Living with the Dominator

Old 07-25-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Living with the Dominator

Apologies if this has already been made a thread anywhere here and I’ve missed it, but I thought it too good not to share.

yesterday I rang the UK Women’s Aid hotline. As I was advised to many many times but obviously as i “wasn’t being abused” I didn’t need to did I? A solicitor I spoke to advised me to ring them about getting assessed for legal aid to help me with divorce costs. The advisor was amazing. She listened to me and told me of something called “The Freedom Programme” run by Women’s Aid. It’s to help us ladies that have been in an abusive relationship learn to trust the early red flags. I ignored them all. I googled it last night. It’s based on a book called “Living with the Dominator” which I have ordered straight away. It’s in Amazon. This excerpt I read about the EARLY warning signs of an abusive man - had me just reading open mouthed and going “omg omg that’s him! THAT is my AH!!”

He is The Bully, The Bad Father, The Jailer, The King of the Castle and the Persuader. Wow. Just ... wow. I hope I can get on the 11 week programme as I think it’s essential for me. I’ve now been in two abusive marriages!!

I will copy this here in the hope that someone else might find it useful.

Therefore, if you are just embarking on a new relationship, watch out for these signs. They aren’t definitive; a Dominator will do these behaviours in the early stages of a relationship, but will always have a pre-set agenda, which is to gain power and control over us. Where as a decent human being may do some of the above behaviours, but there is no pre-set agenda to gain power and control over us.

If all of this is too confusing, just listen to your family and friends and most importantly listen to your instincts, if something is said or done that makes you feel uncomfortable – remove yourself from the situation and reflect on it. There will be a reason your gut feeling is prompting your thoughts – it’s your instincts.

EARLY BULLY
May go quiet for a short time ie sulk, but give no explanation. May stare or glare with a bully smile; mouth smiling, eyes cold. May be aggressive to others, or bully staff in shops, bars, restaurants etc. Watch out for impatient body language such as, finger tapping, foot swinging, sighing – again without explanation. If we express an opinion the bully doesn’t agree with, will not let it go, unless we change our opinion and agree with them. May declare early in the relationship, ‘would never hit a woman’. If that were the case, we would the need to mention it at all?

EARLY JAILER
These are hard to spot without having had the full training or attending a Freedom Programme group. As they can appear to be romantic gestures, such as; insists on dropping us off when we go out without them eg work, school, college, groups or social events, visiting friends etc. Can come on too strong too soon, wanting to see us every day. May buy us a mobile phone, again, too soon in the relationship. Will telephone or text too much, even when they know we’re busy. Can quiz us with a suspiscious ‘humour’ as to where we’ve been and with who. Calls round unannounced especially late in the evening. Often wont like our friends and could sow seeds of doubt in our minds by asking, “how well do you know ……?” if we ask as to why they ask, may reply, “no reason”. Tells us we don’t need to work/study. Try’s to monopolise our time. May plan a surprise special evening for us on a night when they know we usually are busy that night.

EARLY HEADWORKER
Will use sexist jokes, may also use homophobic or racist jokes too. Tends to not use our name, gives us a ‘pet’ name. Puts us down in front of others. Makes sexist remarks about women in general, will also criticise other women in front of us. Will praise others that they feel are attractive, may even ask why we don’t look like ……. Is disrespectful, will be patronising. Gives back-handed ‘compliments’ such as, “you’d look great if you lost some weight”.

EARLY PERSUADER
Will try to make us feel sorry for them, such as; terrible previous relationship, bad childhood, not happy with current accommodation etc. May give a list of health needs that stop them from doing certain things – at their convenience. Will persuade us to do things, change plans, go outside our comfort zone, wear clothes or act in a way we don’t feel comfortable to.

EARLY LIAR
Will undoubtedly have a sob story about their failed relationship. Will accept no element of responsibility for any of this and will blame former partner. May tell us they have low self esteem, or is insecure.

EARLY BADFATHER
[Doesnt need to be biological parent] Will use the children to control us, possibly by suggesting we parent them differently, may step into the role without even discussing. Could make themselves indispensable especially in the early days, buying gifts, offering to watch the kids, may give financial support.

EARLY KING OF THE CASTLE
Will begin to choose our clothes or image, in a very subtle way. Suggests moving in too soon, will start to leave some of their possessions at ours. Very subtly and gradually the King Of The Castle will get us doing all domestic chores in a variety of ways, such as, burning the dinner, picking up the wrong items at the shop, makes a song and dance about any contribution they make and expects acknowledgement and gratitude for it. If they come food shopping with us may take items we have put in the basket out and replace them with their preference, stating their choice is better. May do lots of domestic chores and perpetually tell us how we don’t do the job properly.

EARLY SEXUAL CONTROLLER
Again suggests moving in too early, could suggest we do things or participate in things we don’t feel comfortable to do. No communication with us during sexual acts, which will dissipate over time. Takes no responsibility for contraception, may grope us in public.

Check out this link for more info

http://www.hiddenhurt.co.uk/the_dominator.html

Old 07-25-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

RainingButtons…..thank you for this post!
Old 07-25-2019, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for posting, RainingButtons! Those signs were all there for my ex husband, but I was too young (22), stupid, and dysfunctional to see them. Thankfully I wisened up just shy of 3 years in. Yes, ladies (and sometimes gentlemen): If you see any of the above behaviors, RUN! RUN LIKE THE WIND!
Old 07-25-2019, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh wow RB. So so glad you found this!!

It seems like you have been stuck in a miserable maze. It sounds like this organization has walked other individuals out of the maze.

Please let us know how it goes.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Raining Buttons' post should be made a stickie!
Old 07-25-2019, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very glad to hear that you were able to get this support and validation!
Old 07-27-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is all good stuff, I think you will help a lot of people by posting it.

I’m really glad for you that you are starting to really see the light on your AH. You owe him NOTHING. You have already done and given so very much. It’s time for you and your children now.

I’m so glad you reached out for help and it’s coming to you!
Old 07-29-2019, 08:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow. Just wow.

Thank you for sharing this. Huge hugs and strength to you friend!