Notices

The first day is...

Old 11-29-2019, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy The first day is...

The first day is the worst day, right? Please say yes.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Give it time and you will see that the first day was the best day as it was the day your life turned around 😃

You won’t ever need to feel like today ever again
Old 11-29-2019, 03:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I found the first three days were horrible, then it started to get better. Just don't drink!! Tough it out and you'll never have to go thru it again.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope you get a good nights sleep tonight alcohol free. I felt physically better on day 3, so you are on your way. Rest, hydrate and nurture yourself this weekend.
I know I would do a number on myself over this time of year. Monday will be day 4 just like that!
Keep posting let us know how you are doing/
Old 11-29-2019, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by benitoD View Post
The first day is the worst day, right? Please say yes.
It definitely was for me. Obviously it varies for everyone. The important thing is you keep the momentum going.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things do get better than this I promise - good to see you back

D
Old 11-29-2019, 04:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Things do get better than this I promise - good to see you back

D
Thanks. I had a small stroke shortly after I quit this summer and with all the stress from that, old habits crept back into my life. Now another serious try before my liver completely gives up.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The first day is definitely the worse. Stick with it.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Okay, the first day is the worst. The second day is better, and so on.
The important thing to remember, taking a drink will make the first day worse because the days don't stop.
If you drink, there's another first day waiting for you.
I had hundreds of first days, literally, and they were all bad. But as time went on, I had day one behind me and could build my way to sobriety.
I had to make some day the first day. Sure it's hard. But the good news is, by not drinking it gets better.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Change is difficult.

Once you get through this, you won't have to ever do it again, if you don't want to!
Old 11-30-2019, 03:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ain't no sugar coating here my friend . the first few days suck butt big time. But hey small price to pay for what coming ahead. Stick with it see for yourself. ✌
Old 11-30-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by benitoD View Post
Thanks. I had a small stroke shortly after I quit this summer and with all the stress from that, old habits crept back into my life. Now another serious try before my liver completely gives up.
So, no, the first day isn't the worst. This time your first day is probably worse than last time, and if you keep having them, they will be worse.

It does suck. And unequivocally each day sober is better than any day I was drinking, by the end for sure and at plenty of points til that end. But no, every day of my sober life (1380 today) has not been "good." One 48 hour period during my early back surgery recovery this fall was just about like days in my first wk sober. Notably, some of the critical self care things I do in sobriety were exactly what I did not do then.

I'm challenging you a bit on your different posts because I kept going til it was almost too late, and relate to a lot of your questions...which seem to me like you aren't ready to quit, for good.

I hope you don't stay in the cycle of dying.

What will you do to quit for good?
Old 11-30-2019, 09:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It sure was for me since I spent most of it puking. (TMI? Haha, sorry.)

Seriously though... physically I think it is the worst, but mentally I found it fairly easy since I was in so much pain there was no way I wanted to drink. The temptation might be worse later when you feel better and forget why you quit... so don't forget.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It will keep getting better from here. Hang in there and stick close to SR. You can do this!
Old 12-01-2019, 06:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It does suck. But it gets so much better. Hang in there and you will see.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's getting easier

Day 1 was the worst.
Day 2 was a little easier.
Optimistic for day 3. 😀
A little scared to have to go back to my booze-filled work environment tomorrow, but I'll be strong.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Most of us find that having a plan, and I don't mean a recovery one in this instance, is essential for our return to work, and everything. I mean steps - plan out your day, keep gum or NA bevs or whatever on hand - I'd also suggest not doing any wine swishing and spitting tomorrow- take snacks...whatever. I've never been sorry if I 'over' planned for anything, and I definitely couldn't have over planned at the start.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day three was my worst. that's the one where I always failed. Day 4 was a close second, but by day 10, I was happy as a lark and on my way to what has been a 24 year adventure in joy.

But day 1, day 3, or day 4, we are talking about a minuscule amount of time. It's easy to focus on each day in the beginning, but I think it would be more realistic to say the first week is going to be hard. It varies for everyone, so identifying the actual worst day doesn't help, and even if someone took an average of what the worst day was for a large group, it's unlikely that it would apply to any individual.

Let's look at it this way. It's going to get better, and probably sooner than you think.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 5

Still at it on Day 5. The days are hard and the nights are easy, but I'm determined.

My one big fear is that it might have been a day late and a dollar short. My liver seems to be in pretty awful shape and my my PCP already told me that I'd never qualify for a transplant.

It's what keeps me going now. If I don't stay sober, I know I won't be around for my family. At least that makes it a little easier to be determined.

Sorry to be so "sharing" but I don't have anyone else to talk to about this.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Benito. You should never be sorry for sharing and there is always someone to talk to. Day 5 is awesome and keep it going.