Notices

Giving up certain activities to stay sober.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Giving up certain activities to stay sober.

Last night I was supposed to go watch one of my favorite bands play. I had a ticket to go with friends and obsessed over the thought of going all day. Even started getting ready, did my hair and make up. Sat there watching the clock and then last minute decided I didn’t trust myself. I only have 6 days sober and I KNEW it was a bad idea. I knew that I’ve been unable to go to a gig in past 15 years without drinking. I had mixed emotions. I was proud of myself for making the right decision but depressed as I sat alone on my couch, watching a movie while my friends sent me videos of the band. I hope one day I’ll be able to do the things I love again. Music has been such a huge part of my life and at the moment it seems being in that environment again is impossible.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You absolutely made the right decision not to go to the gig. We all need to make sacrifices to stay sober.

Waking up sober is the reward.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It gets easier. Don’t give up.
In time you will be able to enjoy the band sober.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I stopped drinking, one of the best things I heard was "No." Is a complete sentence. Not going to anything unnecessary (which, truthfully, is anything) was both the smart and the simplest path to staying sober. In time, I chose good people and places to spend time with, and only those supporting my happy sober life.

Good job on 6 days. Keep going.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It was painful staying at home but it would have been infinitely worse going to a music show with lots of drinking around you. Being around lots of drinking sober is the second worst thing to falling off the wagon. Both terrible and a waste of time.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You will be able to do the things you love again sober, but that's down the road. When that time comes will be your own decision, based on where you think you are in recovery. An all day concert with drinking friends is extreme high risk at this point. You were right to pass so early in recovery. Give it 6 months at a very minimum. You will sense when you can safely go, but I would arrange transportation for yourself that you can rely on to get out of there the minute you feel things start to go south. That's a good rule for any risk situation. We call it "having an escape plan."
Old 11-11-2019, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

EasyLuckyFree - You were so smart to avoid temptation & a possible disaster.
My emotions were raw in the early days - I was a bit resentful & sorry for myself. I wasn't in any condition to be around alcohol. I grew stronger & more resilient as the sober time added up. I felt very different a few months later - and had no problem enjoying some of my old activities. I just needed to learn to trust myself & to treasure my new sober life. Nothing was going to tear down what I was building. You will get there. Congratulations on your 6 days & for making such a wise decision.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey it doesn’t mean you can’t ever go again - but it takes time to get a new attitude to things you used to drunk.

i also used to go to gigs all the time and got smashed. I generally had a great time - if I remembered much about it.

i had gig tickets to one of my faves when I was about 1 month sober but didn’t go and gave the tickets away.

i finally went to a gig last week (10 months sober) I was worried how I would feel and nearly didn’t go.

it was one of these bands that was mildly entertaining when smashed but rather than come away thinking “oh I miss drinking” I came away thinking “I’ll choose more interesting bands next time”

so give it time and you will be able to go again, but your attitude will have changed.

ps it was the Happy Monday’s if anyone remembers them and I mainly stood there chuckling at the comical sight of a grey haired bloke in his 50s still doing his drugged up dancing (Bez)
Old 11-11-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes u definitely made the right decision. U clearly know what will trigger u & ur taking steps to avoid it, well done!! Congratulations on day 6 too!!
Just think, in time u could end up enjoying these types of social gatherings but for now, this early on ur looking after urself.x
Old 11-11-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job , way too early in your recovery to do that. You will be able to see bands in the future. You’ll enjoy it more also, I’m speaking from experience.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I join others in knowing you did the right thing. Sobriety is a major life change. It will get better.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for the responses! Maybe I should have came on here last night and posted instead of laying on my couch alone feeling bad for myself haha. Going to watch shows has been a HUGE part of my life but also a very drunk part of my life. A lot of people go bars on the weekend.. I got to watch bands play and drink. It’s not that I can’t enjoy shows without being drunk.. because I love music. It’s just in those venues and drinking seem to go hand and hand . I’m glad to know others have been through this. Hopefully I’ll get there one day, until then I guess it’s just listening to records at home
Old 11-11-2019, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

There will be a time when you can go anywhere and do anything and not be remotely tempted to drink...but right now? you're wise to be cautious.

Hang in there - it gets better

Concerts are just as much fun sober...even more so IMO - and you remember the show

D
Old 11-11-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FlyAgain View Post
Hey it doesn’t mean you can’t ever go again - but it takes time to get a new attitude to things you used to drunk.

i also used to go to gigs all the time and got smashed. I generally had a great time - if I remembered much about it.

i had gig tickets to one of my faves when I was about 1 month sober but didn’t go and gave the tickets away.

i finally went to a gig last week (10 months sober) I was worried how I would feel and nearly didn’t go.

it was one of these bands that was mildly entertaining when smashed but rather than come away thinking “oh I miss drinking” I came away thinking “I’ll choose more interesting bands next time”

so give it time and you will be able to go again, but your attitude will have changed.

ps it was the Happy Monday’s if anyone remembers them and I mainly stood there chuckling at the comical sight of a grey haired bloke in his 50s still doing his drugged up dancing (Bez)
that’s hilarious! About a month ago I went to see Morrissey. I wasn’t sober but only had 2 beers because I was driving home after. I LOVE the Smiths but Morrissey wasn’t appealing to sober me, in fact he was extremely annoying and pretentious.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah there are many changes one has to make to protect their sobriety. Once your recovery is strong going to gigs is a non-issue however.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It is very likely that you did the right thing.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Easy - I just noticed the time stamp on this thread and saw it is about the same time as the one you posted about talking yourself into drinking around 2p. So I wanted to tell you how HUGE it is that you talked yourself OUT of going to a very dicey situation, especially as you had all those thoughts running around in your head.

That is HUGE! Great going.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I fear I may need to give up video games - at least for a bit - for me to stay sober.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Easy - I just noticed the time stamp on this thread and saw it is about the same time as the one you posted about talking yourself into drinking around 2p. So I wanted to tell you how HUGE it is that you talked yourself OUT of going to a very dicey situation, especially as you had all those thoughts running around in your head.

That is HUGE! Great going.
thank you so much! The support on these forums have been so helpful. I’ve been coming on here a lot and reading when I feel tempted. I don’t have any sober friends so not many people understand.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
I fear I may need to give up video games - at least for a bit - for me to stay sober.
TWTOM - I found it a little random but there were things I just couldn't bring myself to do - or want to do because I connected it with bad things - for quite awhile in sobriety. I enjoy cooking and for the last few yrs of my drinking I would make these great dinners from one of the cooking magazines I scoured, or make 6 frittatas with diff ingredients even tho I lived alone and that was ridiculous, all while drinking...and typically not eat much or any of the food. It was a good year and once my now husband and I were together that we started doing it together.