Notices

Full relapse

Old 08-31-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Full relapse

Well had a drink last Friday and seem to have gone off the deep end again. Thinking about jumping back into recovery as I am on day 0 again. I just have a real hard time sticking with it cause deep down I don't feel there is a point to anything in life. Was able to do it to 105 days with the fake it to you make it kind of approach but just don't see the point to anything. Having said that I think things are better sober. No hangovers or worry about what happened the night before ect. Guess it is either get sober or commit suicide. Will have some serious thinking to do when I do sober up
Old 08-31-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don’t think those are the only two options. There is a whole lot to live for and you are here, trying to get back to sobriety. Keep coming here and keep talking. If you are feeling suicidal, please go to the emergency room or call 911. They are there to help.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope you will find the courage to stop drinking. You will find that life is so different that it is hard to imagine from where you are now (and I am not a rainbows and fairies kind of person).

What I did was simple, but not easy. I just decided I was a nondrinker and that no matter what happened I would not quit that decision. My answer to myself and others when drinking comes up is, I dont drink.

What it took was for me to accept to my core that I am addicted to alcohol and there was never going to be a good outcome if I touched the stuff and that I would hurt myself and others. It is against my morals to set out to hurt anyone so that was that. And I am stubborn.

It has been a few years and I have suffered a lot of loss, money issues, huge health scares, but guess what, none of those things would have been better by adding alcohol to the mix.

I also did not stop the first time I tried, but each time I took the learnings and started again. I really hope you will too, it has not been long, cut it off now, and see where life takes you.

As Dee says, it will be all right in the end, if its not alright, its not the end.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello. And welcome. Lets give sobriety a chance to do it's thing feel me. Starting now. Amazing all this crap happening to us because of booze. I am a alcoholic in remission. Was feeling low 119 days ago when I decided to get sober. Life is good and it will be for you my friend. Stay strong ✌
Old 08-31-2019, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We're in it together, buddy. You said to me not long ago that I helped you, well you should know the feeling is mutual. Lots to live for, but you can't do it intoxicated. I should know.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll decide to get sober NB - you've had some sober time, but I'm not sure you really started to see the full benefits of recovery?

Sometimes it takes time for the dark world view we live in as addicts to vanish, sometimes we need to tackle anxiety and depression as well as not drinking, sometimes all three.

Being sober didn't solve all my problems either -but it did give me a level emotional playing field to fix those problems from.

If you really feel low, please do consider calling a crisis line.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ease-read.html

You may not feel like it today, but you do matter, man

D
Old 08-31-2019, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newbeginning421 View Post
...I just have a real hard time sticking with it cause deep down I don't feel there is a point to anything in life. ...
Actually, me believing there's no point to anything in life makes drinking the last thing on earth I want to do. Without drinking, I've been able over the years to make a nice life for myself by and large, and there must be one or two people on the planet who think I'm an okay guy and would miss me if I had drank myself to death.

So, yes, I get you: it's pointless. But that's not so bad, after all.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

NB, I’m so sorry you feel this way. My response is a lot like Dropsies.

Also, I became suicidal at times when I drank, and in early recovery days as well. It took me sustained sobriety for more than a year and a half to truly start seeing the full and consistent benefits of leading a nondrinking life. I still consider myself a work in progress in terms of my emotional sobriety. But I do not get depressed anymore even when life is hard. I do get sad, but it doesn’t last long.

I would highly recommend individual therapy with an experienced alcohol/addiction therapist if possible. Mine was a recovered alcoholic himself and was so helpful. It may be helpful to also try AA or a similar program?

Can you post here first before drinking next time? Doing this helped me a lot and prevented relapses. Connection is so important to sobriety
Old 09-02-2019, 02:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Haven't had a drink since Friday and threw out the blow yesterday but have been smoking weed . Going to stop smoking during the day and get back on track.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you stopped drinking.

The trouble with weed, or one of the problems for me, is it can make bad ideas seem good, and it also stimulated that part of my brain that liked a drink - I also got addicted to it as badly as I did alcohol so I hope you decide to stop that soon too.

D
Old 09-02-2019, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Never really had a problem with weed. Have gone year or more without it smoked once or twice then went another year or so. Obviously have to be careful but have found it helps with my bpd and recovery from gym. But yeah don't want to just sit around all day and be a pot head. Alcohol just seems too dangerous these days.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
nez

All of my relapses were full ones. I never do anything half-ass :~) Bottom line, either I am drinking or I am not drinking. The amounts and frequency don't really matter because for me it is only a matter of time. Alcohol is poison for me. To quote Yoda "Do or do not. There is no try"

It is good that you made to 105 days with a fake until you make it attitude. Have been there myself. In all honesty, it took me a while to begin to comprehend the point to anything in life, but with time I am getting clued in to the points.

I am an alcoholic, I have a "more is better" attitude, but I am learning to use that to my advantage. The more clues I get, the more clues I want. I get them in sobriety and recovery, not by drinking.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not a big fan of fake it till you make it …. although I suppose I use it from time to time.

I've been in and out of recovery more times than I care to share about. I just know that aa winner iss a looser who never stops trying and I never stop trying.

