Notices

Meditation

Old 12-09-2018, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meditation

With the exception of 5 days in October, I've been sober since mid September and it's all been pretty easy for me. The reason I drank in October was that I went off to Spain. A friend met me there to get away from his wife - actually it was her idea. There wasn't much else to do but drink. But I didn't have much, it was the sort of drinking a normal person might do. After coming back I just fell effortlessly back into my new non drinking routine.
Being an all or nothing drinker, this 5 day moderate drinking interlude was very odd for me. Yes I've often stopped completely - once for nearly 8 years. I get that, but the "I think I've had enough," mentality was alien to me.
I'm thinking the reason I seem to be acting differently could be that I started meditating daily. I got into this after learning about AVRT which seemed to make a lot of sense, listening to the alcohol voice. I wasn't completely successful with this however.
Still I found it interesting and wondered about how the process of being aware of your thoughts might broaden out to cover areas other than alcohol. This led to meditation. Just to sit for a half hour or so and let the thoughts come and go, not censoring or pursuing them, just being aware. It may be coincidence but I'm feeling a lot better. Maybe it might work for others.
I'm interested if anyone here has tried meditation and if they found it helpful.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I find Buddhist teachings very helpful. However, proper meditation is hard to do and I don't do it often. But being mindful is very instructive. Being in the moment can stop you from drinking out of habit. That is a good thing!
Old 12-09-2018, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I meditate near daily. It has helped me. I started durring my quitting process. The mindfulness concept is is very helpful both for quitting and for changing thought patterns. I'm more mellow. I listen more. I react less. Highly recommend meditation. It is not a quick fix. I truly look forward to it daily.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I meditate daily. Sometimes for long periods of time.
It's been such a part of me, I'd feel lost without it.
It is so cathartic to me.
I also highly recommend it.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Meditation as such is not something I do but Urge Surfing sounds very similar and I've done that.

I'm glad its helping you Taplow. Congrats on your sober time and I hope it's a long term solution.

D.