Notices

All over the place

Old 11-08-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All over the place

Hi nice people,
Gosh all over the place today. I am not going to my 1p normal meeting since I was unable to shower. My parents are ripping the house apart and doing a deep cleaning- Bathtub out of commission. I will go to a 4pm meeting today feeling shower and fresh.
There is a older gentleman that is very serious/focused and committed to helping in Sobriety. After I spoke at this meeting Sunday he suggested I call him every night between 8-9p until I find a sponsor.
I have not called him. I do not want to call him. Have no desire to phone him. I am going to lie (of course I am comes naturally) I do not want to hurt his feelings and say I lost his number. No doubt he will be there today.
I have no sponsor. I had sponsor's in the past but this time I have no idea who to ask and who would be willing. I have two woman that have been there for me but I am not sure they are available for sponsorship.
Then comes the One day at a time - that I just love to use when it comes
down to anything I really need to tackle. I need to get online and order a duplicate license- I keep saying one day at a time-you can do it tomorrow. My bedroom at my parents house looks like a bomb went off in it- One day at a time I can get organized tomorrow. My sweats are tight- One day at a time - I am even putting off drinking water.
Ok just feeling better physically but my alcoholic behavior of living in the problems that can easily be checked off. It like I do it on purpose to create drama- I can not drive/get a part time job without an ID
Get it done!
Thank you for listening to my rant. Just feel down , stagnant and dumpy right now if that makes any sense.
today is day 14 . I may jump in shower , take a long walk go to meeting and make my soup. Oh and drink some water I think I can manage that
Old 11-08-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One thing that helped me in early days was, "Just do the next right thing."

It doesn't have to be drink water lose weight buy clothes take shower get ID get job clean room go to meeting get sponsor do steps all ...by 3PM.

Just do one next right thing. Then write it down. Instead of a To Do List, I like a "I Did It List." Much less stressful and more positive.

Slllllllllllloooooooowwwww down. (I have that written on my bathroom mirror, BTW. "Slow Down!" )

I'd tell that guy at AA that I wanted to stick with the ladies for now. (You are female, right?) That's one less worry and totally "AA."
Old 11-08-2019, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
One thing that helped me in early days was, "Just do the next right thing."

It doesn't have to be drink water lose weight buy clothes take shower get id get job clean room get sponsor do steps all ...by 3PM.

Just do one next right thing. Then write it down. Instead of a To Do List, I like a "I Did It List." Much less stressful and more positive.

Slllllllllllloooooooowwwww down. (I have that written on my bathroom mirror, BTW. "Slow. Down!" )

I'd tell that guy at AA that I wanted to stick with the ladies for now. (You are female, right?) That's one less worry and totally "AA."
This post is brilliant. Thank you!
I love I did list.
So far today my I did list
Got on my knees and asked my HP for help /obsession removed/patience
Posted here
Made a plan for a meeting.
was able make and eat breakfast.
drinking a bottle of water
its 120P EST still sober
cuddled with my puppy

and
it doesn't have to be drink water lose weight buy clothes take shower get id get job clean room get sponsor do steps all ...by 3PM.

you read my mind
Thank you again
Old 11-08-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just one thing...

I never pray for patience any more. All I got as an answer to that one was more trials!! God was letting me practice. Now I try being grateful any time I get through something difficult without saying or doing anything for which I feel a need to apologize. Good enough!

And really, any day I get my head on the pillow sober at the end is a success.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Just one thing...

I never pray for patience any more. All I got as an answer to that one was more trials!! God was letting me practice. Now I try being grateful any time I get through something difficult without saying or doing anything for which I feel a need to apologize. Good enough!

And really, any day I get my head on the pillow sober at the end is a success.
like this and I love how you focus on the positive attributes you posses! The more I focus on patience the more inpatient I become and sabotage myself...Makes much sense and thank you for your wisdom.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're doing great!
Old 11-09-2019, 08:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Woah...you got alot going on. I know the feeling. I soooooooo love Do The Next Right Thing. Sounds like you're doing lots of right thing.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hmmm. You talk a lot about being stuck in 'alcoholic' thinking patterns. I can relate to that. And to stay sober those patterns need to be broken, I believe.

