Notices

New

Old 02-02-2019, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

Hello,

My name is Ben and used to drink heavily for about 5 years. 2-3 bottles of wine a day. On August 14th 2017 I woke up in the ICU after an accident caused by my drinking. It was the trigger that caused me to never want to drink again and I haven't since.

Sometimes, rarely, the desire comes up, but at the same time I feel a strong aversion towards alcohol. I feel no desire to give in to the urge. And it fades within seconds anyway.

I wanted to join this group because I feel alone. Not in life, I have friends and family, but alone as an alcoholic. I don't know anyone else with this problem and going to meetings is not an option for me. It's not anonymous enough for me in my small town and I want to keep it a secret. Plus, I'm not in a position where I need help staying sober.

I just want a place to interact and on a forum is perfect.

This is my introduction. Feel free to ask anything.

Ben
Old 02-02-2019, 04:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on almost 6 months sober! Welcome to SR. Thanks for sharing your story. You are not alone—this site is a great place with lots of support. Read, share, and post often!
Old 02-02-2019, 04:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Suzieq17 View Post
Congrats on almost 6 months sober! Welcome to SR. Thanks for sharing your story. You are not alone—this site is a great place with lots of support. Read, share, and post often!
Thanks. It's almost 1,5 years sober though. The accident was in 2017.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ben85 View Post
Hello,

My name is Ben and used to drink heavily for about 5 years. 2-3 bottles of wine a day. On August 14th 2017 I woke up in the ICU after an accident caused by my drinking. It was the trigger that caused me to never want to drink again and I haven't since.

Sometimes, rarely, the desire comes up, but at the same time I feel a strong aversion towards alcohol. I feel no desire to give in to the urge. And it fades within seconds anyway.

I wanted to join this group because I feel alone. Not in life, I have friends and family, but alone as an alcoholic. I don't know anyone else with this problem and going to meetings is not an option for me. It's not anonymous enough for me in my small town and I want to keep it a secret. Plus, I'm not in a position where I need help staying sober.

I just want a place to interact and on a forum is perfect.

This is my introduction. Feel free to ask anything.

Ben

Welcome to the family, Ben.

I'm glad you're here.

You're not alone!

Old 02-02-2019, 04:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! This forum is a great tool, full of very wise people. I think you'll like it here.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! You are doing such a great thing by joining something new/additional at a point where you've got some sobriety. Adding more tools keeps being important to me. Glad you are here!
Old 02-02-2019, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Ben.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice to have you here, Ben. SR is a great community🙂
Old 02-02-2019, 07:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Ben, and congratulations on your recovery. That's fantastic!

We are a family here and I'm glad that you've joined us.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Ben! We're so glad you joined us.
I say it all the time - you never have to feel alone. I felt the same as you - all my friends & family were social drinkers. I didn't know one single alcoholic. When my drinking was out of control & my life was threatened with my dangerous behavior, people would say,'Just have one or two'. They simply did not understand - and I didn't now how to explain it to them. Joining SR took a huge weight from me. I was able to get sober & stay that way, thanks to the courage I found by being here.
Congratulations on your sober time.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Congrats on your sober time! You've found a great place for support.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome, Ben.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Ben and welcome, SR is a great place to be
Old 02-02-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Ben - glad to have you join us

D
Old 02-02-2019, 05:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

welcome Ben
Old 02-02-2019, 11:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the kind replies!
Old 02-02-2019, 11:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello Ben. I quit shortly after you did, so we have a similar amount of sober time.

There are several of us in the second year and beyond who post on the Alcoholism forum as well.

It can be a different set of challenges when the booze cravings are gone but life still looms large around us. Welcome.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Ben and welcome.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Ben,

I'm sorry that your reason to stop had to happen the way it did. I hope you've healed fully from your accident? Waking up in a hospital would probably scare a lot of us sober, but then again - a lot of us would go right back to drinking too. Congrats on your 1.5 years!

You're not alone. You may not see us walking the streets in a small town, but I have no doubt you're the only alcoholic in that small town either. I can understand though why you might not want to out yourself in front of others in the small town where everyone knows each others business.

Out here in cyber world, there are a ton of us. I found the podcasts to be helpful in my first few weeks, besides this forum it really hit home with me on just how many other people were out there that were just like me with my drinking habits. Recovery happy hour is one of my favorites. A little more searching and there are others that have facebook groups and groups that do travel trips together. I don't have the energy for all that, this forum and some podcasts are enough for me, but if you need more friends that have similar issues, there are plenty of online groups around. It's actually too bad that there are, it just shows how evil alcohol can be and how many lives it has impacted. Anyway, welcome to this forum