Notices

My First Day Sober!

Old 02-29-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome Steph.

Very brave of you to admit your stuff at such an early age.

You sound like my sister, who was a big vodka drinker too.

She was up to her eyeballs in it from about your age, but never did admit it was a huge problem and never sought any help.

She died about 2 years ago and her Dr was blunt and honest enough to write 'Chronic Alcoholism' on the death certificate.

So ... Ya know, sometimes we think that Dr's tell us these Boogeyman stories to scare us sober, but really, they are just presenting the facts.

All the best with your sobriety journey 👍
Old 02-29-2020, 02:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome Steph.

There is a forum on anxiety here. Just scroll down till you reach it from main page.

I'm really glad you found us. You are doing really well. Keep posting, asking, sharing. It works.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. Everyone starts with day one. I'm glad you found us and joined us. I hope the support here, as well as the useful info in the posts, and in the 'stickies'. can help you get sober for good. I'm sober a bit over 10 yrs and don't regret a day of it.
Wow! That's awesome Ieast 😊 Thank you so much for your comment...I've only tried going sober once in this whole 14 or so years as I mentioned above but I'm feeling good! The support from folks here seems amazing and I'm so grateful to of came across SR!
Old 02-29-2020, 06:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaisyBelle7 View Post
Welcome Steph!
Hi, DaisyBelle 😊😊 I hope you're well!
Old 02-29-2020, 06:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coz View Post
Hi Steph!

Well done on making the decision to stop drinking. You sounds like you have some good determination behind you and some family support - great starting point!

I am only in early days (day 30 today) so fairly fresh at the whole withdrawal phases. From my personal experience, the first three days are the toughest with physical withdrawal, but they gradually faded after a couple of weeks. I still am not sleeping well and am waking up with a mild headache each day, but I do feel a lot better and not overly tired (maybe I only need 5 hours sleep a night?).

I look forward to following your progress, so please try and post regularly. And if you ever start to feel that you 'need' a drink, please come here first and post - the support and delay in taking that drink helps no end in maintaining sobriety.

All the very best for your new and better life ahead!

I too had (have) a fatty liver, which I am hoping will able to repair itself without feeding it alcohol. It sure wasn't going to get better with the volumes I was drinking.
Hi, Coz! 😊

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm very determined amd hopeful! I'm also very lucky and grateful to have the support that I do right now. It's been hard to be so open and to show all the negatives but completely worth it to have overcame so much.

30 days is brilliant, also shows your determination and resilience is paying off. My mentality right now is definitely one day at a time and to just not let it cloud my mind. My withdrawals this time have been surprisingly easier than last time which has been quite surprising and I'm definitely not complaining! I've done a lot more research and am actually taking vitamins and electrolytes etc...Do you have any experience with exercising too soon etc? I want to but it's a worry as chest pains come and go so probably best to wait...

My sleeping pattern sounds very like yours! I've never had any sort of routine though so that of course didnt help along with using alcohol in an effort to "sleep better".

I'll absolutely come her for support and also to help in anyway I can! Just gonna take some used to as I havent a clue atm lol but I am enjoying it!

I so hope our livers can repair themselves with time. The pain I've been in today has been quite tough but I'm even trying everything naturally to try and ease the symptoms!

Thank you again for your message. I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone! 😊
Old 02-29-2020, 06:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Steph - I think both AA & online meetings are helpful - I did attend AA meetings early on, but eventually just SR was enough to keep me on the right path. I was so far gone - I was desperate to hold on to sobriety because I knew alcohol was going to kill me. I also read many books about recovery, like 'Drinking, A Love Story' by Caroline Knapp.

I hope Day 2 is going ok - the first few are rough, but it will get easier.
Hi Hevyn 😊

Day 2 again hasnt been too bad which I'm so thankful for. First time round was more difficult with the shakes and nausea/vomitting but this time is mainly pain, slight headaches, anxiety, insomnia etc...Definitely not complaining though and I just hope it continues - I've researched a lot more though and am doing vitamins, electrolytes and a pretty healthy diet so hopefully that is all having a positive impact 🤞

Theres an online SMART meeting tomorrow which I think I'm going to try and then maybe an AA meeting on monday after I've been to have my bloods taken etc...I have a couple of books here including the joy of being sober which I've heard is pretty good? This time I'm just making more of an effort to try new things and actually face it head on which I didnt do before - I did seek help but I never commited to talking to others or participating in groups etc...

I really appreciate all your advice, Hevyn 😊
Old 02-29-2020, 06:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Congratulations and welcome to SR!!
Old 02-29-2020, 06:37 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
Welcome Steph.

Very brave of you to admit your stuff at such an early age.

You sound like my sister, who was a big vodka drinker too.

She was up to her eyeballs in it from about your age, but never did admit it was a huge problem and never sought any help.

She died about 2 years ago and her Dr was blunt and honest enough to write 'Chronic Alcoholism' on the death certificate.

So ... Ya know, sometimes we think that Dr's tell us these Boogeyman stories to scare us sober, but really, they are just presenting the facts.

All the best with your sobriety journey 👍
Hi, Derringer 😊

Wow, reading that really hit home and it's probably going to be something I reread when needed.
Im so sorry for your loss.
All I could think about was how sorry I also am that she felt she couldnt reach out or that she didnt get the help she needed. It can be so cruel.

The fact that you could be my brother or another relative writing this made me feel sick but again definitely something to think about.

