Notices

Hey hey! 30 Days!

Old 09-07-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey hey! 30 Days!

So I made 30 days yesterday; today is 31.

Well, I’m happy. Starting out I didn’t really think I’d make it this far. I truly believe that something has clicked in me this time and that’s the biggest reason I’m still sober. When I read things on here, it makes so much sense now. I don’t know why I didn’t understand this stuff previously... Everything is so much clearer now.

Of course, I’m still worried about slipping up. I hope I can hold out until the av really gets quiet.... maybe around 90 days? Then I hope it’ll be easier to maintain sobriety going forward. There are some challenging situations coming soon; my sister is coming to visit for a week and we’ve tended to drink a lot together in the past. I’ll have to shore up my defenses for then.

For now, though, I’m counting this as a great milestone. Thanks, SR family.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done, when you’re sister visits I wouldn’t have alcohol in the house at all, I’ve slipped many times this way, keep going 👍
Old 09-07-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way to go Lava
Old 09-07-2019, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"I have news for you, Sis. I don't drink anymore."
"Really ? !"
"Really."
"Not at all?"
"Nope."

...and it is a great milestone.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!
Old 09-07-2019, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fantastic, Lava! Enjoy how far you've come and then make a plan for how to manage things with your sister. Does she know that you've stopped drinking?
Old 09-07-2019, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lava View Post
Of course, I’m still worried about slipping up. I hope I can hold out until the av really gets quiet.... maybe around 90 days? :
🙂 I’m still worried about slipping up after eight months, and I always will be. The cravings become rarer and less intense, but they’ll always be there.

I’m not sure what your 90 day target signifies. I’m sure you’ve read enough posts on here to know it’s a lifelong thing to stay sober. It took me years to realise that, and I now know that any slip up will send me ha n to day one and those lingering urges.

But well done to you so far. Be sure to tell your sister and everyone else that you’ve quit drinking forever.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations Lava! That is wonderful. What has helped you the most getting to thirty days?
Old 09-07-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
Well done, when you’re sister visits I wouldn’t have alcohol in the house at all, I’ve slipped many times this way, keep going 👍
Unfortunately, there’s always alcohol in my house because my husband drinks. I’ve managed to stay away from it so far and I hope to continue doing so. I’ve temporarily replaced my go to alcoholic drinks for things like soda and coffee, neither of which I drank before quitting. So if I’m thirsty, for example, and don’t want water, instead of grabbing a beer, I’ll get soda... Instead of wine to ‘relax’, I’ll drink coffee... So far so good.

Thank you.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Houstin View Post
Way to go Lava
Thank you, Houstin.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ColoradoRocky View Post
"I have news for you, Sis. I don't drink anymore."
"Really ? !"
"Really."
"Not at all?"
"Nope."

...and it is a great milestone.
Thank you 😊.

I haven’t told my sister, or anyone else for that matter, that I’ve quit. I know, I know, that’s not good. It’s silly, really, but I’m afraid I’ll look a fool AGAIN if I slip up. I’m hoping to ‘tell them’ by my actions directly instead.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
Congratulations!!
Thanks a lot.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Fantastic, Lava! Enjoy how far you've come and then make a plan for how to manage things with your sister. Does she know that you've stopped drinking?
My sister doesn’t know that I’ve quit yet. Obviously I’ll tell her when she’s here but I don’t want to make a huuuge deal about it, otherwise the whole conversation will turn into one about my alcoholism, how it runs in the family, etc. Those aren’t things I wish to discuss right now.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post

I’m not sure what your 90 day target signifies. I’m sure you’ve read enough posts on here to know it’s a lifelong thing to stay sober. It took me years to realise that, and I now know that any slip up will send me ha n to day one and those lingering urges.
I’ve read here that around 90 days is when the cravings and urges really subside and one truly begins to appreciate sobriety? I’m paraphrasing. Anyway, what I hope to achieve at that point is to have stopped that voice that tells me it would be good to drink now and again. At least now I recognize it as the AV and I can challenge it and come out winning but there have been some tough times when I was quite wobbly in my conviction. For example, I can hardly stay up with my husband to watch tv anymore (after the kids are in bed) because I don’t drink and that night time/ situation is such a trigger for me. I hope to be able to do things like that comfortably again in future, without risking my sobriety.

Thank you.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Everyone’s different, but I guess by day 90 (I’m 8 months in), the cravings should be 95% gone, yes. In any case, by then and before, you’ll have a few strategies to overcome cravings.

I
Old 09-07-2019, 03:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
Congratulations Lava! That is wonderful. What has helped you the most getting to thirty days?
Thanks a lot.

I think I just got fed up with drinking. I still romanticize it sometimes but I know exactly what it is I’m dealing with. In my mind, a slip up means a full blown relapse from which I’m not sure if and when I’d recover. When the AV gets the better of me and I daydream about drinking, it’s never just a glass of wine; it’s a bottle or two, knowing fully where that would take me. I think I’m just feeling fed up with that cyclical ending; no solutions, only new problems. Plus I have 2 little children. I don’t see how alcohol (the way I like to drink it) fits in with my role in their lives. It stopped working for me; even the little I used to glean from drunkenness is gone. There’s no point anymore; I was getting nothing out of my relationship with alcohol so I had to sever ties.These realizations have kept me sober thus far.

That said, I acknowledge I need to work out a clearer and more ‘tangible’ recovery plan going forward. I’ll be working on that now. 🤗
Old 09-07-2019, 04:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober months! The best advice I got to bolster my sobriety was to practice gratitude every day. It really helps!

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 09-07-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Lava! 30 days is an awesome milestone. I think you're correct to not make a big deal of your quitting; when your sister asks, just tell her you're taking a break from alcohol-which you are-forever! Keep up the fabulous work.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Lava,
Firstly, huge congratulations on your 31 days. That is epic!

Ref, your sisters visit - as you guys have traditionally drunk together might it be an idea to manage her expectations by mentioning, even if it is just casually, that you will not be drinking before her arrival?

I am currently on holiday with my closest friends who I have drunk a lot with over the years. I am journalling my holiday on here which helps. Maybe you could do the same during your sister's visit?

Dee gave me this helpful link to surviving social situations that might be good for you too;
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...val-guide.html (Social Occasion Survival Guide)

Again massive congrats.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lava

congrats on 30 days plus.

Relapse is not mandatory

Once I could not make 3 days without a drink - but I changed, I grew and I made different choices.

Keep doing what you're doing, dismiss any thoughts that tell you drinking is a good idea and be prepared to do whatever it takes to stay in recovery - and you'll be OK

D