Notices

Self Worth-Values and Purpose in Life

Old 02-21-2020, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self Worth-Values and Purpose in Life

The main navigational tools in life are values and purpose. People overcome hurts, hangups and habits, out of purpose-based motivation (based on values). People better themselves when they recognize how their habits, violate who they were, what they want to be and where they want to go in life.

Addictions are nothing more than displaced behaviors that are caused by one overwhelming emotion, intolerable, “Helplessness.” When one feels helpless, they feel powerless, trapped and out of control. The purpose of addictive behavior is to reverse this sense of helplessness with a quick fix or mood changer of substances or other behaviors.

The antidote is direct healthy behaviors based on values and purpose that empower ourselves to regain control of our emotions and make us feel good about ourselves.

What is a person’s source of self-esteem or self-worth? This is the most important question you will ever ask yourself. This is the core of depression and addiction. And the bottom line is, only your own sense of self-worth determines how you feel!

I lost my values and purpose in life and spent 4 decades drinking and drugging.

When I regained my values and purpose in life, I don’t get drunk or take drugs anymore, because I like and prefer myself normal.

When your values trump your addiction, there is no addiction.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This mode of thinking works for me. Thank you for the reminder.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well said, thank you!
Old 02-21-2020, 10:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How did you regain those values ?
Old 02-21-2020, 07:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
How did you regain those values ?
In one sentence, "I reconnected with my faith."

I swallowed my pride and made an intellectual decision to delegate control to God. I remain the Chief Executive Officer of my life but God is my Chief Operations Officer.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
Old 02-21-2020, 07:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No god here. I was tired of being divided against myself. I, finally, grew up and, piece by piece, started to take responsibility for my life and my impact and started to treat the fleeting moments of my life with respect. Only sobriety provides for that.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ZIP

Nice.
One of the things I came to realize in the sober journey was spiritual connection.
I believe whoever plopped you onto this orb didn't do so in order for you to be a life-long drunkard. So, don't behave as one.
​​Unfortunately, it took me many years to receive my much-needed spiritual kick in the ass...
Old 02-21-2020, 09:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No god here also, and values are one area I have absolutely no problem with. As a person who suffers from mental illness I find the reference to "the core of depression" simply appalling.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
No god here also, and values are one area I have absolutely no problem with. As a person who suffers from mental illness I find the reference to "the core of depression" simply appalling.
I apologize HeadEast for offending you. I suffered from depression myself and I was referring to the common denominator with depression being a sense of loss. Loss of self esteem and self worth are always present.

With respect to a god, you certainly don't have to believe in God to have values and purpose in life or be a good person.

On a personal note I do think we owe it to ourselves to examine the evidence and make our own decision. Personally, I agree with the French philosopher, scientist and mathematician, Blaise Pascal in which he explains in, “Pascal’s Wager,” that since God might or might not exist, you might as well act as if he does, since if you’re wrong you lose nothing, but if you’re right you gain eternal happiness.

Peter Kreeft
Old 02-22-2020, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nez

since God might or might not exist, you might as well act as if he does, since if you’re wrong you lose nothing, but if you’re right you gain eternal happiness.
I attempt to live up to my values and purpose whether god exists or not. If I can only do that by believing in god, then I am not living up to them.

I never lost my values and purpose. I just spent a lot of years not living up to them. In recovery I am attempting to do so.

Some people might argue that my values and purpose come (or must come) from god. To me, knowing the answer to that is not as important as my actions. The answer to "How am I doing on living up to me values and purpose?" is far more important to me, no matter who or what is watching or not.