Transport a drunk man

Old 07-05-2019, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Transport a drunk man

anyone have any ideas how to transport this drunk man 2000 miles back to his family? No one is willing to drive him back there and it’s illegal to fly drunk. Any suggestions?
Old 07-05-2019, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Uber
Old 07-05-2019, 10:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hire a sober coach to fly w/him and basically babysit him.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

bus?
Old 07-05-2019, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Hire a sober coach to fly w/him and basically babysit him.
what’s a sober coach?
Old 07-05-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

what makes you think his family wants him back?

you could wait til he's sober, hand him a bus ticket, and there is still no guarantee he won't show back up on your doorstep.

i guess you could look at why you feel responsible for his travel and destination.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, why do you feel responsible for getting him somewhere?
Old 07-05-2019, 11:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A sober coach is normally utilized for people who are wanting to stay sober. They work closely with the person, sometimes actually staying w/them 24/7 and talking them through. However, for someone who has no interest in being sober, it really would more so be just hiring someone to stay w/him and keep him sober until arriving at the destination. I presume family 2000 miles away has agreed to take him on? Will they not assist?

The cost would be a lot, but I would also think be well worth it to get him 2000 miles away.

Hugs.

Originally Posted by Dazedandconfus View Post

what’s a sober coach?
Old 07-05-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Yes, why do you feel responsible for getting him somewhere?
because he can’t stay here. Because his family won’t help. Because I don’t want him here during the 6 month waiting period for final divorce decree. Because I don’t want him driving and putting me at possible liability.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

you might need to take some type of legal action to get him out of the house if he won't go willingly. nor can you really FORCE an adult to travel thousands of miles away to become somebody else's problem against their will. i suggest you discuss options with an attorney before making any sudden/rash decisions.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
what makes you think his family wants him back?

you could wait til he's sober, hand him a bus ticket, and there is still no guarantee he won't show back up on your doorstep.

i guess you could look at why you feel responsible for his travel and destination.
once divorce papers are signed and filed, there will be a restraining order in place
Old 07-05-2019, 01:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
you might need to take some type of legal action to get him out of the house if he won't go willingly. nor can you really FORCE an adult to travel thousands of miles away to become somebody else's problem against their will. i suggest you discuss options with an attorney before making any sudden/rash decisions.
yes, that’s it. I will on Monday.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yes, his family never let us live our own lives. They were constantly involved, insisting him to be involved with their lives even tho he was 2000 miles away. It was a constant struggle for him; he felt torn apart a lot. They never let go. It’s been a struggle at times to have our own lives. It was about them. His mother his sister, they don’t have a life of their own. It was always What they were doing, how they felt, what they wanted. He cries now. Saying it’s so unfair to me. But, he chooses them over our marriage. What a lie and waste of 20 years.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How can he just drink his life down the tubes after re-building it? All that work and effort! He’s right back to where I found him. Jobless, homeless, and drinking. If he wanted out of our marriage so badly, he didn’t have to do all this. He could have just told me. I am so dazed and confused. After all this, comes time to enjoy the fruits of our labor and he burns it all down. 😢
Old 07-07-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life is good

Alcoholism is a progressive, chronic illogical disease. It also affects us, the friends and family members in many ways.

Al-Anon and Celebrate Recovery are a couple of programs that help with healing, education and in-person support.

https://www.al-anon.org/
Old 07-07-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How can he just drink his life down the tubes after re-building it? All that work and effort! He’s right back to where I found him. Jobless, homeless, and drinking. If he wanted out of our marriage so badly, he didn’t have to do all this. He could have just told me. I am so dazed and confused. After all this, comes time to enjoy the fruits of our labor and he burns it all down. 😢
Maybe ask why not, not "why". He is an alcoholic. The drive to drink is tremendous. Once he gets started it's very hard to stop.

If he were thinking in some kind of rational fashion, maybe this wouldn't be happening. That's not the case though. The only thing to do is accept it. Until he wants help, no one can force him to do anything really.

That's why you need to focus on yourself. Give yourself the love, care and attention you were probably giving him. It's very hurtful for sure but again, until he wants help, nothing to be done about it.

Remember he's not drinking "at" you, he's just drinking. He's not thinking about burning down what you both have worked for, he's thinking about his next drink.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Maybe ask why not, not "why". He is an alcoholic. The drive to drink is tremendous. Once he gets started it's very hard to stop.

If he were thinking in some kind of rational fashion, maybe this wouldn't be happening. That's not the case though. The only thing to do is accept it. Until he wants help, no one can force him to do anything really.

That's why you need to focus on yourself. Give yourself the love, care and attention you were probably giving him. It's very hurtful for sure but again, until he wants help, nothing to be done about it.

Remember he's not drinking "at" you, he's just drinking. He's not thinking about burning down what you both have worked for, he's thinking about his next drink.
thank you for reminder. He’s coming out of it now. His words? “I’m sorry honey”. After all this madness destroying his life, our marriage, his job, he says I’m sorry!!! He didn’t say, I will do whatever it takes to stop this. I’ll get help. We worked so hard...nothing. Simply, “I’m sorry”. Good lord this hurts.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

thank you for reminder. He’s coming out of it now. His words? “I’m sorry honey”. After all this madness destroying his life, our marriage, his job, he says I’m sorry!!! He didn’t say, I will do whatever it takes to stop this. I’ll get help. We worked so hard...nothing. Simply, “I’m sorry”. Good lord this hurts.
I had no idea of the depth of this addiction. Nothing else matters... what a curse.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If he's coming out of it, maybe this is a good time to get him on the train or whatever to his family. Plane bad choice because if he drinks, really bad things can happen.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
If he's coming out of it, maybe this is a good time to get him on the train or whatever to his family. Plane bad choice because if he drinks, really bad things can happen.
yes, working on it.