Notices

Day 146

Old 04-02-2019, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 146

I am almost 5 months sober. Have not been very active here but keep on reading posts on and off.
Sobriety has definitely become the new normal in my life. I do not miss or crave alcohol at all.
I was interstate for a recovery meet up and stayed with 2 friends for the weekend. These 2 girls are big drinkers and I was in two minds staying with them but they are my friends and so decided to just go ahead and do it. They both know that I am in recovery and that I don't drink. One of them definitely has a drinking problem. She is a FIFO, fly in fly out worker on an island off Western Australia. She works 2-4 weeks and has similar time off and stays in Melbourne. On the island she is breath tested for drugs and alcohol and they have a zero tolerance policy to both. When she gets off that island as she did last Saturday she is drinking non stop. This was actually a reason that I wanted to stay with them as I actually wanted to observe her drinking!! I was happy with their soda stream and my AF soft drinks while they drank wine. It was a good sobering eye opening catch up.
I had my meet up on Saturday and it was nice to meet people I had never met face to face before. We all had various amounts of time sober but all had common goals to be AF and total abstinence.
The FIFO girl was all bloated in her face and just looked like a "drinker" the hangover look, blood shot eyes and nervous. She started drinking, like I used to, wine pretty much straight away when she woke up. We decided to go to the markets on Sunday and she was already drinking. At the markets she wanted to go to the pub. It wasn't even midday. My other friend said its closed. She crossed the road and said they would open at midday, 5 minutes away. So we went across the road and were the first people in there. She ordered
wine and I had a lemon lime and bitters.
That afternoon the FIFO girl walked me to the bus stop to take me to the airport shuttle, of course her aim was to get more wine on her way back to take home.
So the weekend was good. I had the met up and also got to "live" for 24 hours with an alcoholic in active addiction. She is in denial and thinks she is fine as she doesn't drink on the island. I don't even go there. She never asked about me not drinking, my rehab or anything to do with sobriety. The other girl is a "normie" can take or leave a drink really and is very encouraging about my recovery and very supportive. She was super proud of me and couldn't believe the physical changes in me.
Staying with them made me see what alcohol really does to people. It makes some people so obsessive about it. They want more and more. They talked about how "**** we are going to have a huge hangover tomorrow "and laughing about it. I thought it was stupid. I shrugged of even thinking about having a hangover. I am rambling on here.....
Anyway, it was good to see them both and was not tempted to drink AT ALL. I could see the changes in them drink after drink and them becoming louder and louder and then the repetitive crap talk started. It became boring, thankfully we had good music playing. I was sleeping on the couch so had to wait for them to go to bed otherwise that's exactly where I would have been hours ago!!
This is the first time I have this much time sober, my 3d attempt but this is my first REAL attempt to go alcohol free. Watching these 2 girls has made my decision to stay sober even stronger. I don't want to be like that again. So happy to be sober. My 5 months of freedom is up on Sunday. Boy what a different person I am now. Do I miss drinking. Not one bit, it has nothing to offer me. Sobriety has given me what I thought alcohol was giving me. I was under that illusion for so many many years. That's me and how I feel at 5 months. My intention is to keep going. This is the new life I have given myself and I do like it.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Good for you!
Old 04-02-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 5 months. Hopefully your friend will find her way.

D
Old 04-02-2019, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really enjoyed reading this. I'm at 20 days so far and can't wait to get to 5 months. Well done you!
Old 04-02-2019, 10:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done SydneyMan & Gray J
Old 04-02-2019, 11:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Grey.. well done. Its a rollercoaster ride. Keep in the present dont worry about the past or tomorrow. Concentrate on the now. You will have good and not so good days on this journey. Everyday the bottle is further away from you. Dont romantizise over alcohol. Remember day 1. Always remember why you here in the first place. Its hard work. Perseverance and commitment is what it takes. When you want sobriety more than drinking you are on the right path. You can do this ❤️👍
Old 04-03-2019, 02:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow are we in the same boat. The last 3 years I’ve relapsed twice - once after 8 months & again after 7 months. This AV stuff has been an eye opener & very useful. As a CPA I had to laugh at the FIFO (First In First Out). Great post about where you are & seeing what we used to be like.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations! 👍👍👍
Old 04-03-2019, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Aww thanks very much! And very wise words!! I shall take that advice

Gray.