Update this is where I am up to...

Old 06-24-2019, 02:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update this is where I am up to...

I haven’t posted for a while but I’m still reading the threads, and processing everything. So it’s now three months since I left AH and have lived alone with my four children in a rented house. I’m doing ok! I’m struggling financially though and barely surviving. (Had to sell jewellery and borrow money from my mum to make ends meet). Two daughters have disabilities and I’m a full time carer.

AH hasn't paid any child support at all. I don’t think he can afford much and I know his two businesses are going down the pan rapidly. I’m still admin on the Facebook pages for those and I see the complaints coming in. Missed appointments, no shows, no responding to emails/ phone calls etc. He’s lost grip. He is however desperately trying to prove he’s a good father by attending all the school events and he’s even keeping a written diary of things which I guess is a good thing. I think that’s all for show though. He got his folder out in a senco meeting about our daughter with highlighted things to ask about - wow very impressive. But to me, he’s still bitter and oozes this angry energy every day.

Still it’s heartbreaking to see him falling to pieces when I’m actually feeling ok. Why do I feel so guilty? He avoids me, he clearly doesn’t want me to discuss money because when I dared to mention that a bill I’m still paying off on his behalf (credit agreement on a boiler at the house he’s now living in!) will bounce unless he can pay me his response was “oh well **** happens”. He blames me for all that’s going wrong in his life because I’ve left. Yet he didn’t even bother to fight for us. He occasionally rings me when he has an issue - expecting me to help him. His car wouldn’t start and he rang me to ask me to text him the phone number of a recovery garage even though he was at home and had WiFi! I suggested google. He replied “you know I don’t do google”. Another time he rang me to ask me to step in last minute for a job and bail him out where the new girl he’d supposedly hired for a client hadn’t turned up. I couldn’t do it I was in a supermarket at the time and she was already 45 mins late. Those times he calls me “love” like I’m his best friend!

So my next “step” may well be getting legal advice however I know that if they force him to sell the house to get me my share of the equity it will probably make him homeless and even more bitter and resentful than he is now. It’s actually a serious reality that he may default on this mortgage and the house would be repossessed though.

When I broach the topic of money he goes red faced and shakes and starts ranting about his credit card bills and mortgage and how broke he is. So I’m scared to mention it now. The house he’s in was one we rented out and we agreed he would have it so the kids had somewhere to stay with him as it’s three bedroom and the mortgage is cheaper than a rental property for him, but he’s not had them there once yet. I’m not that bothered tbh as he’s still actively drinking anyway) The cats by the way that he had are ok right now. my oldest daughter goes to check them.

Its a horrible situation. I feel like if I seek legal advice and they write to him that will then shatter any last hope I had of an amicable parenting arrangement and at least the current situation where he’s picking the kids up for the school run each day (he drinks in the evenings) they get to see him and maintains a certain “normality” and routine for them. I have tried to be reasonable and accommodating and he has even been allowed to stay and have an early tea with them when my son had cooked tacos in school and I invited him for lunch on Father’s Day -so I feel I bend over backwards but get nothing in return from him but a brick wall.

I see that I’m asking too much from an alcoholic. I’m aware he's sick and this behaviour is probably to be expected. I’m just shocked at the speed of which he’s letting his life go downhill and feel my horrible codependent side tell me I’m responsible.

thanks for letting me vent xx
Old 06-24-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update RB, I've been thinking about you and wondering how things were going for you and the kids. I hope he isn't still just barging into your new home any time he feels like it.

Please don't take on the burden of feeling responsible for him having to face the consequences of his own actions. Every thing that happens to him, good or bad, are direct results of his own good or bad behaviour. We all face hundreds of choices each day and we all reap the consequences of those choices.

Him asking all these "little" favors of you is him manipulating you to stay entangled up in his life, to make you still feel responsible and involved...like a wife and partner, BUT you are separated, those aren't your tasks to do anymore... him saying , "you know I don't do google"...that's just pathetic! There are other resources besides actual "Google" if he is morally opposed to the company or something... and if he is, would he take the information if YOU googled it?.... Oh my goodness, I'm not a violent woman but even I want to whack him with a nerf bat for that one. I hope you are telling him he needs to figure out how to do these things for himself like an adult should be able to. For both over your sakes. It's time to detangle!

You are entitled to your share of the equity in your shared property regardless of how that makes him feel. Your children are entitled to financial support from their father, that's his legal responsibility. I hope you do get some legal advice, sooner rather than later...

You are doing great, hang in there!
Old 06-24-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I totally agree with SBM's post--stay out of the little things, but quit letting him bully you about the money stuff.

That's what it boils down to, pure and simple.
You have equity, and you need to proactively go get it for not just you but the children you share with him.

Do it soon before he drinks it all away. . . that's his choice as an adult, and nothing to do with you at this point.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Holy goodness, he is such a selfish person!

If this keeps up you and your disabled children may be the ones who are homeless. Put it in perspective. You need to harden your heart, stop feeling sorry for him and do what is best for you and your children right now. I am sure if he is too scared he can do a couple of things. Number one, if he is running a business, actually do it, and do well. Number two, every business owner better learn to google or they won't be in business very long! Goodness.