I would invite you to consider being honest with this man. If he is in recovery his feelings won't be hurt. Just tell him the truth. You know you won't call him and don't want to be misleading. You appreciate the gesture. Lost the number? Frankly that's like the dog ate my homework and more misleading than anything. Just a thought. I think honesty, with self and others, is the foundation of this staying sober thing. You can be straight with someone without being hurtful.

I think you are female so sticking with the ladies is definitely the right thing to do, as wise Bimini suggest. But you aren't responsible for his feelings.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Drink some water, your body needs it! It is one thing you can do that will help you think and heal better!
Old 11-09-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You've got a lot going on! Just do what you can and get to the rest when you can.

You're doing great!

Also wanted to agree with the others: I'd tell the man that I'd prefer to stick with the ladies. That's pretty standard AA.

And you could let him know you've got lady friends in recovery to talk to--like us here! (Plus the guys here, too, of course!)
Old 11-09-2019, 12:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by entropy1964 View Post
Hmmm. You talk a lot about being stuck in 'alcoholic' thinking patterns. I can relate to that. And to stay sober those patterns need to be broken, I believe.

I would invite you to consider being honest with this man. If he is in recovery his feelings won't be hurt. Just tell him the truth. You know you won't call him and don't want to be misleading. You appreciate the gesture. Lost the number? Frankly that's like the dog ate my homework and more misleading than anything. Just a thought. I think honesty, with self and others, is the foundation of this staying sober thing. You can be straight with someone without being hurtful.

I think you are female so sticking with the ladies is definitely the right thing to do, as wise Bimini suggest. But you aren't responsible for his feelings.

Thank you for your post. I agree. I need to be honest . I am glad I posted this situation because it does have me living in the problems.

This person has many many many years sober and I am not going to hurt his feelings. I need to take care of myself and be honest.
Because if I am not honest and start avoiding people that leads to avoiding a meeting. This might be the one meeting that saves my life one day.

Ugh just so raw- feel like an egg- thin shell -my insides are liquid , gooey.
I wish I was a strong person. I need to start using those honesty muscles.

Thank you
Old 11-09-2019, 01:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think strength is never feeling fear or doubt - it's feeling those things but moving forward anyway?

D
Old 11-10-2019, 08:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your points are very spot-on for early recovery, faith.

My mind was all over the place as well.

I also admire your candor in identifying and owning your feelings.

You sound like you're doing a great job to me.

I am an AA'er, too.

It's the path I have chosen and followed for a good while now.

It's worked for me.

I would suggest that you call this older gentlemen, as he suggested, until you get a sponsor.

I got sober at the age of 31 and I had a tendency to shut out old members when they spoke, because the age gap seemed to make it appear that we could have little in common.

I did that until a little old lady spoke and I quickly discerned that she had probably been sober since I was in diapers and that she had probably forgotten more about sobriety than I may ever know.

I quickly changed my attitude about whom to listen to and to try to emulate.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
Your points are very spot-on for early recovery, faith.

My mind was all over the place as well.

I also admire your candor in identifying and owning your feelings.

You sound like you're doing a great job to me.

I am an AA'er, too.

It's the path I have chosen and followed for a good while now.

It's worked for me.

I would suggest that you call this older gentlemen, as he suggested, until you get a sponsor.

I got sober at the age of 31 and I had a tendency to shut out old members when they spoke, because the age gap seemed to make it appear that we could have little in common.

I did that until a little old lady spoke and I quickly discerned that she had probably been sober since I was in diapers and that she had probably forgotten more about sobriety than I may ever know.

I quickly changed my attitude about whom to listen to and to try to emulate.
Thank you SoberCAH- you are just plain awesome.

Thank you for your post.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I attended different AA meetings as often as possible to listen to people who had been in the program for quite a while before I asked someone to sponsor me. I knew I would need someone I could relate to who had been through similar experiences. I got a sponsor a couple months ago who I heard speak several times and his story is quite similar to mine. Keep going to the meetings and listening.