Notices

High blood pressure from drinking/quitting?

Old 11-10-2019, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

High blood pressure from drinking/quitting?

I’m on day 4 of sobriety from being a daily heavy drinker. 4 days ago I had a routine dental appt and was told I had high blood pressure. I figured it was just because of dental anxiety and blew it off. Then I checked it again on my moms monitor the next day very high. Today is my 4th day sober and I checked, still very high. Obviously I will call my doctor first thing tomorrow morning but I’m a nervous wreck. I have 3 small children and I’m scared I’m going to drop dead is a heart attack. I guess I’m just wondering if anyone else had similar experience? We’re you able to fix it? How long did it take? Does alcoholism even cause this? I just need some sort of peace of mind I suppose to get me through the day. Thank you for listening
Old 11-10-2019, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. Very common. My BP was dangerously high when actively drinking. It should normalize but seeing a doctor is the right thing to do. Good luck to you.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My BP skyrocketed during drinking and while detoxing,after a week sober it leveled off but everyone is different, please check with your doctor 🌺
Old 11-10-2019, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

High blood pressure is very common when drinking. Your BP should get back to normal as long as you continue to not drink, but in the meantime, I'd check with your doctor to make sure it's not a medical concern. I know in a detox facility, they monitor BP a lot and will offer temporary medication to keep it at a reasonable level. You might benefit from some medication to help keep it in check. The good news is that this is a temporary thing and will improve the longer you don't drink. John
Old 11-10-2019, 11:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My BP went back to normal levels within a few weeks of quitting. Do see your doctor if you're concerned.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
My BP went back to normal levels within a few weeks of quitting. Do see your doctor if you're concerned.
Mine too. It was dangerously high. After a week numbers much better for me. Congrats on getting Sober !
Old 11-10-2019, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi EasyLuckyFree

yeah my bp was dangerously high too. Not sure how much of it was alcohol related cos it stayed high.

I eventually got put on a beta blocker and all is well now.

See your Dr

D
Old 11-10-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Drinking certainly does elevate your heart rate and blood pressure. Your suggestion of seeing your doctor is sound. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Your blood pressure and heart rate should both drop after a few days. Mine took about a week to drop sufficiently but I helped it by going for walks too.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! Your responses have been so helpful. I’ve been a nervous wreck all weekend (which doesn’t help I’m sure) I didn’t think it warranted a trip
to the ER (especially since my copay for ER is crazy)but even just waiting to see a dr is hard. I just realized office is closed tomorrow for holiday so I’ll have to wait another day. It’s hard because I couldn’t tell if I should go to ER or not. I took my moms at home tester and I’ve been testing it 3 times a day and tracking it. It seems to be SLOWLY going down but is definitely in the very high range still.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My BP was very high for the first 6 days after quitting but then levelled off and is normal now. Always a good idea to check with DR if your worried.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My blood pressure was high when I was drinking. So much so that I was put on medication. When I quit drinking, I anticipated blood pressure problems as I had read about that as a side effect. That's the one time I was thankful to be taking blood pressure meds! But, my blood pressure returned to normal ranges once I stopped drinking. I'm off my medication as well. Definitely check with your doctor!
Old 11-11-2019, 03:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't know about BP but I do know Digital Ash in a Digital Urn is a FANTASTIC addiction album, assuming you're a Bright Eyes fan from your name...
Old 11-11-2019, 08:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

My BP in the first days of quitting was 180/120. Now, 84 days sober it’s 110/78.

Just stop drinking and it gets better.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
I don't know about BP but I do know Digital Ash in a Digital Urn is a FANTASTIC addiction album, assuming you're a Bright Eyes fan from your name...
YES!!! My favorite band. That’s awesome that you got the reference.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
have you ever heard “cleanse song”? It’s one of my favorite happy and hopeful songs about addiction by Bright Eyes. I’ve been listening to it a lot lately .
Old 11-12-2019, 02:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EasyLuckyFree View Post

have you ever heard “cleanse song”? It’s one of my favorite happy and hopeful songs about addiction by Bright Eyes. I’ve been listening to it a lot lately .
Yeah it's a real nice one, written after having gotten sober. Conor once described himself as a functional alcoholic; I don't know if he managed to stay sober or not.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I saw him live solo about 4 years ago and he looked terrible. Then saw him about 6 months ago with Better Oblivion Community Center and he looked clean and happy , so hoping he is doing better. I’ve been obsessed with Conor since my early teen years so I always think of him as a friend and worry for him haha
Old 11-12-2019, 09:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Stay away from caffeine, especially coffee. That will raise it significantly. The drinking and any medications like ibuprofen or some allergy meds will raise it.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I honestly had no idea ibuprofen caused high blood pressure and I take it DAILY! I have severe back pain and I’m a hair stylist so I figured it was the best option. I’m 7 days off of alcohol and ibuprofen today and my blood pressure is drastically lower. It went from 160/100 to this morning was 120/80 so thankfully I think my body is slowly recovering and for that I’m thankful. It’s a huge motivation to stay sober.. next big step is getting over the fear of doing blood work.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EasyLuckyFree View Post
I saw him live solo about 4 years ago and he looked terrible. Then saw him about 6 months ago with Better Oblivion Community Center and he looked clean and happy , so hoping he is doing better. I’ve been obsessed with Conor since my early teen years so I always think of him as a friend and worry for him haha
Ah okay, I stopped following him after around Cassadaga. Didn't know about Better Oblivion, just checked 'em out, pretty good! So yeah a serial relapser. Oh Conor! Hope he's good now too.