You are not obligated to listen to him boo hoo about his situation. Yes, seek legal advise. Know that he is going to get angry. Too bad. This is real life and he needs to step up and support HIS children.

Sending you a big hug. I say this all kindly because I know it's painful, but now is the time to take care of you and do what is best for your children, and he is certainly not a child, even if he is acting like one!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RainingButtons View Post
I’m just shocked at the speed of which he’s letting his life go downhill and feel my horrible codependent side tell me I’m responsible.
You aren't responsible.

Let's say you stayed with him, would he be able to function a bit better day to day? Well of course, with you taking care of most things, who wouldn't.

You could take over the business and get that organized and he would be making more money.

However (and this is the you are not responsible part) did you make any of these decisions? Did you want to run that business? Do you want to take care of him day to day as his abilities diminish? Do you want to live with an alcoholic.

Even if he was sober as a judge (haven't heard that saying for a long time!) the fact is you didn't make any of those decisions, he did, now he is dropping the ball why would it be your responsibility to jump in and pick them all up and start juggling them for him?

Is it tough for him to be a single person, no doubt. In my opinion being single is much harder than being married (considering all things are equal and in a marriage with an addict or abuser they are not) but that also is not your problem. He chose this. He made a decision to keep drinking. Why should that become your responsibility?

He is not a small child. Since you left he might have some hope of seeking recovery, let's say you had stayed and propped him up and maintained the status quo, that would pretty much guarantee him running himself in to the ditch?

Never doubt you did and are doing the right thing. This stuff is hard and it's foggy, the answers do not seem clear cut because there is drama and firehouse management going on all the time.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

“I don’t do google”? So he can use his phone to text you, but getting those words into the tiny little search bar is beyond him?

He is going downhill not because of anything you did or didn’t to but because he has a progressive untreated disease. It sounds like you used to function as his supplementary brain for fixing his various problems, and now that you are resigning from that unpaid position, the real scope of his capabilities (or lack thereof) is being revealed.

You aren’t responsible for this. Look out for yourself and your kids, because no one else is going to. You’re doing the right thing.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thankyou everyone - I feel a LOT better for reading these replies and it’s put it into perspective again for me. Yes .. how ridiculous that he said he doesn’t do google! But he says stuff like that a lot! “You know I don’t like filling in forms/ringing people up to discuss tax / doing the tax returns” and so on. Now he’s got debts coming out of every corners - non filing of tax returns and fines building up. Yes it’s pathetic. He’s 56 years old! I was with him 15 years but he’s always been single before he met me he wasn’t in a long term relationship. He must have managed then.

to answer the question about him barging into my house. He does still walk in IF someone’s left the door unlocked. I’m very careful to lock it but he always tries the handle and yes would totally still walk in without knocking if I didn’t. I do need to find my backbone don’t I 😬😩. Writing this down makes you realise how weak it all sounds. But yes I have been pitying him and feeling so guilty.

I had had a terrible panic attack about three weeks ago too. I had got lost driving at 3.30am in the dark and my sat nav stopped working. I thought I was having a heart attack, I pulled over at a garage and I hyper ventilated and everything went black. I honestly have never been so scared in all my life. My daughter and her boyfriend drove two hours to find me and bring me home. I was in bits. It’s never happened before. I felt so grateful that AH went to collect my car for me as he is still insured on it. He did do that for me. I felt I couldn’t mention money for a couple of weeks after that as I felt indebted to him for that. He also came round with the strimmer and did my lawn! It’s weird. Like little favours done to keep me sweet but then money is mentioned... and boom he’s off sulking and angry again.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

. I felt so grateful that AH went to collect my car for me as he is still insured on it. He did do that for me.

or you get Triple A.

He also came round with the strimmer and did my lawn!

he's playing up to your "oh, he is so sweet, what a nice thing he did for me" so you won't but then money is mentioned... and boom he’s off sulking and angry again.

he still thinks he can win you over, get you off this "he has a drinking problem and the relationship is over" schtick and get things back to HIS normal.

there is a thread here about The Intermittent Chicken.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-chick-en.html (Don't be his chick(en)!!!)
Old 06-25-2019, 10:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
. I felt so grateful that AH went to collect my car for me as he is still insured on it. He did do that for me.

or you get Triple A.

