Notices

The nature of my disease - a rambling

Old 08-30-2019, 10:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The nature of my disease - a rambling

I read a great post tonight where someone that is in recovery was talking to a friend and that friend was talking about another alcoholic they know and how “bad” they were. That person then apologized for comparing the two. When people compare me to other alcoholics or tell stories like that it never bothers me. I was so far and away worse than almost any story anyone can tell me I’m typically like, “are you sure that person was an alcoholic?” Lol. Like, did they almost die? (I have a bad habit of joking to myself that most alcoholics aren’t even alcoholics unless they waited at the liquor store for it to open - but I digress).

Alcoholics like me can’t even typically tell our truths to normal people because people will either a) think you’re making it up or b) shock them to their core.

My sponsor always says, “alcoholics like us scare the **** out of people”. And it’s true. Not like I ever killed anyone, and I have a great job, money in the bank and fantastic kids. It’s just that we put ourselves through such obvious hell, such blatantly negative consequences, such tragic circumstances with almost zero apparent benefit that we appear to be two completely separate people. Like how can we be so engaging, aware, intelligent and still be so foolish, sociopathic and psychotic? How and why do we persevere for so long on an obviously hopeless road? How can we walk and talk like a normal human and then nightly dig a deeper and deeper hole to crawl into, only to crawl out the next day and repeat? I think it is so disturbing because we are the true face of addiction. When there remains no rationale to our behavior. When a sane and non addict individual can no long tie any of our actions to anything logical or coherent. Almost like someone who is possessed by an evil spirit. It bewilders people and disturbs them. We are naturally fearful of that which we don’t understand. It’s no wonder so many of us end up isolated. Addiction is truly a marvel. Body chemicals, brain chemicals, genetics, circumstances, psychology, learning, pain, tolerance, spirituality, fear, guilt, shame, powerlessness...so many aspects. Such a labyrinth. No wonder we get stuck...
Old 08-30-2019, 10:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very eloquently and succinctly put.
I scared people when I was drinking, before I isolated and drank alone, and I scare people sober.
Very intelligent of you and your sponsor to realize this phenomena.
I get what you're saying completely, and I must say, it's one of the better posts I've read here. Probably because I see myself in it so much.
And, yeah, I'm a real alcoholic. I waited in the line of misery for the liquor store to open. Even ran a tab. The store owner worried about me, but I digress.

Great post. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, when the taxi drivers who drive you home at night after a party sit and wait outside your house to make sure you are ok.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
When a sane and non addict individual can no long tie any of our actions to anything logical or coherent. Almost like someone who is possessed by an evil spirit. It bewilders people and disturbs them. We are naturally fearful of that which we don’t understand. It’s no wonder so many of us end up isolated.
Well said, thanks for posting that. I think from the non-addict's point of view, just my opinion from what I have seen, it's not so much fear as destruction. The focus in the relationship/family becomes the drinker and the drink. The mood swings, the anger, the lies the hiding the lack of accountability. I won't go on, but, at some point the alcoholic's actions affect everyone in that family. How much probably won't come out until later.

For the other family members it's a matter of self protection to get away and get out, to detach.

After being in the tornado, everyone needs healing.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Very eloquently and succinctly put.
I scared people when I was drinking, before I isolated and drank alone, and I scare people sober.
Very intelligent of you and your sponsor to realize this phenomena.
I get what you're saying completely, and I must say, it's one of the better posts I've read here. Probably because I see myself in it so much.
And, yeah, I'm a real alcoholic. I waited in the line of misery for the liquor store to open. Even ran a tab. The store owner worried about me, but I digress.

Great post. Thanks.
Thank you. I get it, scaring people sober. We are forces of nature. For better or worse. We’ve been forged by fire. The tiny things in life shake me relentlessly, but I skip past the major issues. The insane dichotomy. And my sponsor is like no human I’ve ever met. We are so different but so alike. His story makes me look like a teetotaler, but he is so wise. Far from perfect (and honestly he’s in the middle of a manic episode, so I’m actually there for him more lately) but he’s just a spiritual savant.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
Yes, when the taxi drivers who drive you home at night after a party sit and wait outside your house to make sure you are ok.
Yep, by outward appearances we should be dead, but if you’re dumb, you gotta be tough.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Well said, thanks for posting that. I think from the non-addict's point of view, just my opinion from what I have seen, it's not so much fear as destruction. The focus in the relationship/family becomes the drinker and the drink. The mood swings, the anger, the lies the hiding the lack of accountability. I won't go on, but, at some point the alcoholic's actions affect everyone in that family. How much probably won't come out until later.

For the other family members it's a matter of self protection to get away and get out, to detach.

After being in the tornado, everyone needs healing.
Agreed about self protection. I’ve had so many people run from me. Which is exactly what they should have done. I hurt people, that’s what I do (or did). When I would meet a new girl, my own friends would plead with me, “please don’t destroy her”. Pretty sad. And guess what I did...yeah.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Agree one hundred percent and I will add that if life was FAIR, we would be dead. The horrors we put ourselves will never be understood by someone who isn't an alcoholic.

