Notices

Just found out

Old 11-21-2004, 06:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just found out

Hi, I'm new here, not sure how to use this site. My son (37) told me two weeks ago that he has been a heroin addict for about 3 years. We don't live in the same town. I am 51/2 hours away from him. We both live in really small towns where there is not much help around. I stayed with him while he tried to kick for 12 days. He used at least twice during that time. I need some advice on how to help him. He came to me and asked to come home with me to kick and maybe stay 1 month to be away from his drug man. My husband, not his father, said no. He then asked if he called me in 2 weeks or so and said he was clean, could he stay for a month or so? Again the answer was no. Does anyone have any advice for me?
Old 11-21-2004, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Bluelake,and welcome.Does your son have health ins? Or access a treatment center? Also,I recommend Narcotics Annonymous.NA I also am a recovering addict and cannot do this alone.You mentioned being in a small town.If he cannot find NA meetings nearby,perhaps he can try AA.Maybe you can also post this in the Nar-Anon section in here.Some more advice is to try some Nar-Anon Nar-Anon or Al-Anon Al-Anon meetings for yourself.The best of luck to you and your son.Hang in there and keep reading and posting here.You can find a lot of people here in the same situation as yourself,to offer support and help.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

Just want to welcome you and let you know you should NOT feel guilty about saying no. He's got a long way to go, by enabling him won't help one bit. Please visit our NarAnon forum here, as the ladies are awesome who are where your at. Good resources and links provide above as well.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

"Enabling" is helping unacceptable behavior to continue. Just wanted to clarify that.

Ask him what he hopes to accomplish by staying with you for a month. What does he need? It's a great big world. There's lots of places he could go to get away from his drug man. Pray, then provide or don't provide.

I'm not going to tell you to turn your back on him. Mothers are forever. I'm glad I still have mine. I'm 49, she's 78. I've been AA sober almost 16 years. She doesn't understand, but she still loves me. She's been a widow almost six years. Dad didn't get it either. They're from the quick fix school. Any problem should be solvable by next Thursday at the latest. There's no such thing as a serious chronic disease.

Thank God I know better.

Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, I just wanted to say thank you to those of you that answered my post. I have been researching ways to help my son, and have gone to the Nar Aron site, ( thanks time2Surrender). There isn't a Nar Aron meeting here, or an NA meeting where he lives. He is receiving consuling through Catholic Charities. Has anyone out there heard of buprenorphine? I am considering sending him to a doctor that treats herion addiction with it. I do know what enabling is........my dad was an alcoholic till his death at 58. My son said he wanted to come to my house, (very isolated), to be away from all ways to obtain herion long enough to get clean.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Bluelake,glad to see you back.I never heard of buprenorphine.But I bet there are poeple in here that have.