Notices

Doing something different

Old 01-31-2019, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doing something different

so this is about the time I think to myself, I feel great. I don’t really have a problem. Or maybe I do and I just think that I have more time to drink. So instead of drinking I am posting here for any support. I hate having to fight this battle. The anxiety of thinking about all this is very overwhelming.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me, when I get to that point where I feel good and think I can be "normal" and have a drink or two I very consciously remember all that alcohol has cost me that I didn't want to lose, and I replay the thousands of times I tried to be "normal" and it didn't work. At this point that works pretty well for me to calm or at least lessen the AV in my head to the point where I can maintain sobriety and move forward the way I want to. Keep reading and posting around here, and congrats to you for posting here today instead of drinking. Good luck, Cleopatra. You can do this.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know that anxiety well. It seemed like, despite my best efforts, bars or liquor stores would actually suck me in. I had little defense.
I had your same thoughts. Feel better and no problem.
I drank like that for twenty yeas and the last ten were bad.
The anxiety and obsession for me, too, were overwhelming, as you say.

I'm glad you're coming here instead of drinking. I did that a lot, too.
You're not alone in your fight. I went through it hundreds of times.
I've got ten years sober now. And trust me, you can save yourself.
You've already started.

Best to you.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

It's good that you are posting here instead of drinking. I found that I had to do a lot of things differently in my life in order to break the cycle. I would quit for a while, think I was ok, and start up again. Every time I did that I felt worse about myself. I had to really shake things up in order to get out of it. I went as far as going to outpatient treatment and going to AA several times a week at the beginning. There was no way I was going to quit and stay quit doing the same things I had been trying over and over again.

I don't know much about your story, this is just a general observation I made about myself, and I know a lot of other people had to do a similar "life shake-up" to get on the right track.

I also did something concrete along the lines of what dafunbra suggested. I actually wrote down some of the most embarrassing, cringeworthy things I had done while drinking, and wrote down what it felt like to be really really sick and hungover. Whenever I had a moment when I thought maybe drinking was an OK idea I got that out and read it. If I didn't have it with me, I just remembered what I had written. Did the trick every time.

Another common trick is to "play the tape forward." Think about what could happen or is likely to happen if you drink. That should put a damper on any desire to drink.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm really trying to do things differently as well. My first go at sobriety only revolved around quitting. This time it's revolving around living.

I'll let ya know how it goes!!
Old 01-31-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replys. I am going to make a list of everything alcohol has taken from me and what’s likely to happen / me feel if I pick up again. I am currently on naltrexone too that I have taken each morning. Meeting tonight at 5.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It can be overwhelming Cleopatra, but if you try to stay in the moment it might be more manageable. It sounds like you have some good plans.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hope you had a great meeting!
Old 01-31-2019, 06:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

anxiety sucks

support to you