He also came round with the strimmer and did my lawn!

he's playing up to your "oh, he is so sweet, what a nice thing he did for me" so you won't but then money is mentioned... and boom he’s off sulking and angry again.

he still thinks he can win you over, get you off this "he has a drinking problem and the relationship is over" schtick and get things back to HIS normal.

there is a thread here about The Intermittent Chicken.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-chick-en.html (Don't be his chick(en)!!!)
this thread really resonated with me. Thankyou. I’ve actually had a really tough emotional day today. I decided I needed to see a solicitor as I’m so desperately short of money. I decided one last time to reach out to AH when he dropped the kids off (i intended to actually just ask him if he could give me anything at all to help bridge the gap as it’s a week until I get my next pay. He started pleading poverty again. So I tried to gently suggest we had “other options” this required spelling out so I said “well how about we sell the house and use the money to pay off our joint debts and both start afresh?” To which he was outraged at. Apparently he’s sold everything he ever owned and this is the last thing he has. (It’s an interest only mortgage that ends soon, and he won’t be able to pay off the balance in two years time so it’ll have to be sold anyway!)
i suggested he could rent in a cheaper area which is still just as close to the kids. Again - utter rage. “I’d rather be dead than live in that **** hole” then he said that I was talking AT him and telling him to do these things. He kept trying to walk away. I pointed out that he was trying to escape and this was why I felt unable to have a two way conversation with him. I said I’d be forced to get legal advice if he refuses to discuss it calmly without loosing his rag. He said he has tried his best but it’s never good enough for me. Then... sadly I lost it. I started crying. I said to him he hasn’t tried at all! And how hurt I was that he never put up a fight for us. He let us walk away and didn’t try once to put things right. Big mistake. He saw it that I wanted him back. That wasn’t what I meant. I meant that he’d just not been prepared to change. I told him that he’d continued to drink despite me telling him over and over how it was destroying our marriage.
The quacking started. How he doesn’t drink “every night” anymore. He suggested he move in with us and sell the house so we can start again! I was honestly sobbing so much I thought I’d break and he hugged me. I’m ashamed to admit it was nice it’s what I really really craved - but no. I didn’t give in and I said no. I’m sorry but it is just too late. It’s not going to work. He looked gutted but I’m in NO doubt that this was the intermittent chicken game once again. Of COURSE it would be convenient to him to move in with us again and pick up where he left off! It’s not going to happen.

I feel emotionally drained and my eyes are bloodshot and swollen. I’ve cried so much today. I feel like I had to get that off my chest one last time before seeing a solicitor. He can’t say I ambushed him now. But I do feel incredibly sad it’s come to this.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So so sorry Raining. Walking away . . . . or rather . . . . fighting yourself free of these relationships just just sucks.

Besides a hug I hope you got a bit of solidification to see a solicitor. Not what you want but an alcoholic will take you down with them if you don't fight free.

Courage and strength to you.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yep, time for the lawyer. You are simply struggling too much financially and you have all of the burden of child care on you now.

He needs to step up, and he obviously isn't going to voluntarily.
Watch out now that he's seen you're vulnerable.
Lock the door, and keep it locked.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am so sorry RB. I remember those kind of heart breaking conversations with my AXH too. It takes a while to come back from those, they are at first so tumultuous and then so draining. It's very exhausting on top of of the heartache. It's OK to feel those feelings, better in fact to allow them and ride them all the way through. I know it hurts. *big hugs*

Try not to put too much weight on his words. After all, was it not just a few weeks ago, while claiming abject poverty, he bought himself some new golf clubs? (why would he have even told you that?) ...and he always has money for alcohol... imagine if he just didn't drink for a week and gave you that money to feed his kids with... he is full of crap

Lots of deep breaths, one foot in front of the other, and yes, please get some legal advice as soon as possible.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SmallButMighty View Post
I am so sorry RB. I remember those kind of heart breaking conversations with my AXH too. It takes a while to come back from those, they are at first so tumultuous and then so draining. It's very exhausting on top of of the heartache. It's OK to feel those feelings, better in fact to allow them and ride them all the way through. I know it hurts. *big hugs*

Try not to put too much weight on his words. After all, was it not just a few weeks ago, while claiming abject poverty, he bought himself some new golf clubs? (why would he have even told you that?) ...and he always has money for alcohol... imagine if he just didn't drink for a week and gave you that money to feed his kids with... he is full of crap

Lots of deep breaths, one foot in front of the other, and yes, please get some legal advice as soon as possible.
thankyou everyone - yes this is true and a good reminder. He also bought himself a £300 carpet, a slow cooker and a new mattress for £120. I don’t deny him one of those things but they weren’t essential and he could still sell his guitar worth over £2,000 or his Tag Heur watch. I’ve sold all my jewellery and had to borrow money from my mum to pay bills. He’s also joined a bridge club in a pub - pints don’t come cheap do they? Yes he will be spending a LOT on booze.

It would be easier if I hated him. But I don’t. And my kids heard the row which I regret. They didn’t hear the details but I had to reassure them all is ok tonight because they were both upset and I said “we were just fighting over a letter, We made up. It’s ok we both said sorry”. It’s tearing us all up.

I suspect he will pay me a token something in the next few days to try and “prove” he’s stepping up. But I’m aware that it’s gonna keep coming back to this.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Watch out now that he's seen you're vulnerable.
Lock the door, and keep it locked.
Yes. It’s staying locked
Old 06-25-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Since it's clear he refuses to deal with financial matters it's time to bring a lawyer into the situation. A third party negotiating is so much easier than dealing with someone who is incapable. What 12-step programs teach us is "I am responsible.........." for my words and actions. You didn't cause him to drink and he's responsible for the consequences.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, you have done everything that a reasonable person could do ... and now it's time for the lawyers.

It sounds like a really tough conversation. Good for you for not caving.