Conflict in one of the recommended “help rules”

Old 01-16-2020, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Conflict in one of the recommended “help rules”

Not sure what to quite do about this one. As I read the list of things to do to help an alcoholic from this site and ask Anon, (I have an AW who has yet to make it seem like she wants to quit)...the one item that I get stuck on is:
“Don't support the addiction by financially supporting the alcoholic or addict.

Money is the lifeblood of addiction. Financial support can be provided in many ways and they all serve to prolong the arrival of consequences. Buying groceries, paying for a car repair, loaning money, paying rent, and paying court fines are all examples of contributing to the continuation of alcohol or drug use. Money is almost always given by family members with the best of intentions, but it always serves to enable the alcoholic or addict to avoid the natural and necessary consequences of addiction. Many addicts recover simply because they could not get money to buy their drug. Consequently they experience withdrawal symptoms and often seek help.”

We are married, obviously live and share together etc. We do maintain separate financial accounts but I pay the mortgage and the bulk of expenses as my income happens to be far greater than my wife. For instance it would not be in her means to cover half of our mortgage from just her earnings.

This concept is obviously confusing in a marriage. Seems easier to be realistic with a family member or child.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is she contributing to any part of the mortgage payments at all?
Old 01-16-2020, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No. She currently pay some regular bills and picks up minor expenses. There is a large gap in our income.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Milljax View Post
No. She currently pay some regular bills and picks up minor expenses. There is a large gap in our income.
That's not all that unusual.

So this is what you have worked out financially between you. Why would you change that.

That "rule" means don't diminish the other person's contribution just because they need money for drugs/alcohol.

Don't pay your Daughter's rent when she is a raging heroin addict.

If this has been your financial set up for some time, I can't see why you should change it now. It probably won't make one drop of difference to her drinking habits.

You can't control this financially.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That makes sense to me. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is what some couples do:

If one person earns 75% of the household income, and the other 25%, then that's how the expenses are divided.

It doesn't necessarily mean mean sitting down every time a bill comes in and asking for a check. My Late husband and I would kind of keep track of what each of us paid, and towards the end of the month, the one who hadn't paid as much over the month paid the next upcoming bills.

That being said, are you going to cancel the cable if she doesn't pay her share? If you truly feel you are being used for your income, that's a separate issue.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can't help but wonder, Milljax, if with all these questions about what or what not to do surrounding your alcoholic wife's behavior, you're not missing the bigger picture here.

There is no checklist you can follow that will get her to stop drinking one second before she is ready to do so. If that day ever comes, and there is no guarantee that it will.

In the meantime, you need to decide how you want to live your life. You have options.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When in a tangle of doubt, cash is a bad idea. If there is a reason given like she can't pay a bill she is normally able to pay, it might be reasonable to pay it directly.

ALl of this keeps everyone embroiled in, frankly and IME, increasingly frought and painful dynamics.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Milljax View Post
"Many addicts recover simply because they could not get money to buy their drug. Consequently they experience withdrawal symptoms and often seek help.”
I can see where this part of the article can lead loved ones into yet one more hope of getting their alcoholic to sober up. This statement is misleading and I'm not even sure if it's true. Perhaps "many" addicts do not buy as much substance when they are low on cash, but full-on recover just because one revenue stream dries up? I highly doubt it. Learning not to enable with financial band aids is an important part of learning about addiction, but this article goes so far as to dangle the hope that we can lead the alcoholic into recovery by withholding funds - and that is simply not so.

Short of 24/7 physical restraint, there is absolutely no way to stop an alcoholic who wants to drink. NONE.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We have all seen the bad choice addicts make when drinking, from driving drunk to robbing someone, to getting into fights, getting arrested and so on. I agree with the other posters, you need to start working on your participation in the game of marriage with an addict.

I am sure you have tried everything to get your spouse sober (thats why you are here looking for more ideas on "how to get our spouse sober and live happily ever after). Sometimes when we change thing up, we get different responses. Enabling our addicts is one big issue for us codies.... Ex: We clean up after they make messes from being drunk, we call in sick for them being hung over, they pass out on the floor in the kitchen and we get them to bed. These are some of the areas that we enable our addicts, its not only about having cash to buys alcohol or drugs.

Let me tell you they will always find the money. I read here that an addict would step over a dead body if they needed to have that drink. Addiction is a powerful force and only the addict has the control to rain it in.

Keep reading all over this forum... education is power!!