Notices

Life Insurance (UK) - History of alcoholism

Old 11-18-2019, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life Insurance (UK) - History of alcoholism

I’m filling in life insurance forms, and they include questions asking if I’ve ever been advised to cut down on drinking, referred to a counsellor, etc. As I saw my GP just over a year ago about my drinking and was referred to a counsellor, I would have to answer “yes”.

As I gave up 11 months ago, have great blood test results and even a nice and healthy recent liver fibroscan report, I’ll visit my GP and ask what they would say if approached by any insurance company,

A quick google shows there are insurance companies who will even consider insuring people who’ve damaged their health through drinking, so I’m sure I’ll get insurance. Furthermore, I’m “only” after £100K coverage just to pay the remaining mortgage in case I shuffle off this mortal coil within the next ten years. Premiums would not be prohibitively expensive.

Obviously, honesty is the only policy in such cases, but has anyone else (ex-drinkers) had issues with life insurance?
Old 11-18-2019, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
I’m filling in life insurance forms, and they include questions asking if I’ve ever been advised to cut down on drinking, referred to a counsellor, etc. As I saw my GP just over a year ago about my drinking and was referred to a counsellor, I would have to answer “yes”.

As I gave up 11 months ago, have great blood test results and even a nice and healthy recent liver fibroscan report, I’ll visit my GP and ask what they would say if approached by any insurance company,

A quick google shows there are insurance companies who will even consider insuring people who’ve damaged their health through drinking, so I’m sure I’ll get insurance. Furthermore, I’m “only” after £100K coverage just to pay the remaining mortgage in case I shuffle off this mortal coil within the next ten years. Premiums would not be prohibitively expensive.

Obviously, honesty is the only policy in such cases, but has anyone else (ex-drinkers) had issues with life insurance?
I was refused accident and sickness insurance many years ago, but I have an anxiety disorder and believe it was more to do with that.

What is important is that you are totally honest, because an insurance company will investigate your claim before paying out! If they can prove you weren't honest, they can invalidate your claim. So my suggestion would just be to answer 'yes' to the questions you have cited.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks 👍 I’ll answer yes, but I’ll also be proactive. My GP doesn’t know I’ve quit drinking, and the fibroscan I had done was done privately overseas. If I make my GP aware of my improvements, I’m hopefully more likely to get the all clear.

By the way, I’m not sorry at all that I went to my GP. It pretty much changed my life and I really believe I’ll be around twenty or thirty years more as a result of quitting booze along with associated lifestyle changes.

I don’t want anyone to read and hold off seeing a GP just in case of a remote chance it will affect some future insurance. Health is way more important.

Old 11-18-2019, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Most people in the UK who’ve been to a GP with alcoholism aren’t insured for driving as your driving licence is invalid for 6 or 12 months depending on the severity of your alcoholism. You’re supposed to inform the Dvla.

it always amuses me to see people with a few months sober spout on about rigorous honesty and then drive home
Old 11-18-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drug-or-...tness-to-drive

Interesting. I wasn’t aware of any of that. I wonder how that’s enforced. As I say, I went to the GP as I was on 40 units a week which equates to half a bottle of wine a day. No mention of DVLA. It’s so hard to define alcoholism.

Whilst I never drank drive, I’m sure with half a bottle of wine eight or nine hours before, I had a amount of alcohol in my system when I drove the next morning.

I still say people must go to their GP if they’re worried about drinking. Any insurances issues can be sorted. A failing liver can’t be.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hodd, I think it says something on the DVLA website itself

https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/di...alth-condition

Though as you are now sober and have a clean bill of health I am not sure if it is relevant
Old 11-18-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry Hodd, your link was better! :-)
Old 11-18-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you get some resistance, maybe they can write a clause in the policy that you are open to random drug and alcohol screening to prove you are sober. Just a thought.

