Promises

Old 07-17-2019, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Promises

He’s promising to be committed to his sobriety. He will do whatever it takes he says. I say until it calls again. He says that’s always a risk. He says if you’re moving ahead with the divorce I’m not sticking around tho. I say get divorced work on your addiction see what happens. He says not sticking around in a divorce situation. I say ok. He continued but I’ll do whatever! I’ve hit rock bottom. I just don’t believe him this time.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Words. Totally meaningless.

So his logic is that you stop the divorce or he’s leaving?

Does this make any sense to you?

At some point you’re going to decide what you’re going to do, And then stop letting him yammer at you, because it just keeps you stuck, yes?
Old 07-17-2019, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Words. Totally meaningless.

So his logic is that you stop the divorce or he’s leaving?

Does this make any sense to you?

At some point you’re going to decide what you’re going to do, And then stop letting him yammer at you, because it just keeps you stuck, yes?
yes. I’m moving forward with it. He’s preparing to leave. He is entering treatment tomorrow. Or so he says. I hope for his sake it works.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dazed.....the only thing you can do is watch the Actions (not words)...over time.
time will tell...…
I can still remember my dear grandma's words...a gazillion times...when I would ask her how something was going to turn out....she would always say "Only time will tell".....
Old 07-17-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Dazed.....the only thing you can do is watch the Actions (not words)...over time.
time will tell...…
I can still remember my dear grandma's words...a gazillion times...when I would ask her how something was going to turn out....she would always say "Only time will tell".....
wise woman dandelion.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

he magically has a place in rehab TOMORROW?

he can say whatever he wants, and he will try to say anything to get you to stop talking about drinking. the proof is in the pudding, as they say.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
he magically has a place in rehab TOMORROW?

he can say whatever he wants, and he will try to say anything to get you to stop talking about drinking. the proof is in the pudding, as they say.
chocolate is my favorite pudding. 😀 He is really nervous now. I’m not falling for his scare tactics, abandonment issue buttons, or bully tactics. His own family doesn’t want him living with them. He still has a job, miraculously, and says he needs to raise enough cash to get his own place. It’s scaring the bejesus out of him....I’m not budging on the divorce....but still no rock bottom. I can see it. The defiance, the denial is still there. He knows his walking papers are coming....
Old 07-17-2019, 07:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hopefully you now see that NOTHING you do has the power to effect CHANGE in him? tis best to just concern your self with YOUR plans and then follow thru with them.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hopefully you now see that NOTHING you do has the power to effect CHANGE in him? tis best to just concern your self with YOUR plans and then follow thru with them.
indeed. This is so bizarre. Seeing him as he really is turns my stomach.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Does he get out of the house in the next few days? How are your own plans/activities/support coming along.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Does he get out of the house in the next few days? How are your own plans/activities/support coming along.
I’m trying to be as much no contact as possible. If I have to leave again I will. He will be in treatment for about 10 days to save his job. I will be firming up stuff with the lawyer and going about my business. It comes and goes in waves....I’m strong tonite. He asked to come to bed with me. Firm no on that one. We will see how tomorrow goes. Odaat
Old 07-17-2019, 09:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thinking I might extend his time to stay until the divorce is final so I can keep an eye on the keys if he goes off the deep end. That would be a few months. Cheap price to pay to protect society I think.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Um...really? Six more months of arguments, tears, monitoring his drunk level, hiding his keys, useless calls to police, waking up to vomiting, dealing with him walking to the store wearing nothing but his shoes?

Are you maybe conning yourself just a tad?

Old 07-17-2019, 11:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Um...really? Six more months of arguments, tears, monitoring his drunk level, hiding his keys, useless calls to police, waking up to vomiting, dealing with him walking to the store wearing nothing but his shoes?

Are you maybe conning yourself just a tad?

yes I am. He decided to leave in 2 weeks. Just like that. Poof. Gone. Not man enough to stand and face what he’s done.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My XAH made the same promises over and over. He acted all shocked when I actually divorced him.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

please remember, he has SAID about 32 different things in the past few days. try not to take each and every word out of his mouth as god's truth.

was your motive in filing for divorce to end the marital contract and be done OR was it a maneuver made in hopes it would get him to change?
Old 07-18-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

please remember, he has SAID about 32 different things in the past few days. try not to take each and every word out of his mouth as god's truth.

was your motive in filing for divorce to end the marital contract and be done OR was it a maneuver made in hopes it would get him to change?
to be honest a little of both leaning more towards protecting myself. My A is really the best guy. I just can’t go thru the Alcoholic episodes anymore. It’s absolute madness, as you all know.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
My XAH made the same promises over and over. He acted all shocked when I actually divorced him.
that’s laughable. I think mine will be shocked as well.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dazedandconfus View Post

to be honest a little of both leaning more towards protecting myself. My A is really the best guy. I just can’t go thru the Alcoholic episodes anymore. It’s absolute madness, as you all know.
Sigh , , , ,I get that. I don't think we easily give up our idea that we can influence them . . . . I sure didn't. My qualifier actually managed to get sober and stay sober years after I left. I want to believe that my leaving helped him hit bottom faster and then get sober but that is probably codependent thinking in itself.

Dazed, I can't remember if someone here has told you about "Gray Rock". It is a method of dealing with narcissists but people use it on alcoholics too. It might be worth a look.