Notices

This way of life is better

Old 11-06-2019, 12:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This way of life is better

I have come back because this way of life is better for me.
i did so well a few months ago and had 5 weeks off. I chose to drink. I thought I could. Let it be known it's not what I want anymore.
In a few short months straight back into old habits right where I left off. I watched as things around me fall apart, deteriating. No good has come from it.
I know what I want now and a way to get there.
Work progress results
To a better me
Thanks for being here SR
Old 11-06-2019, 01:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you drank again Final call, but I'm glad you're back

do you think you're at the point now where you accept you can't control your drinking?

D
Old 11-06-2019, 01:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

If it wasn't for SR, i would have never made it.

I was saved by the science of my addiction vs the miracle of step work...so far

Step work is there is i need it, but what I really needed was an understanding of why i felt the way i did while i was healing and now.

it boiled down to brain damage from decades of drinking. years of addiction had become my crutch for life. those days are over and i approach life on life's terms strong and sober.

i still crave, but i know what is in store for me if i relapse and it is not worth it.

i get high on life due to naturally produced dopamine etc. it took a long time for this to occur. i am optimistic it will either continue to grow or i will adjust and accept what i currently produce.

exercise is my new drug. it takes about 15 minutes or so for the endorphins to kick in when i work out. the key for me is to push my body hard enough to generate the natural drugs. in the mean time, i get in shape. win win.

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry you drank again Final call, but I'm glad you're back

do you think you're at the point now where you accept you can't control your drinking?

D
I know I can't control my drinking.
I am also optimistic of where a life without it could take me
Old 11-06-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Finalcall.

Congrats on coming back. I love your resolve . I know what I want now and a way to get there.
I think half the battle for me is believing in myself and letting the universe help me.

No doubt you will. I look forward to reading about your recovery on these sober boards.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you're back.

And there is only positive everything and anything to my sober life! No bad stuff.

Rooting for you.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finalcall View Post
I have come back because this way of life is better for me.
i did so well a few months ago and had 5 weeks off. I chose to drink. I thought I could. Let it be known it's not what I want anymore.
In a few short months straight back into old habits right where I left off. I watched as things around me fall apart, deteriating. No good has come from it.
I know what I want now and a way to get there.
Work progress results
To a better me
Thanks for being here SR
We all seek serenity or happiness. All human behavior is driven by the pursuit of happiness and that, when you choose to do something, you do so because you see it as your best available option. This concept is vitally important because the only way you will stop desiring heavy substances and change your behavior is by seeing more happiness in the change than in the using. Stop seeing yourself through the lens of disease and dysfunction. If you do this you become a helpless, handicapped victim rather than an empowered chooser. You have three options: Abstain, moderate or abuse. Which option would truly make you happiest?

Which option due you value the most? When you practice your true values, you are happier.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CRRHCC View Post
We all seek serenity or happiness. All human behavior is driven by the pursuit of happiness and that, when you choose to do something, you do so because you see it as your best available option. This concept is vitally important because the only way you will stop desiring heavy substances and change your behavior is by seeing more happiness in the change than in the using. Stop seeing yourself through the lens of disease and dysfunction. If you do this you become a helpless, handicapped victim rather than an empowered chooser. You have three options: Abstain, moderate or abuse. Which option would truly make you happiest?

Which option due you value the most? When you practice your true values, you are happier.
Thank you for the above paragraph! Reading this is so powerful for me. Jotting it down in my sober journal
Old 11-06-2019, 09:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Finalcall - so good to see you.

Yes, straight back into old habits - that's how it was for me. I tried to make it 'fun' again after 3 yrs. of sobriety. I fantasized about the way drinking was in the beginning - thought of it as a buffer from stress. As my dependency grew, it caused chaos & anxiety. It was never fun or relaxing any more. Those days are gone & will never return - we can't be social drinkers.

You've made a great decision.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don't we all reminisce of the old days when partying was fun and having a few beers here and there hanging out having a good time then we created our own monster addiction no bueno sober life is where it's at