Notices

Day 26 - hurdles

Old 02-02-2020, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 26 - hurdles

Hey everyone, checking in at day 26.

Yesterday I had a massive trigger - seeing my auntie in hospital really stressed me out (the poor love has been stuck on a ward for three weeks so is naturally feeling blue). She was quite downbeat and depressed. I spoke to the nurse and said I’d take her out just for perhaps 20 mins so she could get some fresh air and look at the birds around the pond in the hospital grounds. We also had a little shop around the hospital concourse, and this short outing really seemed to lift her spirits. Now for the selfish bit...

This had a huge impact on me, for whatever reason, and I felt so exhausted and depressed upon leaving I wanted so badly to go to a pub, any pub (I specifically wanted to go to a pub, not drink at home, who knows why, odd) and I wanted to get absolutely wasted. I didn’t. I came home, put on my pj’s, had a healthy meal and went to sleep at around 10.30. But before I went to bed, I had a phone conversation with my father. Oh, boy. What a negative nancy, he really dragged me down into the dirt with what he had to say! I didn’t say anything, just laughed along and hung up, exhausted.

I woke up this morning feeling really sad and hurt from the conversation with my father, and I had nightmares about a “friend” that really upset me, also. But today - I did not want to drink. Yesterday was my hurdle - I got through it by reminding myself that I need to learn to deal with uncomfortable feelings and sit with them, address them and move on rather than allowing myself to tell myself that I can’t deal with X,Y or X situation and drinking myself stupid to “cope”. It hasn’t been the best weekend, and it’s back to college tomorrow, but I dealt with emotions head on without resorting to alcohol. Perhaps that’s small but it feels like something to me.

Happy Sunday, everyone
Old 02-02-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is a display of strength SuperMario. Very well done and I, for one, am proud of you.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is really good stuff. Especially for being so early in sobriety, these things that happen to us, people we love hurting, the dreams of one of "those" people...we learn how to deal and you did the one critical thing: didn't drink.

It didn't always feel true at the time but the next day and a changed spirit and mindset comes faster than we think it can.

Keep going and be gentle with yourself today. Make your return to classes tomorrow the best it can be!
Old 02-02-2020, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
That is a display of strength SuperMario. Very well done and I, for one, am proud of you.
What a beautiful thing to say, and I’m genuinely very moved. Thank you so much
Old 02-02-2020, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
This is really good stuff. Especially for being so early in sobriety, these things that happen to us, people we love hurting, the dreams of one of "those" people...we learn how to deal and you did the one critical thing: didn't drink.

It didn't always feel true at the time but the next day and a changed spirit and mindset comes faster than we think it can.

Keep going and be gentle with yourself today. Make your return to classes tomorrow the best it can be!
Thank you! I just feel very exhausted today and had a lot planned (non-urgent or important). I thought no, I want to rest and indulge in doing nothing, I know my “all or nothing” attitude has not worked in the past, so I’m trying something new - learning to crawl before I can walk, before even attempting a run.

Thank you for the encouraging words!

I know we get sober primarily for ourselves, but does anyone else feel that you’re getting sober for all of us here as well? What I mean is, I don’t want to let anyone down, and I want to make people proud! Silly, I know! Perhaps I am silly, haha!
Old 02-02-2020, 07:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I cant say anything that hasnt already been said so I will repeat what Surrender said.
Tremendous show of strength!
The world is testing you and you get an A++ with a few bonus points!
I've said it before, nothing wrong with doing nothing but lounging around and recharging the soul. Especially after a day like yesterday.

And absolutely yes, I feel a little obligated to stay sober for the group here after all the time and efforts they put into helping us.

Stay strong, tou can do this!
Old 02-02-2020, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good work 💪 Supermario

That is exactly what I had to do early days.

Grow a tiny bit each day.

Previous attempts had seen me put huge unrealistic expectations on myself.

My mantra this time is "it's a marathon not a sprint"

I can already read a different you, from the one that started a thread full of despair not that long ago.

You're doing it mate.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mario, you did an awesome job of getting through the craving yesterday and that will benefit you next time a craving comes along. You're doing exactly what you need to do to stay sober, learning new and healthy ways to deal with stressful situations.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Hey everyone, checking in at day 26.

Yesterday I had a massive trigger - seeing my auntie in hospital really stressed me out (the poor love has been stuck on a ward for three weeks so is naturally feeling blue). She was quite downbeat and depressed. I spoke to the nurse and said I’d take her out just for perhaps 20 mins so she could get some fresh air and look at the birds around the pond in the hospital grounds. We also had a little shop around the hospital concourse, and this short outing really seemed to lift her spirits. Now for the selfish bit...

This had a huge impact on me, for whatever reason, and I felt so exhausted and depressed upon leaving I wanted so badly to go to a pub, any pub (I specifically wanted to go to a pub, not drink at home, who knows why, odd) and I wanted to get absolutely wasted. I didn’t. I came home, put on my pj’s, had a healthy meal and went to sleep at around 10.30. But before I went to bed, I had a phone conversation with my father. Oh, boy. What a negative nancy, he really dragged me down into the dirt with what he had to say! I didn’t say anything, just laughed along and hung up, exhausted.

I woke up this morning feeling really sad and hurt from the conversation with my father, and I had nightmares about a “friend” that really upset me, also. But today - I did not want to drink. Yesterday was my hurdle - I got through it by reminding myself that I need to learn to deal with uncomfortable feelings and sit with them, address them and move on rather than allowing myself to tell myself that I can’t deal with X,Y or X situation and drinking myself stupid to “cope”. It hasn’t been the best weekend, and it’s back to college tomorrow, but I dealt with emotions head on without resorting to alcohol. Perhaps that’s small but it feels like something to me.

Happy Sunday, everyone
" I got through it by reminding myself that I need to learn to deal with uncomfortable feelings and sit with them, address them and move on rather than allowing myself to tell myself that I can’t deal with X,Y or X situation and drinking myself stupid to “cope”. "

Profound, encouraging and Empowering words!
Old 02-02-2020, 01:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very glad you negotiated all of that SM

D
Old 02-02-2020, 03:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
That was good. I totally agree.