In the end it was just too much to cover up anymore and last year I gave up everything (also lost a lot) just to start over. It isnt easy but I feel like I'm finally ready and I genuinely want to be sober more than I want to sit and aimlessly drink my nights away.
It's funny because the things that I thought would scare and bother me most I'm now looking forward to like actually finding myself and my confidence again...Having a night out without drink, eventually having a new relationship that doesnt involve drink, building on relationships and just generally living a more settled and content life.

Have you been with SR long?

Thank you for your reply, it really means a lot!
Old 02-29-2020, 06:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
I'm a bad person to ask because anxiety is my downfall. I have to stay very busy. Gym 5-6 times a week. Work 6-7 days a week. Etc.
I know what you mean. It can be a vicious circle but distraction can/does definitely help. That's a lot, I struggle a lot with motivation and confidence but I'm hoping to build on it. Do you have any hobbies as well as the gym or just too busy with work?
Old 02-29-2020, 06:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Welcome Steph.

There is a forum on anxiety here. Just scroll down till you reach it from main page.

I'm really glad you found us. You are doing really well. Keep posting, asking, sharing. It works.
Hi Steely!

Thank you so much 😊 will definitely keep an eye out for that! I'm still finding my way around here and still pretty clueless but I'll get there 😄

I'm really glad I found you all too! It's already really helped with any anxiety so far!

Look forward to getting to know you all 😊
Old 02-29-2020, 06:49 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome steph... congratulations on day 1. A lot of ice cream got me thru the first few weeks and AA. Stay in touch with the group for support.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grateful0603 View Post
Welcome steph... congratulations on day 1. A lot of ice cream got me thru the first few weeks and AA. Stay in touch with the group for support.
Hi Grateful!

Just hit 48 hours at 3am! The insomnia isnt playing around though! Haha I've been eating so much more due to not having the empty calories but I've also been eating better so I'm just going to focus on the positives!
How did you find going to AA?? I'm always anxious meeting new people but I'd imagine in that scenario it would be even tougher...
Old 02-29-2020, 08:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Steph! Good for you for admitting your problem at such a young age. For some people, admittance comes way too late. You posted in my update thread so you know about my story.

You WILL struggle and you WILL think about booze in the early days. There is no getting around that. I’m 74 days now and I consider myself early in sobriety. But I promise, promise, promise, promise it gets so much easier the longer you stay sober. Stick around here and post often. Welcome!
Old 02-29-2020, 10:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Steph, welcome! Insomnia is a killer but it is not worse than drinking or hangovers. I would rather wake up tired after a sleepless night than hungover!
Old 03-01-2020, 01:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steph1h2 View Post
Hi, Derringer 😊

Wow, reading that really hit home and it's probably going to be something I reread when needed.
Im so sorry for your loss.
All I could think about was how sorry I also am that she felt she couldnt reach out or that she didnt get the help she needed. It can be so cruel.

The fact that you could be my brother or another relative writing this made me feel sick but again definitely something to think about.

In the end it was just too much to cover up anymore and last year I gave up everything (also lost a lot) just to start over. It isnt easy but I feel like I'm finally ready and I genuinely want to be sober more than I want to sit and aimlessly drink my nights away.
It's funny because the things that I thought would scare and bother me most I'm now looking forward to like actually finding myself and my confidence again...Having a night out without drink, eventually having a new relationship that doesnt involve drink, building on relationships and just generally living a more settled and content life.

Have you been with SR long?

Thank you for your reply, it really means a lot!
Hi Steph

I've been here about 18 months on and off. Sober about 5 1/2 years.

FWIW ... Its a very encouraging sign to see you replying back to each person.

Not many do and I think it shows how committed you are to break the cycle.

Keep up the good work 😎
Old 03-01-2020, 03:47 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Welcome to this group! You have landed in a wonderful place full of caring people! I saw in an earlier post that you're reading books. I'd recommend Clare Pooley's "The Sober Diaries." Easy reading, funny, and spot on.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:37 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Coz

Congrats on day 2 Steph!

You asked about exercise in the early days. I confess that the first 3-4 days I was pretty much a wreck and did nothing much other than drink heaps of water and read SR threads!

Getting exercise is generally a great idea, but if you are getting chest pains, you might want to get your doctors advice before doing anything too strenuous.

Loving your engagement with the SR family! I guess you will have worked out by now that this is a great place to be for advice, support, understanding and knowing you are never alone.

Look forward to watching the days mount up for you!
Old 03-01-2020, 09:37 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are on the right path steph. Keep it going, and welcome to SR. I know it was a huge reason I was able to stop drinking after about 30 years and I am happy to say that I am almost 9 months in now and have never felt better. Wish I did not wait till I was 48 so good for you for realizing and being aware enough to put an end to this before it gets worse. Cuz it will get worse if you keep drinking. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:21 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi Vinny!

Thank you so much...
I hit rock bottom last year as explained in previous comments so I literally felt like I had no choice but to be honest and open because I couldnt have gotten back up without help. My liver, kidney and spleen situation atm needs resolved before it does go to far and if I carried on then I dont think it would have taken long - I am so grateful that it's happened sooner rather than later though and I just know that if I stick at it and really give myself a chance then I can and will stay sober.
Everyone here is so inspiring and it's also really opened my eyes to how people can support each other through addiction and everything that goes with it.
Congratulations on 74 days! I'm sure that feels so good to say and I cant wait for my turn 🙂
Just goes to show that we do all have our own journey!
Old 03-01-2020, 02:22 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Congratulations and welcome to SR!!
Hi Delilah!

So super sorry, just realised I missed your comment yesterday 🤦*♀️
Thank you so much!