Notices

Horrible event here in Italy

Old 01-06-2020, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Horrible event here in Italy

I just was browsing the newspaper and saw a horrifying article that has crushed me and left me sobbing.

On Saturday night a group of German tourists (ages19-25) were responsible and took the free bus from the discotheque back to their hotel. The bus let them off and they were crossing the street when a cap approached at a high speed and plowed into them. 6 dead, 11 injured, 4 gravely injured. The driver was four times over the alcohol limit. 27 years old.

The driver is currently in the psychiatric unit at the hospital as he tried to commit suicide when he realized what he had done. When he gets out he will be taken straight to jail.

It was reported that 7 ambulances arrived with 8 emergency doctors and over 50 nurses. The quotes from them state they had never seen such a devastating scene.

My heart is so heavy for the dead, the injured, their families and yes, also the driver. But for the grace of God it could have been me.

Stay safe friends. If you are still drinking, please don’t drive. Or even ride a bike (I got a DUI on a bike once)
Old 01-06-2020, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is insane. Alcohol is surely one of mankind's worst discoveries.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

https://www.google.it/amp/s/www.nyti...-dead.amp.html
Old 01-06-2020, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read a staggering number recently about alcohol related deaths. The worldwide tally is estimated to be around 3 million per year.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That is awful. 6 people dead is unreal.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Terrible news Mera.

Terrible for everyone. The German tourists, and he himself at only 27 years, his life destroyed. Foolhardy.

My thoughts to the people and families involved.

Alcohol kills.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Horrifying. How on earth do you kill 6 people? There but for the grace of God, or just plain dumb luck, go many of us, I'm sure.

It just goes to show for some us - certainly me, if not drink driving, one way or another - drink really can plunge you into a living nightmare.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That’s awful
Old 01-06-2020, 11:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My prayers for all involved. Such a tragedy. 😪
Old 01-06-2020, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is simply awful. I can’t get it out of my mind. The NYT article I linked only gave his initials, but his name is Stefano. I saw his picture in the Italian newspaper. I’m praying for him just as hard as I am praying for the victims and their families.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness...that is so tragic. A reminder of how deadly alcohol can be. Prayers to all.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A terrible thing to happen, also a reminder. I drink drove on several occasions and had a few crashes. Thankfully it was only the car damaged and not me or anyone else. Another 'yet' that can always happen if I'm not careful.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There was a case in my area years ago that was all over the news.

A limo driver was drunk and a small child was killed.

An attorney friend of mine said he saw him in jail and his eyes looked just dead.

I believe that man in Italy will need your prayers mera.

Its just sad all the way around.

Thank GOD I dont drink alcohol anymore.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My heart breaks for all of them.

We could all have been Stefano, or at least I could.

One stupid decision and so many lives ruined but its all not only legal but encouraged.

So so sad.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I just was browsing the newspaper and saw a horrifying article that has crushed me and left me sobbing.

On Saturday night a group of German tourists (ages19-25) were responsible and took the free bus from the discotheque back to their hotel. The bus let them off and they were crossing the street when a cap approached at a high speed and plowed into them. 6 dead, 11 injured, 4 gravely injured. The driver was four times over the alcohol limit. 27 years old.

The driver is currently in the psychiatric unit at the hospital as he tried to commit suicide when he realized what he had done. When he gets out he will be taken straight to jail.

It was reported that 7 ambulances arrived with 8 emergency doctors and over 50 nurses. The quotes from them state they had never seen such a devastating scene.

My heart is so heavy for the dead, the injured, their families and yes, also the driver. But for the grace of God it could have been me.

Stay safe friends. If you are still drinking, please don’t drive. Or even ride a bike (I got a DUI on a bike once)
Obviously I feel sorry for all the victims, but I have to confess when I read that the driver tried to kill himself, I could empathise with his predicament. I have never done anything like that, but I definitely could have. His life is ruined and he will have all that guilt to contend with.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

As horrific as this is, thanks for posting Mera.

Terrible for the families of the dead and for the injured . . . .and horrible for Stefano. He may well not remember even getting into the car. I wish he could go into a time machine and undo what he did . . . .I suppose we are all working on our futures in our sobriety . . . .and perhaps even, saving multiple lives.

I still miss wine sometimes which is why I come here to read.