Notices

Day 111

Old 02-27-2019, 07:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 111

Almost 4 months into my sobriety and life could not be better. Life has changed. My social life from snorting lines and going to clubs ,drinking non stop and not turning up for work are in the past. There is no question that everything changes once you go sober. Do I miss all that. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a wild all nighter but quickly remember that the wild night never ended for me. It could go on for days and then drinking my sorrows and wallowing in self pity for weeks and months on end. Sobriety has made me grow up. My social circle is tiny now. My choice. I see no point hanging around booze filled watering holes watching people get stupid and talking crap. I have been called boring. I still do what I used to do minus the booze. I travel a lot and going away tomorrow for an extra long weekend to Bali to escape Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras and its possible temptations. I am too early in my recovery to jeopardise my sobriety and sanity. I honestly never thought I would be this far. In the past I read posts here from people who had over 100 days sober and I never ever could imagine that I would one day reach similar length of sobriety. My health has improved dramatically from liver enzymes back to normal and weight back to when I was in my 20’s. Perhaps I have become a boring old fart but I like what I have become and thats all that matters in the end. Alcohol had me by my balls so tight, I could not envisage that anybody could live without drinking. I thought those people were missing out. How wrong I have been all this time. I am now seriously looking at living my life AF and drug free (occasional joint). Couple of nights ago I even refused a drink offer in my dreams. I used to have the relapse dreams in the beginning but now even my unconcious mind is AF. I love it ❤️🙏
Old 02-27-2019, 08:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, what a great and uplifting post. Especially for the newcomers, and I hope they take it to heart.
I'm the same way as you. It's been ten years for me, and I love my life, whereas I used to wallow in self-pity and jealousy and anxiety.
Now I live. Love life. Do what I want, when I want. Mostly anyway.

But good for you, and thanks again for the post on your progress. It really does get amazingly better.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go sydneyman

D
Old 02-28-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Wow, what a great and uplifting post. Especially for the newcomers, and I hope they take it to heart.
I'm the same way as you. It's been ten years for me, and I love my life, whereas I used to wallow in self-pity and jealousy and anxiety.
Now I live. Love life. Do what I want, when I want. Mostly anyway.

But good for you, and thanks again for the post on your progress. It really does get amazingly better.
Wow 10 years, a decade!!!.. That is a long long time how wonderful..Life is a clear picture now. Its a nice feeling to be able to be part of it.I am no longer controlled by a substance, I can make appointments late in the day. I have got my integrity and self confidence back. I have become the old me with a new outlook on life. This is my 3d real attempt to sober up. So how is this time different? I think it is researching a lot about alcohol what it actually is and what it does. Connecting with others in recovery. Being vigilant and seriously taking it day by day. I can only control today and preparing for tomorrow. Step by step. As the days add up I am distancing myself from the active addiction. I look at my old life and can see a lonely sad man clutching a glass after glass and becoming vile, angry and bitter at myself and then the whole world. Having that one small sip in the morning just to feel normal was a sad existence. I remember so many times when I did drink that "one" sip I often thought to myself "how did it get to this". The quitting was always going to happen later that day but obviously never did. Many years of functioning like this and spiralling further and further into addiction. I feel liberated and free. I so hope this continues. I never want the old way of living back.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you.
It took me ten years of trying to get ten years of sobriety.
What a wastrel I was. Pissed away ten years of my life. And that's not including the twenty years I drank before things got really bad and I had lost all control.
That's thirty some odd years of drinking heavily. It's a progressive, chronic and relapsing disease. This I know.

I hate to see people go through what I did.
Sounds like you're doing great, and that is wonderful. Be proud of yourself, there's nothing wrong with that.
Best to you in sobriety.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you. It is people like you that make this possible.

I am 53 and my saying is went to a party in 1980 and still haven't come home. Well I did 112 days ago. That's when I came home and unlocked that door. No I have to deal with an accumulated 4 decades of drugging and drinking. Recovery is not going to happen fast to untangle all the **** I have put my body and brain through but I have taken off on the path to recovery.
It is a progressive condition for sure. Now I can clearly see how it has progressed. From occasional house parties, stealing drinks from parents drink cabinet in my teens to pacing around at home waiting for the store to open to get booze to "settle my nerves". The fun was long gone and had become a "must have". I am lucky of my last relapse that took me to inpatient rehab. I wouldn't be writing this today if that never happened.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sydneyman View Post
Almost 4 months into my sobriety and life could not be better. Life has changed. My social life from snorting lines and going to clubs ,drinking non stop and not turning up for work are in the past. There is no question that everything changes once you go sober. Do I miss all that. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a wild all nighter but quickly remember that the wild night never ended for me. It could go on for days and then drinking my sorrows and wallowing in self pity for weeks and months on end. Sobriety has made me grow up. My social circle is tiny now. My choice. I see no point hanging around booze filled watering holes watching people get stupid and talking crap. I have been called boring. I still do what I used to do minus the booze. I travel a lot and going away tomorrow for an extra long weekend to Bali to escape Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras and its possible temptations. I am too early in my recovery to jeopardise my sobriety and sanity. I honestly never thought I would be this far. In the past I read posts here from people who had over 100 days sober and I never ever could imagine that I would one day reach similar length of sobriety. My health has improved dramatically from liver enzymes back to normal and weight back to when I was in my 20’s. Perhaps I have become a boring old fart but I like what I have become and thats all that matters in the end. Alcohol had me by my balls so tight, I could not envisage that anybody could live without drinking. I thought those people were missing out. How wrong I have been all this time. I am now seriously looking at living my life AF and drug free (occasional joint). Couple of nights ago I even refused a drink offer in my dreams. I used to have the relapse dreams in the beginning but now even my unconcious mind is AF. I love it ❤️🙏
God we are so alike, the first part of your text was me to a T 🙏💖
Old 02-28-2019, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm a month sober
I'm 84 days clean
😃🙏💖
Old 02-28-2019, 12:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey SM, that was my saying, too!
I'm fifty nine so we're close in age. I started drinking when I was fourteen. Drank like an alcoholic from the get go.
You've got a good jump on your situation, so keep it up.
And congratulations to you, Doris, on a month and eighty four days.

Let's do this together. No use going it alone. I'm still one drink away from a drunk.