Notices

Really craving right now

Old 04-06-2019, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really craving right now

I’m on day two. It’s 5pm here in the UK on this sunny(ish) Saturday, I’m home alone and the thoughts of going to the shop are nagging away at me. Earlier I bought some ice-cream to take my mind off it, ate the whole 500ml tub and then slept for two hours, but it’s still gnawing away at me. I woke up yesterday with stabbing pains in my right side which scared me so much. I’m still waiting for the results of my blood/liver test which I should get early in the week.

I’ve mentioned a couple of times in my posts that I’ve been unemployed and having a really hard time over the last 18 months - well, I had (another) interview last week for a full-time professional job, and they offered it to me. I’ll be starting a week on Monday. My mind is saying, it’s the weekend, you didn’t drink yesterday, after this week you’ll be back working Monday to Friday so there will be no drinking in the day, why not celebrate etc. But if I go and buy a bottle I won’t just have one - I’ll go back and get a second. I’ll probably end up maudlin and crying by bottle number two, and wake up feeling mentally wretched with more liver pain. Urgh I hate this so much.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not worried about you Polished. I can tell from your post that you know exactly what to do. I can also tell you know what tomorrow looks like if you drink. Revel in your sobriety and think how it will feel to start your new job clear headed and at peace. The start of something big.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

After you get done "playing the tape forward" and reliving in your mind the horrible days ahead of you if you start drinking again...start thinking of your sober future and all the wonderful opportunities that are waiting for you! Don't ruin the good things that are yet to come! You deserve a better healthier life! Give your body a break. Stop poisoning yourself. Don't drink today! You will be so ready for your first day of work because you are sober! What a great start!
Old 04-06-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What is working for me right now - is watching videos to try take my mind away from gettng another drink. I only know what people here have said to me, lots of suggestions, but they do work. It is 19:30 on Saturday here, in about 7.5 hours I will get Day 1 - Already a little corner in my mind is saying 'you could have one' - it would fix you. Is this is not insane then I dont know what is.

Maybe try to keep your mind away from alcohol - videos, music, watch movie. ANYTHING to stop think about drink. And tomorrow will come, the sun will rise and you will feel so glad I think.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Polished, try to look at this new job as a great opportunity to move forward with a good job and a sober life. If your drinking continues, it's likely to put your new job in jeopardy before very long.

Day 3 can be a tough one, but you can get through it and it will definitely get easier.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hate to be so cliche', but hang in there. Or in the case of cravings, hang onto your seat there. The first few days were the hardest for me. Day three was the worst, I came close to not making it through that day, but then things got easier.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am craving. Like mad also . And too live in the UK. I live right by a rugby club and there is always people walking around tipsy laughing and joking etc. it doesn’t help that it is a beautiful sunny day either . But I think what’s the point of drinking ? I will fell like shot tomorrow and have to start again . That is worse than the craving for me.

Try ray your best to stay strong and know I’m currently going through the same cravings right now x
Old 04-06-2019, 11:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Congrats on the job offer polished!
Old 04-06-2019, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lwv7Utcf-gM
i posted this the other day & it’s helped not just me but others stay off the booze, hope it can help you, keep strong
Old 04-06-2019, 12:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry just realized you’ve already watched it
Old 04-06-2019, 01:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am watching this video in chunks because I cant concentrate very long today in 4 hours will be 3:00 am here, and my first sober day. Unpleasant detoxing, usual stuff. Ive posted elsewhere. But I know it will pass.

This video is frightening. I don't know how much alcohol I drink. I just drink but it's been a lot, for a long time. my poor liver. I will go see doctor in a few days when Im in a better space.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you going Polished?

D
Old 04-07-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I’m sorry to report that I drank last night in the end, then again this afternoon. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. Starting again now. Sunny weather and weekends are such a trigger for me. I just couldn’t handle the mental anxiety of the cravings so I return here with my tail between my legs once again. I’m sorry.

I should get my liver test results in a day or two. I just want to know now - the fear and anxiety has had me in quite a dark mental space for over a week now.

Mummyto2 - I watched that documentary last week when I first saw you post the link. Absolutely harrowing. I cried multiple times. I think the shock of this along with the anxiety of my test results is why I feel so bleak at the moment.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Feels like self sabotage to me.

Alcoholics reward success with booze and console failure with booze. Nuts.

Lets be sob together today
Old 04-07-2019, 04:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really can't recommend having a recovery action plan enough:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

Not intending to be harsh but sunny weather and weekends should not be a good enough reason to drink.

Make a plan for the next sunny day or weekend - you can do this

D
Old 04-07-2019, 04:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If this crazy guy can get through 24 hours, anyone can. You got this, Polished.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Polished, how are you doing?

I remember we went to our first meetings around the same time last year so I feel connected to you in a way, haha. Give us an update if you're able.