Divorce

Old 07-07-2019, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Divorce

I’m the one who filed for divorce and he’s acting like he’s the one who wants out. He’s the one leaving me. He says “well things change” in reference to our marriage and his commitment. What a lunatic. I’m the stupid one buying in to it. This is a nightmare
Old 07-07-2019, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mind me asking is it due to boozing among other things as well?
Old 07-07-2019, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRican View Post
Mind me asking is it due to boozing among other things as well?
definitely boozing. That’s why I filed. He says things change because he has grandchildren now. He says he wants to be there for them. That he is torn that’s why he’s drinking. So why was he drinking before the grandkids? In his first marriage? Before they were born? I’m not buying it
Old 07-07-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dazed...you are right...he is drinking because he is an alcoholic.
Alcoholics always have "reasons" to give for their drinking...that have nothing to do with them.....They drink because it is a new job, or Halloween, or because their wife has PMS, or because they need a new carborator, or, it is the cat's birthday....
Old 07-07-2019, 06:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry but I had to laugh at 'things change', I got that one after EXAH was removed by the police and I filed for separation he waylaid me at day care with the 'things change', speech. Like it was his choice we had split and he had a new gf.

It's not about you. It's about validating their drinking. He's drinking.. Nothing can come in his way if his drinking but in his mind it's not a problem. He just needs the whole universe to flip flop to support this illusion.

He's OK... He doesn't have a problem. Everybody else has a problem and he'll change his life narrative to support this.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

They drink because it is a new job, or Halloween, or because their wife has PMS, or because they need a new carborator, or, it is the cat's birthday....
or b/c the cat has PMS, or it's the carburetor's birthday...the one thing you CAN be sure of is that it is not a single thing to do with you and anything you've done/thought/felt/said/etc.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Dazedandconfus View Post
He says things change because he has grandchildren now. He says he wants to be there for them. That he is torn that’s why he’s drinking.
I burst out laughing when I read this. You hear a lot of convoluted logic on this forum, but this is in the top tier.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
or b/c the cat has PMS, or it's the carburetor's birthday...the one thing you CAN be sure of is that it is not a single thing to do with you and anything you've done/thought/felt/said/etc.
lol - now that made me laugh. Although who doesn't like a good carburetor party.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’m the stupid one buying in to it. This is a nightmare
You're not stupid Dazedandconfused. He is talking in quacks as it's called around here or word salad as it's also known (ie: nonsense).

That's another really difficult part of alcoholism I think. You have a person right in front of you, for all intents speaking coherently and yet what they are saying makes NO sense.

Our minds have trouble computing this stuff I believe. We aren't used to being told - rubbish, we are used to having fairly logical conversations with pretty logical people. It doesn't come naturally to most I don't think to automatically listen to something and go hmm, ok that was meaningless.

It takes practice and it sounds like you are getting a lot of it. I'm sorry for that because I know it's hurtful to you.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You're not stupid, Dazed, you filed for divorce. In doing so, you are displaying a LOT of courage.
You just need support to follow through with things. We are here to help.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
lol - now that made me laugh. Although who doesn't like a good carburetor party.
carburetor party! Lol!
Old 07-08-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eauchiche View Post
You're not stupid, Dazed, you filed for divorce. In doing so, you are displaying a LOT of courage.
You just need support to follow through with things. We are here to help.
thank you. I need the support right now .
Old 07-08-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stop listening to anything that comes out of his mouth. Actions only. Move forward and get the peace you deserve. No one will ever figure out a "why" with an addict. It just is.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My view is actions speak louder than words. Till then my suggestion is proceed with what you got to do. Dicorce etc. Fix yourself get situated . humble yourself. You need it. Pray......it works. Iwndwyt
Old 07-08-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you
Old 07-08-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I’m the one who filed for divorce and he’s acting like he’s the one who wants out.
Wellllll. that will smooth the process along, won't it?