I feel lucky to have come to the other side/
Old 08-31-2019, 01:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Very well put. My friend. You know the saying you want to see an instant A hole give me tequila. ..i mean we arw not bad people. In my case I have that allergy they talk about in the big book. Thats why I have to be on point with my recovery. I am one drink away from going into self destruct mode. And that my friend is scary for me. I honestly believe my higher said. "It is time" that was 119 days ago. ✌
Old 08-31-2019, 02:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This resonates too much, especially others not being able to figure out why a seemingly normal person would do such things.

The process of continually drinking to excess is mad in itself, but I'm more and more convinced I'm temporarily insane when very intoxicated too! The whole booze thing is like a flaming kraken trying to suck you under, and it's more luck than judgement that we're here in one piece today. I recently slipped and realise I don't even get that much out of a kick of it anymore too. Roll on safety, security and sanity!
Old 08-31-2019, 03:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Love this post so much BetterMan - the comments too.

It resonates so much with me. And, one quick addition - sometimes even another alcoholic's behavior is baffling, or just contradictory. My husband is in recovery, and we are so different in our alcoholism. Yet, the same.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ramble on. Sometimes there is a lot of helpful insight in such ramblings. Everything you said resonated with me in some way.

When I look at other alcoholics, I feel a certain sense of pity, but when I see those things in myself, it's something far worse than pity. When it's us doing the suffering and self destruction, it takes on an intensely nightmarish quality.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ha! Thanks.

Normal people don't notice how much we care about drinking, and when they do it's puzzling.

And on the other side of the coin when I was drinking I was astonished, I mean astonished beyond belief, shaken to the core, when a normal friend of mine told me he forgot to go to the liquor store on the way home last night and his wife was a little annoyed because they had no wine for their guests.

Hell, after work my car drove me to the liquor store for a bottle of anisetta for the ride home, and this was forty years before self-driving cars.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I appreciate your honest BABM - I have posted a link to this thread in the F&F of alcoholics forum, hope you don't mind.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I appreciate your honest BABM - I have posted a link to this thread in the F&F of alcoholics forum, hope you don't mind.
Oh not at all. That’s pretty cool.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great thread..... so much insight by all of you...

I am an Alanon with a family of origin that alcoholism didn’t just run in the family it flowed like Niagara Falls! All my qualifiers all died in thier addiction and they... like you... were real alcoholics. How did I dodge the genetic bullet? A mystery... but I totally get the complication of this disease.... and thank God I was spared because I am a hot mess being a normie!

so now I tell people... live for Jack.. he was my brother. He didn’t make it.... but keep fighting the good fight. Keep living an authentic program being real to self and others.... trusting your HP and listening for the voice that will keep you on the path.

Live for Jack... Sr and Jr. That’s my message of experience, strength and hope!
Old 09-01-2019, 01:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
I read a great post tonight where someone that is in recovery was talking to a friend and that friend was talking about another alcoholic they know and how “bad” they were. That person then apologized for comparing the two. When people compare me to other alcoholics or tell stories like that it never bothers me. I was so far and away worse than almost any story anyone can tell me I’m typically like, “are you sure that person was an alcoholic?” Lol. Like, did they almost die? (I have a bad habit of joking to myself that most alcoholics aren’t even alcoholics unless they waited at the liquor store for it to open - but I digress).

Alcoholics like me can’t even typically tell our truths to normal people because people will either a) think you’re making it up or b) shock them to their core.

My sponsor always says, “alcoholics like us scare the **** out of people”. And it’s true. Not like I ever killed anyone, and I have a great job, money in the bank and fantastic kids. It’s just that we put ourselves through such obvious hell, such blatantly negative consequences, such tragic circumstances with almost zero apparent benefit that we appear to be two completely separate people. Like how can we be so engaging, aware, intelligent and still be so foolish, sociopathic and psychotic? How and why do we persevere for so long on an obviously hopeless road? How can we walk and talk like a normal human and then nightly dig a deeper and deeper hole to crawl into, only to crawl out the next day and repeat? I think it is so disturbing because we are the true face of addiction. When there remains no rationale to our behavior. When a sane and non addict individual can no long tie any of our actions to anything logical or coherent. Almost like someone who is possessed by an evil spirit. It bewilders people and disturbs them. We are naturally fearful of that which we don’t understand. It’s no wonder so many of us end up isolated. Addiction is truly a marvel. Body chemicals, brain chemicals, genetics, circumstances, psychology, learning, pain, tolerance, spirituality, fear, guilt, shame, powerlessness...so many aspects. Such a labyrinth. No wonder we get stuck...
Addiction is amazing. One of my recent journal entries was basically about the fact that all addicts and alcoholics share one common trait....our addiction. That's where the similarities stop. We are all so very unique with our struggles. I've heard 'one-uppers' who basically try to argue that their rock bottom was lower and rockier than yours.

There's so many variables to addiction and alcoholism that it absolutely fascinates me.

Natom
Old 09-01-2019, 02:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
What taxi I passed out in the gutter!

Great thread betterman
Old 09-01-2019, 05:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
What taxi I passed out in the gutter!

Great thread betterman
Yep, I was awoken by cops because I passed out in the gutter at 3am. The cops had received a call about a dead body. My mother would be so proud...
Old 09-01-2019, 05:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My drinking was such that I'd drink a 750 mL bottle of vodka in a single night.

It scares me how much I could down and pretend to be normal. But the come down - there was no pretending there. I couldn't hide wanting to kill myself because I was so depressed - nor could I stop dry heaving. I'm amazed I never had a seizure.