I wish I'd been in my 20's when I quit - I knew back then that I was headed for trouble. Be proud of yourself for taking charge of your life.
Thank you, hevyn!

I think a lot of it is because I feel a lot better than I thought I was going to and I know that could change quickly so I'm holding onto it! I know it's not going to be easy but I know I'm strong. I needed last night to give me some motivation back and I just hope that keeps growing 🤞
Even in my 26 years I've dealt with and overcame many things including extensive childhood trauma and even just last year when I was seriously Ill in hospital, I left my job, my 5 year relationship fell apart, I lost my home and I finally came out and let my family know the true extent of my drinking. We all have our stories to tell but I am thankful that there isnt another 10 years in the mix of living the way I have been 🙌
Congratulations on getting sober!! Can I ask how long for? I'm already finding SR very helpful and I like that everyone is welcome. Usually I would be worried about posting but I didnt even hesitate 😊
Old 02-28-2020, 06:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Steph - I drank 30 yrs & am now sober for 12 yrs. I still can't believe it.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
Glad you're here and made the decision to quit. The anxiety is always the worst!
Hi Anxiousrock!

Thank you 😊
I know! It was surprisingly bad this morning and it did give me the dreaded how am I gonna cope feeling but once it eased a little I was able to relax!
How do you manage anxiety, stress etc?
Old 02-28-2020, 06:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Steph - I drank 30 yrs & am now sober for 12 yrs. I still can't believe it.
Wow! That is an amazing! Do you have any advice/tips that you couldnt have got by without? I'm considering AA or an online meeting...
Old 02-28-2020, 06:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
We all had our first day. Welcome.
Thank you, headeast 😊 This site is giving me even more hope!
Old 02-28-2020, 07:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Everyone starts with day one. I'm glad you found us and joined us. I hope the support here, as well as the useful info in the posts, and in the 'stickies'. can help you get sober for good. I'm sober a bit over 10 yrs and don't regret a day of it.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Steph!
Old 02-28-2020, 10:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi Steph!

Well done on making the decision to stop drinking. You sounds like you have some good determination behind you and some family support - great starting point!

I am only in early days (day 30 today) so fairly fresh at the whole withdrawal phases. From my personal experience, the first three days are the toughest with physical withdrawal, but they gradually faded after a couple of weeks. I still am not sleeping well and am waking up with a mild headache each day, but I do feel a lot better and not overly tired (maybe I only need 5 hours sleep a night?).

I look forward to following your progress, so please try and post regularly. And if you ever start to feel that you 'need' a drink, please come here first and post - the support and delay in taking that drink helps no end in maintaining sobriety.

All the very best for your new and better life ahead!

I too had (have) a fatty liver, which I am hoping will able to repair itself without feeding it alcohol. It sure wasn't going to get better with the volumes I was drinking.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Steph - I think both AA & online meetings are helpful - I did attend AA meetings early on, but eventually just SR was enough to keep me on the right path. I was so far gone - I was desperate to hold on to sobriety because I knew alcohol was going to kill me. I also read many books about recovery, like 'Drinking, A Love Story' by Caroline Knapp.

I hope Day 2 is going ok - the first few are rough, but it will get easier.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Steph1h2 View Post
Hi Anxiousrock!

Thank you 😊
I know! It was surprisingly bad this morning and it did give me the dreaded how am I gonna cope feeling but once it eased a little I was able to relax!
How do you manage anxiety, stress etc?
I'm a bad person to ask because anxiety is my downfall. I have to stay very busy. Gym 5-6 times a week. Work 6-7 days a week. Etc.