Notices

I asked a guy about his God

Old 12-17-2018, 11:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I asked a guy about his God

At the MTG he shared that if he's right with himself and right with God he calm and doesn't worry about everything like he used to. I asked him what he meant by "right with God." He said it's the inner voice that knows the right thing to do.
That really helps. I get so confused about what people are talking about. I have a little voice that wants me to be sober.
Today my little voice told me to go to the meeting, talk to that guy, call 2 sober people and my sponsor. Sometimes (alot) I don't wanna do what that little voice says.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Know that you aren't the only one that feels that way. I can relate completely.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep- a little voice inside my head...…

often what I resist doing- is exactly what I need to do. Such as meetings, making one more try at supporting someone, showing forgiveness through action....
Old 12-18-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I"m glad you are listening to that voice and asking questions Pressme. Doing things we are uncomfortable with is a healthy exercise for our minds - especially when those things are of benefit to us.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not religious, so when I was attending AA and trying to work out the god/higher power 'thing' was a bit tricky for me in the beginning. I asked an 'old timer', who was also not religious, what worked for him and he pretty much said the same as your guy. He also likened it to the cartoons where there's a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other and to "stop trying to over think things... you can not outsmart this,dummy." <-He was a little old man with a super dry sense of humor and that's what I liked about him.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's cool that you asked him. I also have that little voice, which I had been drowning for years in vodka.

That little voice gets easier to listen to with practice (even if I don't always feel like doing what it says, haha.)

Best wishes to you.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's cool, Press. For me that little voice is my HP helping me with the intuition AA talks about growing in sobriety. Being guided to make the next right choice, as much of the time as possible, is definitely something I have gained in recovery.

At our meeting is morning we talked about HP. I am always interested when people share what or how they get sustenance, guidance, inspiration all that from something beyond emselves. That includes real life people and behaviors too- one of the people long term sobriety whom I respect the most is the most service and love oriented person I know. He says he doesn't believe in God but those seem like his dedicated HP to me!

Keep on in learning and questioning!
Old 12-18-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is good

Beautiful post.

Congrats on your recovery
Old 12-18-2018, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I started studying some things not alcohol related and quickly became to understand/believe their is a higher power, there just has to be. And regarding death, I have never really feared death, but now I believe in an afterlife in some dimension. Our energy will be transferred I just don't know where to.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
Today my little voice told me to go to the meeting, talk to that guy, call 2 sober people and my sponsor. Sometimes (alot) I don't wanna do what that little voice says.
Sounds like you're taking actions, contrary to that "former little voice" that you used to listen to - very nice. Many of us find we need to act ourselves (act as in take actions, not act like an actor would) into right living vs searching for a way to think ourselves into right living. Those little actions will add up...... as will working the steps. You sound like you're on the right path.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm a believer.
But, I will not brow beat you all with the Bible.
It is good to ponder about that "still small voice".
Is it my conscience or is it truly God speaking to me?
And do people that have no conscience about what they are doing still hear it anyways?
For me it is a rather corrective voice. I will hear it even when thinking bad thoughts about others. And it has never lead me wrong.
Over 5 years sober and that voice still leads me.
I hope it is never drowned out again as it was in my past.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Stone cold agnostic and I find that wisdom that comes from outside is the universe itself. There is something bigger than ourselves, and that concept is very helpful in sobriety. Is it God? Is it the sum of all of the energy in the Universe? There are certainly tons of things that we cannot sense as we don't any way to do so. Is it things like the laws of physics, which look increasingly like the Buddhist concept of what you find in Enlightenment?

Who knows. Whenever people ask me if I believe in God or am I an atheist, my stock answer is that I refuse to speculate beyond the data.

I've always been hugely intuitive, it's the only way I know how to live. I think I got sober when I got out of the way, that not consuming poison was what I would naturally do if I didn't try to control or think about stuff too much. I don't have a little voice. The whole world is constantly singing and yelling to me, I've started to figure out how to go with it.