Notices

How to curb the sweet tooth

Old 06-12-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to curb the sweet tooth

Hello everyone

I've been reading on here and I know it's quite a common thing to develop a sugar addiction when giving up alcohol, something to do with dopamine levels etc.

Anyway I am finding myself in this boat. I thought it would just be in the initial stages when I stopped drinking but I think I really am becoming a sugar addict - biscuits, cake, ice cream I just can't get enough! and I can feel my brain getting that high from consuming these things so it's like I've replaced the buzz from alcohol with the buzz I get from eating sweet treats. Luckily I'm not gaining any weight because I have quite a vigorous exercise routine, but I am not feeling my best due to the sugar spikes and then crashing and feeling sluggish afterwards.

Will the cravings go away the longer I stay sober or is this just a new obsession I'm stuck with? Is it best just to try and cut out sugar altogether or try the moderation game? Curse my addict brain!

What's everyone else's experience with this?
Old 06-12-2019, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ps. I totally see the irony in my username
Old 06-12-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's strange that after two years of sobriety I have zero cravings for alcohol...but I'll be damned if I don't crave sweets harder than I ever craved a drink the past.

Like you I also have a disciplined exercise regimen. Since it's not interfering with my fitness goals and I'm not overdoing it I treat myself to sugar when the itch arises. I'm not going to rock the boat too much as long as I'm not craving alcohol.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had the same problem, but then sugar was my Gateway Drug. I used to steal for it and eat it in the closet and eat entire packages of sweet things when I was 5-6 years old...so I know I set myself up for the "addiction" of sugar.

Sobriety came after I had mostly tamed the sugar problem. But when I stopped drinking, the sugar became a problem again for about the first six months of sobriety when I started to work on that again.

At about 8-9 months I began to get a handle on it again. I've read and heard that keto or low-carb is pretty good for getting it under control and I tend to stay at around 125-150g per day of carbs - that is my sweet spot (no pun.) It's not keto, but it's lowish carb and is a level with which I am comfortable and can adhere to pretty easily.

I think it's an individual thing. Some people try almost abstinence, like keto. Some can do moderate use. Me, I try to limit my carbs and that takes care of it. Once a week I'll have some super sweet treat. That's all I can really allow or I spiral again.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In the past with long term sobriety ...My desire for sweets went away after a while..everyone is different I guess....

I've got 2 weeks now and I am still craving sweets....pancakes lately but i haven't made them yet...maybe I should and get it over with...

I know when I work out at the gym after about 3 weeks...my body stops craving "junk" and wants things such as salads...and healthier foods...

So possibly join a gym or work out?
Old 06-12-2019, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh, sweet sugar, how I love my sugary treats. For me, the only way to stop is abstinence. I find that after about a week my cravings are gone. But one sweet treat and I’m all in again.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I had the same problem, but then sugar was my Gateway Drug. I used to steal for it and eat it in the closet and eat entire packages of sweet things when I was 5-6 years old...so I know I set myself up for the "addiction" of sugar.
When I think back I was the exact same way as a child. I would think nothing of sitting and eating an entire packet of biscuits or chocolate bars!

I think I might have to just try and limit myself to something indulgent once a week. I've been allowing myself something every day but it spirals because I'm not satisfied with the one bit of chocolate or whatever. I end up craving more which leads to what I feel like is overeating so end up feeling like crap and sometimes I think it would just be better if I had none at all.

Don't even get me started on biscoff spread! I should not be allowed that stuff in the house. I've been eating it out of the jar with a spoon
Old 06-12-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
In the past with long term sobriety ...My desire for sweets went away after a while..everyone is different I guess....

I've got 2 weeks now and I am still craving sweets....pancakes lately but i haven't made them yet...maybe I should and get it over with...

I know when I work out at the gym after about 3 weeks...my body stops craving "junk" and wants things such as salads...and healthier foods...

So possibly join a gym or work out?
Mmm pancakes!

I work out loads if I didn't I would be huge.
I have noticed in the past though when I would workout I would make healthier food choices but I'm struggling to get a handle on it this time. Guess the sugar has to go!
Old 06-12-2019, 03:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noaddedsugar View Post
When I think back I was the exact same way as a child. I would think nothing of sitting and eating an entire packet of biscuits or chocolate bars!

I think I might have to just try and limit myself to something indulgent once a week. I've been allowing myself something every day but it spirals because I'm not satisfied with the one bit of chocolate or whatever. I end up craving more which leads to what I feel like is overeating so end up feeling like crap and sometimes I think it would just be better if I had none at all.

Don't even get me started on biscoff spread! I should not be allowed that stuff in the house. I've been eating it out of the jar with a spoon
yeh, I have a whole long list of trigger foods, and it includes wheat - so for me I had to put some limits on wheat products, too. That's how I decided on the low carb. I can fit in one serving of wheat per day. Other grains don't trigger me. Otherwise I will stay away from ice cream but I'll eat a loaf of bread or a whole bag of pretzels. It's not just sugar, though sugar is a problem.