Years ago a lawyer told me if was indeed c lean and was accused of being "high" immediately demand to take a drug test. I've always remembered that.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We just did insurance a year ago. We're Canada, so some similarities. For us there were so many questions and tests. Be honest, they can and will investigate further, depends on their underwriting team. This will possibly differ, after a year smoke free I can ask for a rate review.
One of my insurance policies already classes me as a non smoker and I received about $14 a month reduction. I think the next reduction is three and then 7. I was classed as a non drinker and as it had been a year sober at that point, I was over their threshold for further questions.
I had abnormal cell growth in my 20s, that did not preclude me as it had been so long. 10 years ago I was denied because of it.
So, it depends on underwriting and it could be, you pay a higher premium for a short while. then ask for a review.
We had blood and urine done by their nurse in our home, blood pressure, more questions, we had to sign a release for our doctor. You can't hide anything. Let them work with you. Insurance is business, you have money, they have a product.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I’ll go back to my GP to update them first. The biggest clue I don’t drink is my fibroscan test results. I did this test privately overseas (cost was the equivalent of £150) out of curiosity, and my liver was healthy and supple (score 7) with no detectable fat.

There is the risk I may relapse I guess. My GP will know that as will the insurance company, but it’s the best I can do.

I’m willing to bet many people drink too much but have never seen their GP about this or told an insurance company. Seems a very bad idea to me.

Old 11-19-2019, 02:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What could be the projection here

Originally Posted by FlyAgain View Post
Most people in the UK who’ve been to a GP with alcoholism aren’t insured for driving as your driving licence is invalid for 6 or 12 months depending on the severity of your alcoholism. You’re supposed to inform the Dvla.

it always amuses me to see people with a few months sober spout on about rigorous honesty and then drive home
Sounds like you're equating "rigorous honesty" with "blind obedience".

What might be interesting could be to ask yourself why you find your perception of someone else's lack of "rigorous honesty" amusing.

Besides, perhaps "most" people (how did you quantify that amount...) are not even aware of this rule or clause.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That’s what you call a thread diversion 😀 I must admit I didn’t understand his choice of words, but I found the DVLA link interesting albeit not related to life insurance.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by FlyAgain View Post

Unless you are under the influence when you get behind the wheel you are fine to drive and there is no legal requirement to tell the DVLA if you are an alcoholic. The Dr in very very very rare cases can report you as medically unfit to drive in which case you have to tell the DVLA. Being an alcoholic is not grounds to declare someone medically unfit.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That UK rule is amusing.
"You're getting your life together, you say? Sorry - no driving force year."
Old 11-19-2019, 11:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Half a bottle of wine per night? No wonder your liver is perfect.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
Half a bottle of wine per night? No wonder your liver is perfect.
Mmm, that’s 40 units a week, which is three times the healthy limit. Even if my liver didn’t mind, the rest of my body would. The risks of throat and bowel cancers shoot up with such drinking levels. Anyone drinking half a bottle of wine a night is in a bad place.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I’m also a little surprised that firstly I couldn’t find a similar thread and also that more posters aren’t concerned. Anyone with a family or mortgage should have some sort of life insurance, and anyone reading this now has or had problems with alcohol which will very likely affect any insurance.

So are some of us insured and just hoping for the best?
Old 11-19-2019, 03:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

From my understanding, the vast majority of people are under insured. I was shocked to hear about the people who only get a couple months insurance, just to get their sticker/tags. It is also something, a good many people don't understand, more equate it with a scheme or legal racket.
Our personal vehicles and house went up $600 this year, no accidents and our vehicles are less than 3 years old. It takes me 3 months to pay the farm insurance every year. Insurance is expensive. Our life insurance is $3,600 a year, yet we are better off than our friends to the South who have to pay medical and prescription/dental/eye on top of those insane numbers.
Adequate insurance is a luxury, so many are fighting to just make it payday to payday, I imagine insurance is way down the list of priorities, especially when you figure they may not be healthy enough to get it, let alone pay for it.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

An update on this. I stopped drinking at the end of 2018, but I had discussed my drinking with my GP before that. Last year, I applied for life insurance (to cover outstanding mortgage debt in the event of my death) and realised that obviously if I died from any illness, any insurance company would check my medical records and see my history of drinking. The sensible option was of course to declare my previous drinking.

I had to see my GP to say I’d stopped drinking. I don’t think she believed me despite the fact I’m now very fit and slim compared to the obese drinker I was. Luckily I had private LFT and liver fibroscan results to help prove my case.

Anyway, the insurance company were fine with it, and my premiums are unaffected. Honesty has to be the best policy even if premiums are higher.

So am I cured after 16 months? Not really. I’d still like a drink from time to time. However, I know 100% I’d revert back to my daily bottle of wine within a matter of days. One drink really would be too many. Luckily I accepted that 16 months ago, and I hope anyone reading will do the same.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 16 months Hodd.

No, no cure available - but there is the chance of an amazingly better life without addiction

D