Notices

Saturday 4.00pm and looking for support.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TheBlueMask

Saturday 4.00pm and looking for support.

Hi I had my first post a few weeks back and this is my second. If I can get through today it will be my first Saturday off drinking in at least 10 years. Just hoping someone can give me a boost to help? Thanks Blue Mask.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, you can look forward to your first sober Sunday morning in 10 years too. I can promise you this, you will not regret waking up sober.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is Friday evening where I am at. Fridays were always my biggest drinking day. I will get through the night sober. I just keeping telling myself how much regret I will have tomorrow if I drink. I know you can make it through Saturday!
Old 12-21-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can do it, BlueMask! Just focus on today, the next hour, whatever it takes to get you through. Have something good to eat, read a book, sleep, read and post here as much as you can, join the December class thread. You can definitely do this, and you will feel SO great tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey BlueMask - plenty of people here to get you through - how are you doing?

D
Old 12-21-2018, 07:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't drink! No matter what! Get thru the urges and remind yourself how much better you'll feel if you stay sober. I've never once woken up sober and wished I had drank the night before.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
TheBlueMask

On day 5 but this is my first Saturday. I didn’t want to ruin my mini ride on the wagon. Going to have a game of chess with a sober mate then a bike ride around 6 then some prison break on the lap top, so that should get me through. Thanks for all the encouragement.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
TheBlueMask

Originally Posted by least View Post
Don't drink! No matter what! Get thru the urges and remind yourself how much better you'll feel if you stay sober. I've never once woken up sober and wished I had drank the night before.
Yes I have been enjoying waking at 2 in the morning and the first thing that pops into my head is yes! I’m super tired during the days however but of course it’s not a booze tired.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like a good evening BM - remember we're here tho, if you need us

D
Old 12-21-2018, 08:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
TheBlueMask

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
sounds like a good evening BM - remember we're here tho, if you need us

D
thanks will do. Funny thing is I’m still thinking about and looking forward to having a drink tomorrow. For the last few days I’ve just been able to get over it when the crunch time comes.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Exchange that tape in your head right away to how you will enjoy being free from having a drink on Sunday .that you don’t need a drink on Sunday.

That’s so many people in the whole world will not have a drink on Sunday and they will be just fine, and so will you.

We’ve been there. Poopie. Minute by minute. Take a shower. Drink water.
Clean out a junk drawer.

Sleep. Goodness knows it took me quite a while to be able to sleep all night and feel like I used to when I was younger before I drink so much to be able to sleep all the night through

Heck, at the beginning I would take a little tiny shot of organic apple cider vinegar. And a glass of water and drink it. It was a little bit nauseating and I didn’t want to drink anything after that for at least a few hours.

congrats on day 5
Old 12-21-2018, 09:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm with u mate
Old 12-22-2018, 03:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheBlueMask View Post

Funny thing is I’m still thinking about and looking forward to having a drink tomorrow. For the last few days I’ve just been able to get over it when the crunch time comes.
You're going to have to hang onto your seat for the next few days. Eventually, you won't be looking forward to having a drink, but I know you didn't expect this to be that easy. For the first part of recovery, I haven't found anything less than full blown white knuckle resistance to cravings. Those became less bothersome after a week for me to the point where they could be managed more easily, but the hard part comes first.

Commitment to never having another drink was essential for me, because if it was just going to be a temporary vacation from alcohol, I really didn't see the point of the bother. I wanted off the merry-go-round for good, even though I was still playing head games thinking I would somehow have to be able to drink on very special occasions. This of course is a fallacy. Special occasions will always exist, but the real mind blower for me was the eventual recognition that they could be participated in without drinking.

I haven't had a drink for 23 years, and except for the first week or two, I've suffered not one bit from the absence of alcohol. And even during the white knuckle stage, the rewards for going to bed sober and getting up without a hangover, were enough blessing to keep me going.

If you feel you must maintain a life membership in the right to drink club for those times when you really need it, you're going to have a harder time. IMO, that's not how recovery works. If you are not ready for that, I don't know what else I can tell you. But if you are ready, others will tell you, you will never be disappointed living a new life without the chains of addiction pulling you under.