Notices

Ascites

Old 10-06-2019, 02:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ascites

Hi everyone! I just hit 14 days and I couldn’t feel better!

I’m not asking for medical advice but am curious if any of you developed ascites and if so, what was your personal experience with it?
Old 10-06-2019, 03:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've nursed many people with it and from what I saw they suffered a lot and needed frequent draining. However I was on an acute medical ward and saw the sickest ones, I'm not sure what the quality of life for people with it is in early stages. Hope you're ok?
Old 10-06-2019, 03:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My stepson had ascites during his first of many hospitalizations. He only had to have the fluid drained once, but it was more than 1 liter as I recall. I believe it provided him with immediate relief from discomfort.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had several paracentesis procedures a few years back. It did relieve the discomfort and the bloating hasn't returned though I did go back to drinking for several years. The tricky part, as I recall, was finding a place for the needle so as not to hit any organs. I've had no lasting effect from it but have done further damage since I went back to drinking back then.
almost 5 months sober now but I still need to follow up on my general health.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 33 now. I just went for a follow-up after a week of diuretics. They haven't worked. They drew blood and I am to call them Monday morning for instructions on where to go at the hospital to be admitted. (I work the next 3 days in a row, and I don't want to leave them short, and I am trying to do this without them knowing any of my medical issues).
I'm scared.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi CRpuravida, well done on your 33 days.

I can understand you being scared anyone would be. It is good that you are getting the medical help you need. Try not to worry about work too much as you have no choice but to have the treatment. Easy to say I know.

Look after yourself and good luck for Monday.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure it's scary to be going through this. It's good that you are getting medical care. I hope things go well for you on Monday and that you get some relief. If you can, let us know how you're doing.