I've watched people convince there selves that they shouldn't bother trying because they drank again. That is just my low self esteem taking me toward another drink. Just because my mind says something doesn't mean it's true.

get up, get up again, and repeat as long as necessary to reach sobriety.

Ananda
Old 09-02-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well had a drink last Friday and seem to have gone off the deep end again. Thinking about jumping back into recovery as I am on day 0 again. I just have a real hard time sticking with it cause deep down I don't feel there is a point to anything in life. Was able to do it to 105 days with the fake it to you make it kind of approach but just don't see the point to anything. Having said that I think things are better sober. No hangovers or worry about what happened the night before ect. Guess it is either get sober or commit suicide. Will have some serious thinking to do when I do sober up
I’ve definitely contemplated suicide. Instead I just kept drinking and drinking until finally, quitting drinking wasn’t as hard as the 1,000 times I tried to quit before. When you ache enough, when you’re ashamed enough, when drinking no longer feels like an escape, there you will find what you need to put it down for good.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ananda1 View Post
I'm not a big fan of fake it till you make it …. although I suppose I use it from time to time.

I've been in and out of recovery more times than I care to share about. I just know that aa winner iss a looser who never stops trying and I never stop trying.

I've watched people convince there selves that they shouldn't bother trying because they drank again. That is just my low self esteem taking me toward another drink. Just because my mind says something doesn't mean it's true.

get up, get up again, and repeat as long as necessary to reach sobriety.

Ananda
Well when I said fake it to you make it meant it try to believe there is a point to anything while deep down I have a hard time believing in anything.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Haven't had a drink since Friday and threw out the blow yesterday but have been smoking weed . Going to stop smoking during the day and get back on track.
And yeah dude, if you’re tooting too, of course you feel suicidal. Coming down off of blow was the WORST farking feeling in the world.

About that feeling of what’s the point. I can really relate. Life can be pretty boring without the intense highs of our highs followed by our lows the next day. But have you noticed the lows keep getting lower? Mine sure did. Until they were just so low that even being wasted wasn’t that fun. I’ve noticed that being busy helps my recovery a lot. I used to feel like I had no time to do anything. But lately I’ve been going to 2-3 AA Meetings per week, 3 court ordered classes and volunteering (court ordered volunteering that is) 12 hours on the weekend. It keeps me productive and out of my head. I’ve actually liked volunteering so much that when it’s done I’m going to get a part time job to fill up some of my time. Not because I need the money. Because I need to be active. When I am idle, stuff gets pretty bad.

Most of us alcoholics and and drug addicts are more intelligent than your average person. We have active minds. And all of our use and the fact we never developed good coping skills or positive self esteem contribute to a lot of negative self talk and a lot of counter productive thinking. So for me, staying busy has been something that has been really helping in my recovery. Maybe that could help you. I dunno.

And remember, alcohol is not the problem. It’s a symptom. Find something that makes You happy and do it. It doesn’t have to be like “HOLY CRAP, I love to do (pick an activity), I’m going to throw my life into it”. I still am not sure what I like. But just keep your eyes open for opportunities. Try something different than what you’ve been doing. Call an old friend you’ve been to embarrassed to call. If you haven’t exercised, do that. Try cooking. Find something to do every day that you can accomplish. For me, it’s been baby steps. And I’ve been trending up. Best wishes.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Being to active led to my relapse took on too much at once. Just have to lay of the alcohol and sure things will turn around. Was aware of HALT but thought I could push myself and pushed myself too far and blew out. Probably will be feeling better over the next week
Old 09-02-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Being to active led to my relapse took on too much at once. Just have to lay of the alcohol and sure things will turn around. Was aware of HALT but thought I could push myself and pushed myself too far and blew out. Probably will be feeling better over the next week
Being too active or not being active enough doesn’t really lead me to drink. It’s the void inside of me, my inability to deal with regular life sober is what leads me to drink. I have to ask for a lot of help daily from my sponsor, and friends and God to stay sober. Keeping active just keeps me out of being in my head too

I don’t doubt you can put the bottle down. You did it for 100+ days (which is amazing). Your challenge might be how to live life sober. That’s the challenge for me. That’s where you might look to make changes to avoid falling down again.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Relapse can happen to anyone it happened to me last week with bitter consequences.

The most important thing is to stop drinking straight away. The fact you had 105 days should make it a bit easier to come off the drink after a couple of days.

Remorse and guilt will do know good getting sober will. Good luck friend.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post

Being too active or not being active enough doesn’t really lead me to drink. It’s the void inside of me, my inability to deal with regular life sober is what leads me to drink. I have to ask for a lot of help daily from my sponsor, and friends and God to stay sober. Keeping active just keeps me out of being in my head too

I don’t doubt you can put the bottle down. You did it for 100+ days (which is amazing). Your challenge might be how to live life sober. That’s the challenge for me. That’s where you might look to make changes to avoid falling down again.
Tiredness and mental exhaustion tends to make me bad decisions. At this point cleaning up the mess of the past years is not easy. Especially doing it alone. Also recovering from BPD at the same time which is obviously not easy