Sugar or wheat Abstinence entirely is something I'm not ready to do for the rest of my life. I'm at a healthy weight and I allow the weekly one sweet treat. BUT I still don't buy an entire pie or a regular package of cookies because that would lead to a binge, so I buy something small...usually. It's a balancing act. I'm not willing to abstain completely from sugary treats but I know I can't moderate so I picked a one-day compromise situation.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In my opinion, having a sweet tooth is a million times better than picking up a drink. I am sat here eating wine gums as we speak, but I’m glad I am doing that than sitting here having given up and have something to drink. It will pass
Old 06-12-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I'm at a healthy weight and I allow the weekly one sweet treat. BUT I still don't buy an entire pie or a regular package of cookies because that would lead to a binge, so I buy something small...usually. It's a balancing act. I'm not willing to abstain completely from sugary treats but I know I can't moderate so I picked a one-day compromise situation.
Yes I just need to learn the art of balance. I like this one day compromise idea as well as just not buying the stuff to keep in the house so temptation is in the way. It sounds like such a simple solution to just not buy the cookies. See I went to a food festival last weekend and came home with a cookie, 2 brownies, a shortbread slice and a chocolate bar. I already have a mini cheesecake and chocolate dessert pots in the fridge and ice cream in the freezer. If I didn't have these things in the house I couldn't eat them like I have already gobbled everything I got from the festival. So I am putting strict restrictions on what I'm bringing in the house.

No one else is in charge of the food shopping so I have no excuse really.

Originally Posted by Petecrab View Post
In my opinion, having a sweet tooth is a million times better than picking up a drink. I am sat here eating wine gums as we speak, but I’m glad I am doing that than sitting here having given up and have something to drink. It will pass
OH YEAH 100% so much better!
If eating my way through a big bag of sweets helps keep me sober then I'd rather be doing that no question. I was just wondering if the sweet cravings would subside cos I'm getting into some unhealthy habits and I don't want to end up in a binge cycle that makes me miserable.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi noaddedsugar.

I've been getting sugar/sweet cravings too. I try:
Sugar free jello. Frozen raspberries (sometimes together)
Sparkling water with lime cordial.
Hot chocolate with cinnamon
This evening I had a bowl of fresh cherries
Slice of home made pie

They all hit the spot for me. Can't have chocolate or cookies in the house though or I'd lose all sense of control!
Old 06-12-2019, 04:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I was drinking I got most calories from alcohol and didn’t allow myself too many other indulgences. I figured I was healthy if I kept my weight under control. Silly, right?

So when I quit last January, I went ahead and enjoyed my sugary treats. Especially when I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn’t drink. I can’t have wine, but dammit, I can and will enjoy a double scoop of ice cream!

Anyway, I’ve been trying to strike a balance. I thought about going keto but just can’t get motivated for that. So I try to focus on overall healthy habits and getting all the nutrition in my diet that I need — fruits, veggies, protein. And I keep low sugar Greek yogurt around which mostly takes care of any desire I have for sweets.

And if I’ve been sober, exercising, sleeping, hydrating, eating my fruits and veggies, and I STILL want sweets, then I go out and get what I want. I just don’t keep it in the house to avoid pigging out.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Do A LOT of research on alcoholism and hypoglycemia!

(and adrenal fatigue)

When I quit drinking I found myself eating TONS of cookies/candies/cakes/ice cream

until it all came crashing down.

EAT HEALTHY.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yep eating healthy is the goal.

My diet isn't a constant sugar stream I do eat quite healthy the majority of the time. It's after I've had my dinner the cravings kick in! I read somewhere when we eat sugar our brains don't register we're full in the same way they do with other foods which explains why I could sit and eat a full tub of ice cream and not realise I am stuffed and feeling sick until it's all demolished.

Luckily you can now get those tubs that are around 300cals for the entire tub. Doesn't mean that's a good habit though
Old 06-12-2019, 05:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I been having Dole pineapple tidbits, juice and all, mixed with a couple scoops of cottage cheese. It's not southern butter pecan ice cream...(shut up, brain!!!), but it's like a fruit smoothie, about 400 calories instead of the 1,000 in the first "bowl" (read; half carton) of ice cream I eat. And it's pretty filling.

Or greek vanilla yogurt and fresh blueberries. You get to chew and burst the berries, so it's like a creamy flavor jolt.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ah sugar. I love it. And I eat too much of it. But I am able to control it somewhat...she says as she's popping skittles in the mouth. And a twix....ok ok I'm on vacation...and I'm in my hotel room. Alright I do it at home too....

The only way for me to really stop craving sugar is total abstinence. And I'm not ready for that!
Old 06-12-2019, 07:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by noaddedsugar View Post
I've been reading on here and I know it's quite a common thing to develop a sugar addiction when giving up alcohol, something to do with dopamine levels etc.

Anyway I am finding myself in this boat. I thought it would just be in the initial stages when I stopped drinking
With your recent relapse, you are still in the initial stage of stopping drinking. So yes, sugar is filling a void.

Acquire some long term sobriety and you'll likely find yourself consuming sugar in a less alarming manner.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yet another here.

I NEVER craved sweets as a drinker - in fact I would prefer to skip dessert most nights back then. Now I crave sugar.

I do keto and intermittent fasting and I workout in the gym progressively and intensely. Still crave that sugar molecule though. Oh well, life is so much better anyhow.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Long term sobriety will most likely take away most sugary cravings. In early sobriety I was eating candy all the time.

Luckily I can report that in my case moderation with sugar has been a lot easier than moderation with alcohol.