On My Pinterest Feed This Morning

Old 08-04-2019, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On My Pinterest Feed This Morning

As I sit here, stewing that AH is drinking before we go to church....

Advice that we see here time and time again, yet I need it hammered into my skull, so I am posting it:

Get out or hang up.
Your partner can’t verbally abuse you if you are not around to be their punching bag. Leave the room. Walk away or hang up the phone. Respectfully. No yelling, slamming doors, or shaming (I know… it’s hard).

Don’t try to solve his issues.
This disease is cunning and strong. You will lose. The only one who stands a chance of taking this disease down is your loved one. Let him or her fight their own battles.

Don’t engage in a fight.
Your attention feeds this disease. If you weren’t there to nag or argue, your partner would be left with his or her depressing thoughts. And that feeling cannot be good. You will no longer become the scapegoat for those shameful feelings.

Surrender it all to God.
Give it all to Him because He is willing to take it on. Close your eyes and imagine giving all your problems, anxiety, and anger away. Do this every day and every time you need to, trusting that God will make all things right. Repeat “I surrender” over and over. You can even sing that hymn: “I Surrender All

From this website: Love or Addiction

Last edited by Seren; 08-05-2019 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Link removed, SR Rule 1
Old 08-04-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i hope you are not going to take an already drinking person WITH you to church??
Old 08-04-2019, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I am thinking that Church is not only for the pretty and the perfect and the healed....those that are wrapped in a thick covering of piety and sanctimony.....
But...should, also, be a place for the downtrodden...the broken...the forsaken...those who are hurting and imperfect.....
Old 08-04-2019, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

my mother used to take a drink in the car with her when she went to church - she wasn't going for the message - she was going to appear to still be a pious whatever.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I certainly wasn't going to tell him I didn't want him to come to church with me, though I wasn't happy he was drinking. He even tried picking a fight on the way to church, but I didn't take the bait. I think Jesus is willing to meet us where we are....even if that means tipsy in church. We sang a few songs that I feel were appropriate...."Chain Breaker" being one of them. I guess I'd rather him be at church, getting some kind of message, than him sitting at home and getting drunker.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hopeful

That is such an awesome post. Thank you so much for sharing it. It spoke straight to my heart.