Notices

Hey hey! 30 Days!

Old 09-07-2019, 06:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hello much props on your 30 days . believe it when folks tell you its a milestone. It was for me that's for sure. My 30 Mark is still fresh in my head. And I'm at day 126. This sober thing is super cool. You will feel the same as well. ✌
Old 09-07-2019, 06:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good one
Old 09-13-2019, 02:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Congrats on the first of many sober months! The best advice I got to bolster my sobriety was to practice gratitude every day. It really helps!

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Thanks, least. Thank you also for always being here for all of us...

I am finding practicing gratitude very very beneficial to me. It clears the cobwebs from my eyes, so to speak, and unburdens me.

I haven't been back to this thread in a while, I'm sorry everyone. I have been too much in my head the last few days, but I'm still sober, thankfully.

Thank you all who read through and who responded. I really appreciate the support.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verdantia View Post
Congratulations, Lava! 30 days is an awesome milestone. I think you're correct to not make a big deal of your quitting; when your sister asks, just tell her you're taking a break from alcohol-which you are-forever! Keep up the fabulous work.
Thank you, V.

I feel strong in my resolve in the face of the upcoming visit. I'll definitely post here first if I get wobbly, though 😊. 🤗
Old 09-13-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lucinda2 View Post
Hi Lava,
Firstly, huge congratulations on your 31 days. That is epic!

Ref, your sisters visit - as you guys have traditionally drunk together might it be an idea to manage her expectations by mentioning, even if it is just casually, that you will not be drinking before her arrival?

I am currently on holiday with my closest friends who I have drunk a lot with over the years. I am journalling my holiday on here which helps. Maybe you could do the same during your sister's visit?

Dee gave me this helpful link to surviving social situations that might be good for you too;
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...val-guide.html (Social Occasion Survival Guide)

Again massive congrats.
Thanks, Lucinda.

I'll be reading through that survival guide and will also check out your holiday journal... I haven't come across it yet.

I went through some rather embarrassing times with family regarding my drinking about 2 years ago... Even the mention of alcoholism now in conversation with them tenses up the room, so to speak. I just want to be as 'normal' as possible. It's such a short visit too, so I want the focus to be OFF me. l'll play it like I have done with my husband for now; simply stopped drinking, not touching anything we have at home, not ordering it when we're out, and declining when offered. No explanations. I hope to 'survive' in this way.

I intend to be just a little more vocal, for sure, a little down the road; perhaps around Christmas or so? I just really want to prove to myself that I can do this first.

Unfortunately, I have been having more frequent thoughts of drinking lately. However, they are more in the grain of feeling sorry for myself that I can't 'just lose myself this once' anymore and the like. 🤦*♀️.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Lava

congrats on 30 days plus.

Relapse is not mandatory

Once I could not make 3 days without a drink - but I changed, I grew and I made different choices.

Keep doing what you're doing, dismiss any thoughts that tell you drinking is a good idea and be prepared to do whatever it takes to stay in recovery - and you'll be OK

D
Thanks, Dee.

I think I'm growing. I think I'm changing. Time will tell.

I'm definitely being very silent at the moment. Silent about my disease, silent about quitting (who would I tell, anyway, apart from you guys?), silent about how my thinking is changing... Overall, I've decided to shut up and listen for a change. I don't trust myself anymore. I don't trust my thoughts (they've proven over time to be completely off), nor my feelings... I'm questioning everything. Most importantly, though, I'm giving myself a lot of time to heal. It took a long time (about 15 years, if not more) to get into the mess I find myself in; I reckon it'll take a while to get out.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRican View Post
Hello much props on your 30 days . believe it when folks tell you its a milestone. It was for me that's for sure. My 30 Mark is still fresh in my head. And I'm at day 126. This sober thing is super cool. You will feel the same as well. ✌
Thank you, SoberRican, and congrats back at you for your now 130 plus days...? It is always refreshing to read your posts on here. 🤗. I look forward to getting to where you are.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Good one
Thanks, PJ. Big hug 🤗.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:49 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Old 09-15-2019, 12:14 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Houstin View Post
Ha ha 😁. Thanks, Houstin. 🤗
Old 09-15-2019, 03:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Congrats!!!
Old 09-15-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

I’m at 31 days too, we’re on the same timeline! Way to go!
Old 09-15-2019, 09:06 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

'grats to you too PinnacleOR

D