Notices

Going on a trip. Alone. Dangerous?

Old 02-02-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going on a trip. Alone. Dangerous?

I live in the U.S. and have a 3 week trip planned to the Philippines. I will be leaving in 2 weeks. Perfect opportunity to throw my life back in the toilet. Who would know right? Cheap booze will be everywhere. I want to share why I think I am safe, towards the end of my drinking for at least 2 years I would never drink outside of my own home because I did not trust myself. Never at a restaurant or bar. Some may ask why I am going half way around the world by myself. Its a good question. The best years of my life were defined by my younger years being an explorer.....of everything. Hard to explain actually. Anyway, I will be checking into SR via my phone.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I travel alone all the time. I meet up with family, but I’m at the airport by myself (who’s gonna know?) . I am in my own for days, sometimes in a different country, definitely in places where nobody has any idea I have no business drinking.

Thing is, everywhere I go, there I am. And I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I have no business drinking alcohol.

As long as you are completely honest with yourself, it doesn’t matter where you go. If you don’t drink, you don’t drink.

If you aren’t yet at a place in your recovery where you understand that, do you have to have this adventure now?
Old 02-02-2019, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm by myself more now than when I was drinking. I live alone,well my daughter still lives here,but we rarely cross paths and she wouldn't even say anything if I drank,but is obviously happy that I now choose not to. I keep liqour in my home for the now very rare guests/party(funny how your 'friends' go away when the party stops),I just don't drink it. I do know the first year or so I was affraid of travel/vacations because I didn't feel 100% secure in my sobriety,but would have no issue going somewhere now. Sure they have some AA meetings over there too if you're into that.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you have a wonderful vacation in the Philippines. We're always here, so I hope you check in from time to time.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I get that Thomas. I only drank alone and have travelled the world as a single female in some places others would never go alone and been safe. I never drank on holiday as I was too worried about putting myself in danger especially in countries where the culture is not like the west and fear of being taken advantage etc. I know that the one place I can be safe from drinking is on holiday!!

Have a great time, keep safe and do your research as Philippines can be somewhere you need to be very alert and have your wits about you xx
Old 02-02-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have a safe, enjoyable trip filled with
amazing memories to treasure and share
with us here in SR.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hope you have a great trip Jeff, check in as much as you need.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not worried for you if you're not worried for you Jeff.

Its not something I d recommend for a newcomer but I don;t think of you as that anymore.

is it a vacation or a work thing?

D
Old 02-02-2019, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would just say be a bit cautious. The Philippines can be a little sketchy for a lone American tourist. Like many places, just be careful where you go and at what time etc.

The images look absolutely amazing!
Old 02-02-2019, 09:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm not worried for you if you're not worried for you Jeff.

Its not something I d recommend for a newcomer but I don;t think of you as that anymore.

is it a vacation or a work thing?

D
Hi Dee, this is a vacation. Midlife crisis? Maybe. Just need to do a "reset" on my life going forward. Plan to spend hours at a ocean side restaurant eating (and a cheek full of chewing tobacco when finished) then pondering the remainder of my life .
Old 02-02-2019, 09:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Thomas.

Phillipines? Having been there sober maybe I can offer a couple of thoughts?

Firstly, its a good place to visit sober. You need to always be aware of what's happening around you. I wouldn't say its dangerous, but it is hazardous. Its a bit wild west, western standards don't apply. You are a 'kano'......you are rich. Whatever you are at home....there you are rich. Many locals will deal with you with a mixture of deference and resentment. If you are sober & courteous, they will treat you fine. Drunk and obnoxious......you're a mark.
Second, Its a dangerous place for an alcoholic. Booze is lethally cheap, lethally potent. Full bottles of 70 - 80 proof spirits for the price of a bottle of beer in the west. You don't see many old people. Maybe this is why.

Otherwise.....enjoy the time. Any interest you show in their culture and cooking will be genuinely and warmly appreciated. The majority are good people making the best of what are usually pretty difficult circumstances.

Good luck!
Old 02-02-2019, 09:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
Hi Thomas.

Phillipines? Having been there sober maybe I can offer a couple of thoughts?

Firstly, its a good place to visit sober. You need to always be aware of what's happening around you. I wouldn't say its dangerous, but it is hazardous. Its a bit wild west, western standards don't apply. You are a 'kano'......you are rich. Whatever you are at home....there you are rich. Many locals will deal with you with a mixture of deference and resentment. If you are sober & courteous, they will treat you fine. Drunk and obnoxious......you're a mark.
Second, Its a dangerous place for an alcoholic. Booze is lethally cheap, lethally potent. Full bottles of 70 - 80 proof spirits for the price of a bottle of beer in the west. You don't see many old people. Maybe this is why.

Otherwise.....enjoy the time. Any interest you show in their culture and cooking will be genuinely and warmly appreciated. The majority are good people making the best of what are usually pretty difficult circumstances.

Good luck!
You don't see many old people
I greatly appreciate your input. I have been told I am a "bad drunk", so being sober will work to my advantage I hope, This trip is a bucket list type of event. I would be lying if I didn't say I was excited.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hope its of use.
Oh, 'bad drunk' is bad news anywhere in Asia. "face" is so important. Your bad temper and irritation causes their loss of face, their humiliation. They will act to even up the score. This is when it can get ugly.

Be patient. There are things that drive a westerner nuts. "Sorry sir, the power is off this afternoon" The menu unavailable today. The dragging queue at the single open checkout and the rest of staff standing around watching their phones.....etc etc.

Just go with the flow. You really do have all day.......
Old 02-03-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm sure there are AA meetings in the Philippines. When I used to travel for work I often googled the AA meeting schedule in my destination. I enjoyed going to different meetings and I was always welcomed with open arms when I introduced myself as a visitor at the start of the meeting. People also came up to me afterwords with offers to go get a coffee or something.