Alanon wisdom

Old 02-06-2019, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alanon wisdom

I have learned that I have been affected by alcoholism and that I can feel angry about that. But I can be gentle with myself and remember that I am doing the best I can, just like the alcoholic is. I am able to see the alcoholic in my life as more than just an alcoholic. I can see the loving, caring, funny and smart person there too. I can love this person, simply and honestly. And I can love myself too.

x
Old 02-06-2019, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surfbee View Post
I can see the loving, caring, funny and smart person there too.
In AlAnon, I learn that what I focus on is what my life becomes.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have no idea why, but tonight l feel resentment. A bottle of brandy has appeared in the cupboard (open and honest LOL) and l know hes at it now lm in bed. Usually l dont give a toss..but tonight its rattling my cage. Hopefully just a blip in what was my newly found acceptance.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was surprised that the biggest challenge I faced in Alanon was being gentle with myself about my part of the problem. Thank God it's a process: two steps forward, one back. But it does work, we do change if we keep trying. Thanks for your post!
Old 02-07-2019, 01:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think acceptance is like a practice. Like yoga and meditation... You know it's good for you but you don't always have the focus or feeling to do it.... Usually due to life throwing its curveballs that can instantly throw you out of balance ....or when you feel run down / unwell....or when you've found yourself focused upon something negative that you feel is outwith your control. Or all of the above in one day lol.

My dad had a heart attack this week He's in hospital and the shock and stress meant no daily yoga and mediation, no being gentle on myself or feeling any kind of patience for those I perceive to be victims of their life experience. No patience for my boyfriend and his need to drown in his sorrows with booze. I've been feeling highly sensitive to pretty much everyone's BS.

But coming through this now I remember that yes, what i focus on my life becomes... Good and bad. And remembering that everyone is always trying their best even when they don't think they are. And even when you don't think you are or they are. You're trying your best in every moment.

And no matter where I'm at my inner guidance / Source is always there for me. This brings me a lot of comfort knowing this... And maybe today I'll start my day with my typical daily meds ( yoga and mediation). but if I don't then that's okay because I really can't be bothered anyway ! x

​​​​​​
Old 02-07-2019, 02:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Thank God it's a process: two steps forward, one back. But it does work, we do change if we keep trying
Thanks Nycdog, very true... I prefer who I am when I'm softer and gentle, towards myself and others..It's a process for sure x
Old 02-07-2019, 06:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hope your father wiil be okay, Surfbee.
Good thoughts.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is good

Ditto that. How is he doing?

It sounds like you're doing very well, overall. Ease, self-kindness and enjoyment of life through difficult times is a practice. What does your self care look like today?

((((hugs))))
Old 02-07-2019, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Surfbee, sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope he is doing better now and will mend quickly.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Maudcat, Mango, Trail x

He's to get a triple bypass in a few weeks. Doc said the plaque in his arteries shows asbestos (from his old shipyard and insulation days ) .His dad and uncles all died from asbestos heart issues .. They were all coalminers and shipyard workers. Even my gran's autopsy showed asbestos in her lungs (from washing my grandad's work clothes). Shocking. But he's coping well and looking forward to coming home... and said he's grateful for the op when it comes. He survived a heart attack 17 years ago too so he's got a very strong heart.considering!

Self care today is doing mostly nothing. I'm watching the movie Deep Impact on bbc, then I'll do my first online food shop which I'm quite excited about lol x lazy day
Old 02-07-2019, 08:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is good

Thoughts and prayers are with you, your dad and your family! One day at a time.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your dad. I also go through these ebs and flows. I was able to move past my childhood with my dad and just recognize that he did the best he could even if he sucked most of the time. Him dying was hard, but sadly I remember telling my mom that I don't think he would ever had remained sober and he was like a tortured individual. I find myself feeling the same about AH - that he's doing the best that he can do, and there is more yo him than what he drinks. I also get pretty pissed here and there for what we thought would be our life and how it will never be.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Awal View Post
I have no idea why, but tonight l feel resentment. A bottle of brandy has appeared in the cupboard (open and honest LOL) and l know hes at it now lm in bed. Usually l dont give a toss..but tonight its rattling my cage. Hopefully just a blip in what was my newly found acceptance.

sorry awal. I get it. We are both in a sort of limbo. It's not an easy path
Old 02-07-2019, 10:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clover71 View Post

Hi Clover, lm pleased to say lm back on an even keel again. I guess its normal to have dips in self control occasionally (alcoholics have them constantly!) Limbo is an excellent description.
Surfbee, sending love and wishing your father a speedy recovery xx
Old 02-08-2019, 03:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your dad. I also go through these ebs and flows. I was able to move past my childhood with my dad and just recognize that he did the best he could even if he sucked most of the time.
Hi Clover, thanks for your message and sorry about your dad but you misunderstood my posts. My dad is not an alcoholic. He's a non-drinker. My OP was about my partner.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FallenAngelina View Post
In AlAnon, I learn that what I focus on is what my life becomes.
i like that. A lot. I’m going to stop focusing on the alcoholic and focus on rebuilding my life.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I’m in the same limbo

Old 02-12-2019, 11:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lunchbox1 View Post

I’m in the same limbo

Its certainly a weird way to live...but as time goes on l focus more and more on me.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Awal View Post
Its certainly a weird way to live...but as time goes on l focus more and more on me.
Hard to do that with kids around. AH can always drag me in.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lunchbox1 View Post

Hard to do that with kids around. AH can always drag me in.
l can only imagine. Must be very tough.